am new adc-member - but which macbook pro should i buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by annamac, Oct 23, 2008.

1. annamac macrumors member

i just became an adc member (but they did not ask me to fax anything, i just had to put my student number, and i could buy sth discounted immediately... ?)
    but now I don't know which macbook pro to buy:
    - the 2,4 GHz (as ADC member 1599,-) or
    - the 2,53 GHz (as ADC member 1999,-)

I will use it mainly for 3d programs (Maya, 3ds max under windows, AutoCAD under windows etc.), and some graphic programs.
    (I assume that word, excel and internet will run equally fast in both options..).

any advice on that?

2. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I would go for the 2.4. It's more than enough power for what you want to do. You won't even notice the difference. Save your $400 for something else. Perhaps invest the $400 and then use it as a downpayment to a new notebook in 4 years which will be money much better spent. :)

Kan-O-Z

3. PeteDaBeat macrumors newbie

New ADC Student Membership

hey,

i just became an ADC student member too. they do require you to fax a copy of your driver's license (or any form of ID that shows your birth date), and a current class schedule before they activate your one-time student hardware discount. it's all relatively fast though, so you can make your discounted purchase pretty quickly after you've faxed the necessary info.

i just picked myself up a new 2.4Ghz MBP and maxed out the RAM for another $120. pretty darn good deal! i too, think the 2.4 should be more than enough horsepower for the apps you're going to run.

hope this helped.

4. mynamesreallong macrumors member

mynamesreallong

Hey, I faxed all my junk in too. How long did it take for you to recieve an email stating they verified your stuff? Or did they send an email?

5. annamac thread starter macrumors member

hi, thanks for the advice...
    yeah, maybe 2.4 is enough (i just always get so greedy once i get into the whole shopping thing...)

anyway: the strange thing was, after logging on to ADC the first time activating my code, i immediately could long into the store with the ADC discount prices...
    now, 2 h later, i don't even find a link from the ADC member page to the ADC store... how does it work?
    and do they ask me to fax the stuff or do i just fax it?

6. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

They don't ask you, you just have to do it. I did mine earlier this week =].

I'm now trying to decide between the 2.53 and the 2.8. What I want to know is if I order the 2.8, and something goes wrong, can I return it, or is it considered a BTO? I wouldn't upgrade anything else. It already comes with the 4GB and the HD I want (I can always upgrade the HD later, as it seems really easy...even though I have no idea what I'm doing lol). Anyway, what advice can you guys give?

7. GangstaMac macrumors newbie

I would do the 2.53... As you can see the price diff is only like $200 when comprably equipeed:

MacBook Pro, 15", Aluminum
    Part Number: Z0FZ
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    250GB Serial ATA @ 7200
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
    Accessory kit
    $1,759.00

MacBook Pro, 15", Aluminum
    Part Number: Z0G0
    2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo