Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anna

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2003
Australia
My iPod displayed the flat battery symbol (the battery with the exclamation mark) so i was just playing around and decided to hard reset it (MENU) + (MIDDLE BUTTON) + (PLAY/STOP) and up came the apple symbol and my music playlists so i started to play a song. It played for an amazing 12 minutes and 30 seconds before switching off. Has anyone else tried that or can varify my find? I have a 2nd Gen 20gig iPod.

stoid

macrumors 601
I have a 3rd Gen iPod, but I don't know if you want to do that anyway. The iPod may leave a battery buffer so that it's battery does not run completely dead. I thought that I read somewhere that if you let your iPod (and cell phone and PDA) battery run completely dead it can shorten it's lifespan.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
That battery symbol with an exclamation mark is just a warning, meaning that the battery on the iPod is about to run out of juice.

It is never a good idea run the iPod after you get the exclamation mark thing because the types of batteries the iPod uses need to always have some juice in them. The reason they do is because there is a regulator in the iPod that prevents the iPod from overcharging itself and ruining the iPod's battery, that regulator thing needs to always be running other wise when you go to charge the iPod you risk damaging the battery.

I vaguely remember something about this on http://www.ipodlounge.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.