Amazing: Tripped sensor—replacement with no questions asked!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahh, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ahh macrumors newbie

I posted a few days ago about the probability of getting an i4S replaced despite the sensor being activated. So, I finally got a chance to go to the Apple store, feeling ashamed of having to ask for a replacement, pondering whether I would end up having to argue for the warranty. I come to the councils I would just take the phone as is (I paid full price on this thing) if I didn't get a good deal. After waiting for my appointment, I tell the guy the problem, he automatically checks the warranty, and says "I'll be right back. I'll get you a replacement." I'm so stunned I forget I can't even utter the words "Thank you", and instead I just nod.

That's it! Didn't even check the sensor! :D The rest of the phone was working perfectly fine (problem was the sleep button), so I guess he just assumed it was manufacturing defect, or 2) that it was pointless to check all sensors when there was only one little problem. Good thing, 'cause I'm not very good at arguing for a phone lol. The girl before me even had to scream haha, BUT her phone was smashed.

I love Apple. I was already hating on all my Apple products thinking of the possibility my warranty would be "void" LOL!

Well, thought I'd share the story of yet another Apple satisfied customer.

2. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Your tripped liquid sensor had nothing to do with the mechanical failure of your sleep/wake button.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Respectfully, how do you know this?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think they have to check all the sensors now to verify that it's been in contact with water.

My phone had a tripped sensor in the dock but it's never been in water. Even the dock was white. At first she said she couldn't do it, but I told her that these sensors trip all the time. She asked me "from what?" and I told her "from humidity". Even told her to open up the phone herself to verify. In the end they did replace it. :)

5. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Because I have seen the sleep/wake button fail/jam on phones where the liquid sensor was not tripped.

The sensors will not trip from humidity except extreme humidity like if you were to take a shower and have your phone in the bathroom with you. You wouldn't do that with your computer would you?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sure... but that does not mean that if the phone gets wet, the moisture is NOT what caused the damage.

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I have my phone in the bathroom while taking hot showers and my sensors are fine.

8. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Ok, but to prove that you would have to take apart the whole phone and find corrosion. Apple doesn't do that, so a mechanical issue even with a tripped liquid sensor still qualifies as being covered under the warranty.

Its only a matter of time.

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Seeing as how my sensors never tripped with my iPhone 3G and 4 I think I should be ok.

10. ahh, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

ahh thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I had a friend whose volume buttons stopped functioning once it got wet (rain), but sensors weren't tripped haha. Who knows?

And well, I've heard of people having to argue with Apple to get a repair/replacement/(or even) support for legitimate problems on their iPhone because of one tripped sensor, since these services are part of warranty itself. Even someone here told me my warranty was void lol!

Besides, I know mine came into contact with water, even though it was a little bit (Ghost Armor); it's just it was unrelated to the issue with the button (as far as I know). Some of the people online were saying theirs were activated because of sweat and lost all services associated with the warranty! Crazy!

Either way, I am glad they didn't even ask me anything.

Yeah, see, I didn't even have to argue it, or explain anything. I would have been screwed because I am not very good at arguing stuff like this.. I am always the one paying for bad food lol.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Let me put it this way. It's up to the discretion of the Apple employee. They don't HAVE to replace the thing if it's mechanical and the sensor is tripped. The only thing that would never be related to moisture is some form of strange software issue. That was my point to begin with.

12. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Well sure it is, and no one said what was required or not... its just that Ive never seen a sleep/wake button failure caused by liquid damage.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I understand where you were coming from now. Perhaps I was stuck on your terminology before. Stating that a broken sleep/wake button has nothing to do with potential water damage is a fallacy, in my eyes anyway. I guess you meant you had never seen one. I read it as "it can't happen", hence the correction.

14. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Exactly, I could have been clearer. And you're right, I meant I had never seen it, not that it wasn't possible.

15. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

This is a very well documented problem with the iPhone 4 and 4s. When it happened to mine the genius told me he had the same problem and sees others come in with it too.

Also BTW, Apple changed their stance on the water sensor. I think now both an inside and outside sensor have to be set off or all sensors do. Whatever it was they made it easier for customers.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Their stance now is merely that they cannot refuse a replacement based solely on a sensor being tripped if there is no way the issue could be caused by water damage. An example of this might be dust under the screen alongside a tripped sensor. Obviously the dust is not a result or symptom of water damage, so they will not decline your warranty exchange on that fact alone.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not with a computer, but I did it with my phone. I don't do it anymore though.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

And I've gone three days without seeing a sunrise...That doesn't mean we all live in Alaska.

19. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

take my computer in the bathroom while I'm showering? yes. I would. I do. That's how I listen to music. It's been fine (and should be).

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How should it be? I'm just asking, I personally wouldn't take a $2,100.00 piece of electronics into a high heat/humidity/moisture environment, but that's just me. Speakers in the bathroom with the connection outside is really the only smart way to do this, especially if you're actually closing the bathroom door while showering.

21. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Apple customer service is truly #1. I jumped into a swimming pool last summer with my iPhone (expired warranty) in my pocket. Called them to order replacement, and they replaced it. Awesome.

----------

I stick my iPhone in a ziplock sandwich baggie and take it into the shower and sit it on the higher wall shelf. No moisture ever got inside the bag, and the sound is still awesome.
    I'm a stock trader and work from home, and occasionally need to get a shower during the business day and don't want to miss anything on my CNBC live streamer on the Etrade Mobile Pro app.

The wife thinks I'm nuts.

22. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

ugh huh.