Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today introduced a new app called "Amazon App: Browse, Search, and Shop," which is designed to let users look for and purchase items from Amazon.com.

Anyone can use Amazon's new app to browse through and search for products using dictation, but to make a purchase, an Amazon Prime membership is required. Amazon Prime costs $99 per year and offers benefits like Amazon Video and free two-day shipping.

amazonappletv.jpg

Amazon App includes product details, reviews, and "immersive" product images and videos, all of which can be viewed on the television screen. Purchases are made using the Apple TV remote, but users can also add items to a list to purchase later via an iPhone or computer.

Many Apple TV owners have long been hoping for an app that brings Amazon's Prime Video offerings to Apple's set-top box, but this is not that app. It's limited to shopping only.

Amazon's new app can be downloaded on fourth-generation Apple TV models for free.

Article Link: Amazon Debuts App For Shopping on the Apple TV

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
So you can get a shopping app on Apple TV, but Apple won't work with you on a Prime Video app? It's so weird when things just don't add up. Please note his comment is soaked in sarcasm.

Last edited:

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Exactly. I'm with the other posters here. I would tend to think that the "Prime Video" app might drive an uptick in Prime memberships more than this....

Love Amazon, but I don't see my TV being used to buy anything from them.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Seriously. I will never use this. I would use prime video a lot but since that isn't available on Apple TV I never watch it. Amazon is being moronic on that holdout.

AstroRob

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Wow, Amazon is really pissing me off with this. I've been waiting for that Prime video app for quite a while... while shopping on the TV is nowhere on the list of things I would ever do since it will always be an inferior experience to an interactable surface.

Reactions: oneteam

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I sympathise for all those wanting Prime video on the AppleTV, and likewise I'm still waiting for iTunes access on my Amazon FireTV too, maybe they could have some kind of ceasefire and both make everyone happy?

Oh, I'm sorry, I appear to have been typing in my sleep again! Nevermind.

AstroRob

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
FWIW, I went onto Amazon online chat to complain about porting a shopping app instead of Prime video and got this response:

"Robert, I would like to inform you that we are constantly working to get available the Amazon Video App on Apple TV However Amazon Shopping App is already launched on Apple TV and soon the Amazon Video App will also show up there."

I hope that's a sooner than later.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
...I would use prime video a lot but since that isn't available on Apple TV I never watch it...
You're apparently in a minority. At this time, whether or not AppleTV owners have a Prime Video app doesn't appear to be a priority. Prime memberships set another record this year, up 20% over the same period last year -- 49.5 million subscribers. Maybe once the ATV4 has a more significant market share, an app will suddenly appear... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zapmymac

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Maybe once the ATV4 has a more significant market share, an app will suddenly appear... :)

When Amazon stopped selling AppleTV and Chromecast/Nexus devices, they were, respectively, the top 14th and top 6th selling electronic devices on Amazon. That's really high up there considering everything that Amazon sells in their electronics department.

Clearly Amazon just wanted to block competition regardless of how well the devices were selling.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
When Amazon stopped selling AppleTV and Chromecast/Nexus devices, they were, respectively, the top 14th and top 6th selling electronic devices on Amazon...
Can you buy FireTV's at the Apple Store? Amazon music and/or video? Amazon never carried the ATV4, so that comparison doesn't really apply.

Reactions: sinsin07

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
While they fight, I fix it myself. Have a FireTV (inexpensive) and Apple TV. Prefer the Apple TV but Prime for my needs a very good value, so just switch to a FireTV for Prime and Apple for others. Not perfect but solves my issues without having to get all pissed off, and a very inexpensive option. Now, I will cheer if Amazon gets an Apple TV app. Until then, content drives my hardware selection and useage.

Reactions: sinsin07

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
When Amazon stopped selling AppleTV and Chromecast/Nexus devices, they were, respectively, the top 14th and top 6th selling electronic devices on Amazon. That's really high up there considering everything that Amazon sells in their electronics department.

Clearly Amazon just wanted to block competition regardless of how well the devices were selling.
Apple Continues To Surprise No One, Officially Removes Rival Fitness Trackers From Stores
Apple removes all Bose products from its online store

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
While they fight, I fix it myself. Have a FireTV (inexpensive) and Apple TV. Prefer the Apple TV but Prime for my needs a very good value, so just switch to a FireTV for Prime and Apple for others. Not perfect but solves my issues without having to get all pissed off, and a very inexpensive option. Now, I will cheer if Amazon gets an Apple TV app. Until then, content drives my hardware selection and useage.

Why do that when you can just AirPlay from the Instant Video app on your phone or iPad? Seems like it would be quicker and more seamless IMO.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Exactly what I do.
Changing inputs is similar to changing channels.
No biggie.
[doublepost=1481674221][/doublepost]
Why do that when you can just AirPlay from the Instant Video app on your phone or iPad? Seems like it would be quicker and more seamless IMO.
No, its not.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Tried that, worked but more then a few issues. Sound out of the Airplay to HDMI to TV to Sonos, a pain in backside to name a big one. Just easier, got a $70 deal on the FireTv, worth the price to fix this stupid argument until it gets resolved. These companies, both Apple and Amazon, seem to think the only solution we consumers want is a one stop solution.

Reactions: rpramanik
Definitely good news. I would expect a video app in the near future. However, I'll say that I just tried this app and it's not very good...

No, its not.

Personally I think it's more a mental barrier than anything. People tend to think first about using the medium directly on the TV. I tried streaming from the Amazon video app once and it was IMO a better experience. It had information about what I was watching and better controls.

That being said, where it really falls short is a) the group experience of picking something out and b) the need to unlock/use your phone for everything.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Definitely good news. I would expect a video app in the near future. However, I'll say that I just tried this app and it's not very good...

Personally I think it's more a mental barrier than anything. People tend to think first about using the medium directly on the TV. I tried streaming from the Amazon video app once and it was IMO a better experience. It had information about what I was watching and better controls.

That being said, where it really falls short is a) the group experience of picking something out and b) the need to unlock/use your phone for everything.
Nah no mental barrier.
Its just faster, especially if you have a universal remote.
Secondly, what information do you get on the app that's not available on the FireTV? I get additional information on shows as well, like popups of what actors are currently on the screen, etc.
Lastly, for my experience, I rather not fiddle with control on an IOS device, much easier to use memory muscle on physical remote.

Edit: Plus if I was really in need of control from an iOS device I would use the Firestick IOS app which has much better features than the Amazon Prime video app.

Last edited:

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
While they fight, I fix it myself. Have a FireTV (inexpensive) and Apple TV.
Same here... almost -- I went with the 2016 Roku Streaming stick for my 2nd option. Wireless audio/video were slightly out of sync with the FireTV and the Plex app is much nicer on the Roku; antiquated on the FTV. I don't think there is one streaming product for everyone at this time -- seems common to go with a couple.

Last edited:

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009

Maybe you're right, maybe it is a mentel barrier. I guess for me it's almost second nature at this point because I did it this way for 5 years with Plex, AirPlaying from an iPad on my end table to an ATV2/3, when it was the only option beyond hooking a Mac up to the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.