amazing battery life on replacement iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iKaushal, Oct 18, 2013.

1. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

Few days back I got my 10 months old iPhone 5 -64 GB black model exchanged by Apple bcoz it had a faulty power button.

The old phone with iOS 7 used to give me 5 to 6 hrs of usage and close to 8-10 hours of standby time.

However the new one is just amazing..!! 7 hours of usage and more than 18 hours of standby and it still has more than 20 % left..!! wow

And i didnt even set it up as a new phone, I had restored my old data into it. Also when I got it, I did 1 complete battery charge and discharge cycle.

here is a screenshot:
    iphone usage.jpg

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Glad to hear your replacement exceeded expectations. :) How would you describe your usage?

3. iKaushal thread starter macrumors 6502

iKaushal

I'm a heavy user.

I use the phone to talk a lot and extensive use of internet : Safari, Mail, BBM, whatsapp, twitter, FB and instagram.

Also lot of gaming on phone.

This is for the first time I'm having an iPhone with BBM and Nokia battery :D

PS: I've owned iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4 & 5. This is by far the best battery performance on it.

4. iKaushal thread starter macrumors 6502

iKaushal

An update:

My iphone 5 lasted a full 24 hours standby and close to 9 hours of usage before turning off to zero % battery :apple: :)

image.jpg

5. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

That's awesome, I wish my replacement iPhone's battery performed that well. I'm lucky to get five hours of usage, I always end up left with only 4 before I would need to charge it.

6. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I got a good one too on the 5S. It's amazing. I guess there are phones on the high end and some on the low end to get these averages. Mine is stellar as well!! Guess we just got lucky!!

7. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

They say if your car is running unusually fast then something is wrong lol

8. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Lucky, I get around 6 hours of gaming plus heavy twitter usage on my 5s. It's better than my 4S, but it could be a lot better... Maybe it's because I'm in a zone with bad coverage :p

9. kre62 macrumors 68000

According to your phone, you plugged it in during this cycle, thus invalidating your results

10. ATC, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

ATC macrumors 6502a

My flawless iP5's sleep/power button stopped working a couple of weeks ago so Apple sent me a replacement. The first one I got had a good size scratch on the display right out of the box. Second one had 4 deep dings on the sides, looked like someone drop tested the iPhone on concrete half a dozen times before neatly packing it back into one of those white refurb boxes. :cool:

Just received the third one last week and cosmetically this one is good. It has a dust/lint particle behind the rear camera lens glass but I haven't seen it show up in pictures so I think it's a keeper.

On the whole though I haven't been impressed with the quality of the refurb units.

On the plus side, the battery on the new one is pretty impressive (With everything enabled; Wifi, BT, Background App Refresh, motion, push everything, etc...)

Edit: I also hadn't set it up as new, it was restored with all my old stuff put back on to it.

Attached Files:

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I noticed that too, but I figured his results very probably valid, but maybe a tad overstated.

I have a similar experience. My iphone 5 has had pretty awful battery performance since around April. I was getting about 4 hours of use time, but the office I was working in didn't have wifi available, so I was on LTE all day.

When I got back to the home office (with wifi), my usage time went up to about 5 hours.

My usage is mainly twitter, safari, Facebook, email, iMessages, and Real Racing 3. RE3 kills the battery.

Anyways, I took it in on Friday and the guy ran a diagnostic on the battery. Said the battery shows up "failed" and said they needed 30 minutes to swap the battery. He gave me a few minutes to back up and that was that.

Today is the first day on a full charge. I've got 5h49m with 15% left. Standby is at 15h27m.

I'm estimating about a 30% increase in battery life. Still a small sample size.

Taking my wife's phone in tomorrow.

12. iKaushal thread starter macrumors 6502

iKaushal

I had synced with my laptop...so I guess that got counted as plugged in. But the sync had taken just a couple of mins. So there was hardly any charging.

Anyways I will again post a screenshot of my current usage in a couple of mins.

13. iKaushal thread starter macrumors 6502

iKaushal

My current usage since last charge. Usage pattern pretty much similar to the one I mentioned earlier.

image.jpg

14. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Congrats. :cool:

15. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Yes congrats. You have a one of a kind special phone. Enjoy it.

16. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Got a replacement phone aswell, for the same reason OP got one, and I experience the same thing. Much better battery.