Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Had it for a week now, got it off ebay just like new. I am seriously amazed by the macbook air , build quality , portability , screen quality and performance are seriously under advertised

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
I've never used a MacBook air for longer than a few minutes, does it get as hot as the MacBook Pro? Do the fans make as much noise, especially when it's on your lap/bed?

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
No fan noise at all, doubt there is a fan in here as I've never heard it but I could be wrong and obviously no hardrive noise as its solidstate (no hardrive moving parts) totally silent computing

I am using it for photo editing, basic web design, itunes, and email. It gets warm but not hot at all. I use a imac at work and have used macbook pro's in the past and I expected this air to be a compromise but it really does perform amazingly

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
The only time you can actually hear some fan noise is when it is hooked up to a TBD.

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
The only time you can actually hear some fan noise is when it is hooked up to a TBD.

Must be as its using more graphical power when connected to a TBD, as Ive used my macbook air for quite demanding stuff and Ive never heard the fan

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, the only time I have heard the fan is when I am watching flash videos for a bit. Beyond that, it never pops on.

As you said, it is an extremely well built machine. :)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've never used a MacBook air for longer than a few minutes, does it get as hot as the MacBook Pro? Do the fans make as much noise, especially when it's on your lap/bed?

The fans will kick up when working hard and not well ventilated, but no, it gets nowhere near as hot as my macbook pro...

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
I use a TBD on my 11" air, and it doesn't really add to the CPU fan speed under normal useage.
It certainly ramps up if there is a flash video running as an advertisement in the background. Thats where iStatPro comes to the rescue so I can keep an eye on things.
:D

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The Air is an amazing portable.

There's some magic going on here because i've gotten on MBP 13" with SSD in them and the Air still feels as fast.

I think that it offers some advantages in the form of OS or Firmware tweaks that are optimized for SSD.

The Air being SSD only means the OS never has to make assumptions. It knows it's going to get SSD speed access to storage.

This is why i'm bullish on all future Macs having SSD at some level standard.

Rorlow

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
Detroit, MI
I just picked up a new 11" MBA with 1.8 I7 & 256GB, and am amazed with the performance of it. I picked this over a new ipad 3 for travel (have a 1st gen ipad) and am really glad I did. I use all the "air" features a lot & love them

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Extremely powerful! I played thru 50+ hours of Skyrim and 40+ hours of Mass Effect 3 on it!

Fans will kick on like jets if you game on it or do anything flash based! But mostly very quiet!

TyroneShoes2

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Not so fast...

"Fast" may be a relative term.

Compared to my 2003 12.1 PB? Blazing.

But it (a 2011 13" 1.7 i5) hardly feels fast when applying filters in Aperture. I had a birthday while waiting for a couple of spot-and-patch routines to render.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
its fast.
but yes, fast is relative

if you compare it though to your average desktop computer that you'd buy from a major retail store, it'll be on par or snappier due to things like SSDs.

For your average computer user, it's going to feel like a very snappy powerfull machine. And there's no complaints. it's the fastest and most powerfull lappy i've ever owned.

But if you're a desktop user with a more customized experience, higher end parts and a machine built to be a powerhorse, You'll notice that it's not quite up to speed.

Things that really leverage multiple cores and really use up a lot of CPU cycles and memory will just not compete. Gaming is an example of something the MBA, while it can do, will never keep up. I'm sure we can all think of other examples where the power just isn't there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.