am thinking, upgrade to a 4S or wait untill the next iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DHS1963, Mar 22, 2012.

1. DHS1963 macrumors newbie

My launch day iPhone4 works fine. But, I am upgrade eligible. I am grandfathered in with unlimited data, and I am concerned that the next iPhone will not allow me to grandfathered (LTE).

With that said, my usage is about 600 mb/month, with a peak of 1 gb. (I work in a spot where I can not carry the phone, so it is off, and at home I use WIFI).

Furthermore, I have Verizon LTE on my new iPad, am impressed. So, I am thinking of waiting and not worrying about the grandfathered data plan.

I assume the new iPhone will continue the good battery life, easily fit in my hand (no 4.5" screen), and be the same price. I do not know what new features.

The reasons to upgrade now are:
    slightly better performance (2x CPU)
    Can get it in white (will be less likely to overheat while sitting in my car during the day)
    SIRI (maybe not)
    Known data plan
    Better camera

If the iPhone 5 (or what ever) was not on the horizon, I would upgrade today.

Any thoughts?

2. aoifeee macrumors member

I have a 4s because I had a 3g before. If I had had a 4 I would definitely not have upgraded. I never use Siri and it's only slightly faster than the 4. I wouldn't bother.

3. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4s is only a slight improvement on the 4 (I own the 4s, my dad owns the 4, so I've had hands on time with both). If you can hold out for a while, I'd wait for sure. There's no way Apple would release an incrementally (and marginally) better iPhone with the next release without letting wind out of its sails, so I'd say wait for the next 'big thing'.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Definitely wait for the next iPhone. I upgraded to the 4S only to sell it and revert back to the 4 because the upgrade wasn't enough to justify it.

5. farkingdom macrumors member

If you have the money, I say why not? I don't go waiting for the next product, or else it'll be waiting forever.
    I got the 4s mainly because of its superb camera- if you like good photos, get the 4s. Siri was useful to text and call on the road, saves me a lot of trouble. The 4S is definitely better in terms of performance and most of the big games (eg infinity blade 2) game plays are smoother.
    However, for battery life, I'm not sure since both the 4 and 4s had terrible battery lifespan.