Amazon has Speck Pixelskin HD for half the cost of Speck website. Legit?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by The Toddler, Mar 18, 2012.

1. The Toddler macrumors member

The Toddler

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yep. I got my Candyshell on Amazon for 18 bucks. I got mine straight from Amazon too. I can't explain the discount, but if it says it's from Amazon, it's definitely legitimate.

3. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I'm not so sure I would count on everything from Amazon as being original. I have seen some complaints on this board from people who have bought cases from them and they appear to be counterfeit. :eek:

4. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

The black and cobalt ones are now $7-$8. Candyshell on sale for $5.99.

5. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I used to work at a major electronics retailer. The employee discount was the wholesale price plus 10%. Cell phone cases were very, very cheap, so I'm not surprised by Amazon's prices at all.

6. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I got the Pixelskin from Amazon and the fit was horrible, put it back in the mail for a return the same day. Not sure if I just got a bad one or what but I was not pleased.

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I bought one of these from one of their 3rd party distributors the other day and am still waiting on it. I would be very surprised if it were a knockoff.

There is a local wireless store here in my area that sells cases very cheap. Speck Candyshells for $13.99, Mophie Juice Pack Air for $39.99 and cheap Otterbox cases. I have seen them all and they are legit.

8. The Toddler thread starter macrumors member

The Toddler

The amazon link above no longer directly points to the "sold by amazon" version, and apparently the price has dropped 5 cents to $14.89.

Jmies419, have you tried a pixelskin from another vendor? Just curious if only the one you got from amazon fit poorly vs a pixelskin you got somewhere else.

9. The Toddler thread starter macrumors member

The Toddler

Now it's gone up to $17.27! The price for this thing fluctuates more than the price of gasoline.

10. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

According to speck, if the seller is amazon themselves then the items are legit.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Yeah I saw a tweet about this yesterday.

12. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I received the case the other day and it's perfectly legit.

13. The Toddler thread starter macrumors member

The Toddler

And today's price is $16.05! What the?

Here's a link to Speck's Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/#!/speckproducts

They say that as long as the seller is Amazon LLC, it is a legitimate product.

14. The Toddler thread starter macrumors member

The Toddler

My Amazon-ordered Pixelskin showed up this weekend. The final sale price was $14.75. It appears to be legit, although it's in different packaging from the one found in the Apple store the last time I was there. But from sight, feel, and fit, it's identical to the Pixelskin HD I have been using for the past five months.