iPhone X Am I unreasonable or is Apple giving me the run around?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Harlowgold1, May 24, 2018.

1. Harlowgold1 macrumors regular

Harlowgold1

In December, I purchased my third iPhone. This time it was the gorgeous iPhone X. I got the top of the line and purchased the coveted AppleCare coverage. Shortly after my purchase, people started telling me that I sounded muffled and they couldn't hear me at times. Verizon is my carrier and I typically have a strong three to four bars. I also noticed that the "dialer" (when making a call) would freeze up intermittently. The whole phone would lock up and I had to restart the phone. I did some self-diagnostics and used the voice recorder and I could hear myself. Nevertheless, people kept saying that I sounded distant and muffled. I called AppleCare and took the phone into the store and they reinstalled my software and diagnostics indicated no problems. After a week, the problem continued. I'm a diabetic and my phone is my lifeline. I went for a jog and I could feel my glucose dropping. I took some glucose tablets and I could feel it was going to be a rough attack. I went to dial my sister for assistance and the dial screen "locked" up! At that point, my shaking rendered it impossible for me to even hold the phone. Luckily, my glucose started to rise and after 30 minutes, I was strong enough to walk to my car. I called AppleCare and they made another appointment for me to meet with them. They ran diagnostics and it showed everything was functional. They said they would reinstall the software without any Apple Store applications. I asked as to "why?" I was told that it may be a bug. I thought, aren't Apple Store app's were tested to run with the IOS? I know all app's and operating systems have bugs, but when I asked how long I need to wait to add app's, I was told until the problems arises again? What?!? I expect this from an Android phone. They said, they could give me an olde phone for a couple weeks, while they test mine. Am I being unreasonable? No, I cannot make the problems replicate in the store, but why would I lie? Thanks for listening. Maybe I need a flip-phone. Sadly frustrated.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Unfortunately that’s the nature of software problems. If you can’t reproduce, you can’t fix. It’s not like hardware issue where it either works or not. It doesn’t matter how much testing is done on a piece of software, nobody can come up with every possible scenario and therefore there’d always be unreported bugs in software and especially as complicated as an operating system. If it was happening to everyone or even to you every time then it would be obvious but there’s no other way to deal with intermittent issues than just wait and hope for the best until somehow either you or they can figure out the reason.

If restoring didn’t help then I guess you can ask for a replacement and try to speak to a store manager to see if they can authorise one.

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

I’d say if you’ve restored the phone as new using iTunes(I’m assuming Apple did this at the store) and the problem is still present without any of your apps installed, you may want to call Apple CS and see if they can authorize a replacement phone. You can also try to take it to a different store, sometimes you can find more understanding employees at different locations

4. Newtons Apple, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Because you have AC+, just call them and ask for a replacement. They will put a hold on your credit card until you return the defective device. They can have a new phone to you in 24 hours!

5. Harlowgold1 thread starter macrumors regular

Harlowgold1

Thank you for responding!
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2018 ---
    Good idea...Thank you!

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Just 10 days, huh? (;

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just 10 days?

Typos just happen.

8. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

9. Harlowgold1 thread starter macrumors regular

Harlowgold1

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

It will cost you $99 for a replacement...

11. Harlowgold1 thread starter macrumors regular

Harlowgold1

Why do I believe that!

12. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Because the Apple doesn't fall far from the...fee.

(Sorry).

13. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I would first update to the 11.4 betas.. sometimes.. just an update fixes your issue.. and yes. It’s a beta.. but your only getting maybe a 10 days in advance.. so if it doesn’t help.. then try to get a replacement..

14. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

Why would it cost anything under warranty for express replacement if his phone doesn’t have physical damage? It should probably just be a hold on his card till Apple receives his phone.

15. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Apple should swap it out at an Apple store without making her pay.

16. davidmartindale macrumors regular

davidmartindale

You shouldn't. The $99 is if there is a paid repair/accidental damage. Since your issue would be covered under warranty the only thing you would have to worry about with an ERS would be the non return fee

17. Harlowgold1 thread starter macrumors regular

Harlowgold1

Hey everyone! Thanks for all your support. The phone finally just froze despite diagnostics saying everything was working. It took five visits and three hours in the store to get a resolution. I called Apple is San Jose and told them my problem. Nothing really happened, but I went back in the store and shared that I had been speaking to their San Jose HQ's and I had a new phone and a screen protector within 35 minutes!

18. osta.doc macrumors member

Glad that it worked out for you.

19. McBeresford macrumors 6502

McBeresford

Good. Not everything is easy with Apple, but they do offer good support when you find the right agent.

20. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

I wonder if there is something on carrier side. Not just Verizon. Not iPhone or iOS even. Many times software can patch system or chipset issues. And it's also happened for some Android phones, Samsung and Essential.

Sounds like a defect that production missed as well as whatever diagnostics were run.

21. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

--- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2018 ---
    no you're not being unreasonable at all!!! That sounds like a horrible experience. Whoever told you the problem may be because of an app installed from the app store is an idiot! thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    I've owned iPhone for years and in my opinion the audio and mic have always been sub par.
    They're just not that great. Also, were you on an iPhone and is the other person also on iPhone? or land line or android or doesn't matter?

I don't know why they don't just replace your phone with a new one.
    You paid enough for it. What you need to do. and this might sound out of your element but if I were you on your next appt. Just BITCH and complain and be a little loud. show them how frustrated you are. tell them about your medical condition and how you couldn't phone for help because your $1000+ iPhone X is faulty. Ask them is this what you paid for? tell them you're not happy. tell them what will make you happy.
    ask to speak to a manager. tell them you're tired of the run around and start demanding!

yeah sorry to hear that. nothing sucks more than shelling out your hard earned money for something that isn't operating to standards.