Amazon Movies FREE with Prime Membership... but requires Flash Player

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zeos, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

Rats. Amazon Prime now comes with free streaming movies, but they require Adobe Flash Player. Maybe Amazon will come up with an iPad app for streaming their movies?

2. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Considering how many applications Amazon has released for iOS, I wouldn't be surprised if they have something in the pipes. :)

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I took a look, doesn't appear to have better content than Netflix. It is also SD quality for everything.

Not bad if you are already a subscriber of Amazon Prime, but if you already have Netflix it doesn't seem like you are missing much...

4. KevinC867, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

It turns out that many (most?) of the free movies are available in HD if you watch them from a device like a Roku box or certain internet-enabled TVs. I just tried a couple of movies with my Roku box and they looked good in HD.

The TV show selections are pretty thin right now. Mostly from BBC and very little HD available.

5. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

BBC is pretty much all I watch on TV becides FRINGE, BONES and GLEE (via Hulu).

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

Even crappy BBC shows tend to be better than most US shows.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Eh, it's a nice perk, but I've already got Netflix.

8. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Well I don't see people subscribing to Prime just for this thin selection but for those of us who are *already* Prime members it is a nice perk. If their selection someday rivals Netflix there is no question I would cancel my Netflix membership, that is a very big IF.

9. elan123 macrumors 6502

lol.... BBC!

10. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't count on it. Apple's new policies regarding content providers and subscriptions will probably deter companies like Amazon from trying to do something new in this area. Their rejection of the Sony eBook reader suggests that apps like Kindle and NetFlix wouldn't fly under the new policies.