Amazon "NOW" Collecting Sales Tax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IGregory, Sep 12, 2013.

1. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Anyone else notice Amazon is now collecting sales taxes. I placed reside in Fulton County Georgia and placed an order yesterday and for the first time I have to pay sales tax. I'm not arguing against it because I believe the online sellers should collect sales taxes just like the local stores. It evens the playing field. Just an observation that's all.:)

2. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

I've noticed it on some orders with Amazon. Not quire sure why some are charging and others are not.

Let's see this turn into a pro and against internet sales tax thread...

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I just order something with my Prime account and I had no sales tax and I'm in FL.

I bet you ordered something from a reseller and their business is in GA. That is the only time I get charged sales tax is i buy from a reseller on amazon that has their business in my state.

Edit: I meant to quote the OP

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

They've been collecting sales tax in California since the end of last year. Slowly but surely the dominos are falling.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We've been paying tax in NY for 2 or 3 years now. Hasn't altered my buying habits. State and local coffers have been devastated by online buying.

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Amazon has been collecting sales tax from PA since last August if I remember correctly. Though I have noticed that if I buy something from an outside company on Amazon, though the product is shipped and sold through Amazon, I don't have sales tax, not completely sure why that is though.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I definitely order a lot less online now that I have to pay sales tax. The cost savings made up for the inconvenience of waiting. Now I just go pick it up.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The State of Texas started collecting sales tax from Amazon back in April 2013 or so.

9. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I think it has a lot to do with whether or not they have a physical presence in a particular state, such as a warehouse or distribution center. They just built on in South Carolina last year, so now we get charged.

And yet somehow, they were given a tax break to build here.

10. IGregory thread starter macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Georgia new law went into effect September 1, 2013. Article here. I was not aware. Shame on me.

11. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I live in Kentucky and every time I have ordered from Amazon, I have paid sales tax. The reason is that Amazon has a physical location in Kentucky. Federal law requires sales tax collection in states that internet retailers have a physical location, and there may be a new distribution center in Florida, so they have to collect sales tax now.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sure, let's. I'm against all sales taxes.

But yes, states can agree to collect each other's sales taxes by reciprocal agreement.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

Arizona
    California
    Georgia
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    New Jersey
    New York
    North Dakota
    Pennsylvania
    Texas
    Virginia
    Washington

14. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

15. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Not to soon. There is no set date for that. Amazon is building a new warehouse facility here that will be complete by the end of 2016 at which time they would have to start collecting tax.

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

What kind of warehouse takes over three years to build? Or are they not building it yet, but will be building it?

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

From what I remember from the press on this, Amazon had mentioned the possibility of building several new warehouses in the state, so I assume Amazon and the state have entered in a written agreement whereby Amazon receives specific financial incentives (e.g., corporate welfare) in exchange for fulfilling its promise to build the new facilities in the state by a specific date (2016 in this case).

18. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

It also depends on the item. In New Jersey shoes and clothing are non taxable but women's hand bags are. Of course that's a small example but there are many items that are both taxable and non taxable. You should check your states sales tax laws to make sure you're being charged tax on the right items as well as the percentage.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Agree.

I tolerated waiting because I saved tons of money.

Now, I may as well walk to a local vendor.

However my state is not affected.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Even with tax, items are still frequently cheaper on Amazon than in a Brick and mortar store. And they have a better selection.

That said, I have started shopping at Best Buy again. (They'll price match Amazon)