Amazing credit given by AT&T!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike J, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Mike J macrumors regular

So I just contacted AT&T via live chat about waiving my new line activation fee (I had talked to them earlier, when the thread was started about it, but I couldn't get it done until I had actually been billed for it.)

So anyway, I had set up a new line within my family plan (actually for use by somebody in the family, not just to get the iPhone 5 early and pay the $10 a month for the line), and I took advantage of that to get my iPhone 5.

I had to set up a data plan to activate it because of the mandatory data plan on iPhones, but it was shortly deactivated.

AT&T stuck me with an $8 prorated charge for the data plan which had been active for 20 minutes and no data was used. It's not much, but still something I shouldn't have to pay $8 for.

After my upgrade fee was waived by a lady on chat, she was being a little difficult about the other charges, so I ended the chat and started a new one.

So, the nice guy on the other end of the chat had dropped my prorated charge, and gave me some credit towards my account.

After the upgrade fee waiver, with the fees and everything, my balance was $180 and some change.

I just got this message from the guy on the chat:

"I have adjusted the prorated charge, as well as gave you a courtesy credit for the issue, the adjustment was $63.74, which makes your new balance $116.64"

Needless to say, I'm very happy :D

2. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

I've had great experiences with AT&T helping with charges on my account.

3. mok23 macrumors member

I've set up a brand new account (family) with 4 lines.. Any way for AT&T to waive the one time activation fees? All 4 phones are iPhone 5's that have not been activated or shipped yet. is there any way to make AT&T waive or credit some money since I waited so long or something? Or do I have to do that after I activated all the iPhones

4. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

The only thing you need to do is ask. Be polite; let them know that you would just like the courtesy. They probably get yelled at all day. They might appreciate a nice request :)

5. Mike J thread starter macrumors regular

That & check out the thread somewhere around here about the fees being dropped. People have reported about several activation fees being dropped via at&t online chat.

You might want to wait until they've been shipped and activated though, as they can't waive a charge you haven't been billed for yet.

But yes, be nice about it. All I wanted was the $8 prorated data fee waived, instead, i got a full $63 of credit (aside from the $36 activation fee waived)

6. mok23 macrumors member

Do you remember what guy you talked to? maybe I can talk to the same person.. I just don't know how to word it. Do I flat out say.. "Is it possible for my one time activate fee(s) to be waived? I've waited over a month for my phones on top of that paying another extra $143. Can you kindly if you can, try to waive or give some sort of credit?" I guess it would be smart to do it after the phones have arrived.. Maybe ill do both? Talk to them right now if it doesn't work talk to them when the phone is activated? :)

7. Mike J thread starter macrumors regular

Check this thread out

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1451998

I copied and pasted what the original poster said, but with your new family plan or whatever you have going on, you might want to reword it a little bit.

And remember if the first person gives you some trouble, try starting a new chat :D

The way that it worked for me is that I got credit on my account instead of a waive, but it's pretty much the same result.

8. sch11 macrumors member

They shouldn't issue bogus charges against your account in the first place. For every person who complains and gets a credit, there are probably many who are getting ripped off and don't realize it or aren't able to get the charges waived (due to lack of time, motivation or otherwise).

9. Mike J thread starter macrumors regular

true

10. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

I have the same experience by talking to atT and emphasizing my 15 year customer loyalty I was able to get numerous credits to help me offset the cost of the new iPhone 5which I was eligible for an early upgrade

I really appreciate the fact that ATT was willing to work for me and provide me with the amount of credits that they did which was about $450 value

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I too asked for a credit to offset my iPhone 5 early upgrade and they credited me $280 plus waived the $36 upgrade fee. I have had great experiences with AT&T Customer Relations.

12. megapopular macrumors 6502a

That's decent but my credit last month was for a total of $216... Which was the activation fee waived and I also got texting unlimited ($30 monthly) removed for 6 months. All via web chat.