Amazon Kindle Upgraded; '08 sales out-paced iPod's 1st year.

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Unspeaked, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Kindle 2.0 due next week.

Rumor is 500,000 of Kindle 1.0 sold last year, and projected sales of $1.2 billion in 2009.

UPDATE

Looks like the number for first year sales may be closer to 750,000. That would put it well ahead of initial iPod sales on its first year of launch (as the article referenced likes to point out for some strange reason, since they don't really do the same thing...).

2. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Yup, Apple need to be real careful with this.

Amazon Kindle is already leading the mindhsare in e-books.

I for one would love an iPod Touch with a 7" touchscreen to be an e-reader and everything else netbooky and iPod touchy...but it seems like Apple are gonna let this one slip by...

Apple need to watch out and get their own Kindle Killer to market before the word Kindle becomes synonymous with e-reader, e-books and so on...

I could see myself buying one of these things if they really get it right.

3. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

And it's official.

LINK

[​IMG]

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I am really tempted to get one. Looks pretty cool. Although I wish they'd get rid of the huge keyboard.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why all the references to apple and ipods?
    The kindle isnt even the same market.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I really can't see how this can dig into apples sales, in any way, at all... It's a utterly unrelated device :confused:

I doubt apple releasing a 7" iPod touch would help matters, it would be hideously overpriced compared to the Kindle, so why bother, entering a market you have an overkill tech for doesn't make sense...

7. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I remember all of the loyalists saying the Kindle would never be relevant...:rolleyes:

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its not relevant, not to apple any way. So those "loyalists" were right.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Why is it so expensive? There is little Kindle can do that a netbook can't.

A netbook is way more flexible, too.

And why isn't this on amazon.ca?

10. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

While I am not in the market for a Kindle or similar device, I have seen one and it isn’t bad

Now, I don’t get the comparison to first year sales of Kindle versus first year sales for the iPod. It’s not that they are in different markets, or basically aren’t competing products - it’s that the ‘gadget’ market today is a much different place than it was when the iPod was launched - and I think a lot of the changes and uptake of various gadgets over the years are in fact due to the iPod. Can you imagine the Kindle selling anywhere near as many units as the iPod did 7-8 years ago if it were launched 7-8 years ago? I don’t. I think the iPod shifted peoples understanding, acceptance and willingness to incorporate gadgets into their daily life. I don’t think any other product has done this. Sure there were Palm and other devices, but I don’t know if these would have driven technology without the iPod to push innovation.

Anyway, just my 2 cents or whatever currency equivalent depending on where you are reading this (and factoring in pitiful exchange rates)

11. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I disagree. It was front page news then and it was all over the tech news today.

Many said it would be a flop and it isn't. E-book success is a likely future avenue for iTMS which seems to now sell everything under the sun.

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I want one of these things. More so because I'm a tech-geek, because I would likely never get my money's worth out of it vs. buying actual books. It only does one thing, but from what I've read and heard from numerous different places, it does it exceptionally well.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wasnt saying it wasnt a good device, but when you talk about "loyalists" then id assume you meant the kindle somehow had something to do with apple, otherwise their stance on apple is irrelevant.

Irrelevent, so technically they were right.

14. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Looks like this made it to the front page and my little ol' thread has been forgotten.

:(

Early adoption strikes again...

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If the Kindle only worked with Macs in its first year, maybe we could compare sales.

But comparing Kindle and first Windows/Mac OS iPod sales wouldn't be fair either, since clearly the iPod had more time to gain followers

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He's probably not the only one.

17. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

:D