am worried about the future of my new iPod!?!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ibby123, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ibby123 macrumors newbie

okay so i got a new iPod Touch 4th Gen 8gb two days ago...

today i was sitting with it on my leg, and i clumsily stood up, making it fall 2 feet onto wooden flooring... you can imagine my horror :eek:

it landed right on its back... without much sound, just a dull "thud", and although i do have a silicon case on it, im worried i may have ruined something inside!!! like the accelerometer or wi-fi :S

when i rotate the ipod... it takes a good 5 seconds for the screen to rotate, and youtube videos keep pausing and playing... im not sure if i messed em up of if thats just how it came... :confused:(i dropped it before it was activated with itunes... so i cant compare it before and after)

so have i ruined anything?! how sturdy is the ipod touch... will it survive many falls like that?

sorry if i sound worried over nothing... just ive been looking forward to getting the touch for a while... and now hate myself :D

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

You would be thoroughly amazed at how tough the iPod Touch is. I have a 3rd gen and no case and it has fallen several times, onto hardwood, onto my driveway, etc, etc...It is about a year old at this point and minus some thin scratching on the back it is still perfect.

Screen rotation has always felt like theres a delay for me, except of course when I'm just holding it at a weird angle and I don't want it to.:p As far as youtube pausing that is more likely your network speed.

3. ibby123 thread starter macrumors newbie

really? i've always thought of ipods to be quite fragile, well thats what ive heard anyway, but its good to hear of how durable it is :) however, have you ever noticed minor changes over time? e.g. slower wi-fi internet? im worried about damaging the antenna.

but thanks, i felt much better after reading that! most people's stories normally end up with broken screens etc...:eek:

4. BASRification macrumors member

I think you are imagining/just noticing these delays since you dropped your iPod. The iPod Touch is a pretty solid device with little/no moving parts so your iPod should be good.

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Nope! My iPod still works as good as the day I got it.

6. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

The other day I dropped my iPod Touch (latest gen) at the grocery store. It was in a gel case but landed face down. No damage. I have dropped my previous Touch several times with no damage. I would be surprised if yours was actually damaged.

7. jwhite878 macrumors regular

It sounds like it didn't fall very far. I doubt its damaged, especially since it didn't land on a corner (force is spread out over a larger area). I would think that you are imagining the little flaws in the system to be damages, especially since you have no way to compare it to what it was like before you dropped it.

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I dropped mine on concrete once. A few nicks in the screen (since I didn't have a screen-protector on), but hey, it works!