Amazon Prime Scamming...?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gavroche, Oct 4, 2017.

1. gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

So i've noticed that my mother can search for some items, and get search results with various pricing... and i do a search for the same thing, and only see higher prices. She emailed me the link of one such item..... and the link just brought me to the same search results i already saw. And she sent me screen shots of items she can see that i'm not seeing.
    So i'm getting screwed for being a Prime Member, to make up for the "free shipping?"

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

You already pay more if you buy through "prime" vs other vendors. However, you also take a lot more risk and have a more difficult time returning or exhanging items that are not "prime" IMO it's worth the few bucks extra and combined with the fact that I get it in a couple days I'm good with it.

My guess is in your situation that you are both not seeing the list of items in the same order. Click on the vendor on that particular item and you should see it.

Post up a link to it. I can test it both ways.

3. Zenithal macrumors G3

I'd go further by saying don't buy third party, buy from Amazon directly, or at the very least, fulfilled by Amazon. In the latter's case, it's in their warehouse. Jet.com, Amazon's competitor in a way, and also now owned by Walmart can sometimes be cheaper than Amazon. You really gotta research for the best price.

Fun fact: Jet.com was started by the same man who made diapers.com with his biz partner, a child company of Quidsi Inc. that you've most likely heard or read about if you read business or investment news. Amazon went to war with Mac Lore over diapers pricing on diapers.com, in the end, Amazon priced them out and then offered to buy them for just over half a billion. Marc then went off to work for Amazon for just over a couple years before going off to do his own thing. Which became Jet.com, and a site that was inching on Amazon's turf again. Well, instead of Amazon, Walmart paid over $3B in cash and $300M in active stock options. Marc Lore then became CEO of Walmart E-Commerce (their website).

Jet.com is still alive and kicking, but this kind of rivalry is why I love companies pushing the limit and making a place for themselves when the market is already full of similar companies. Offer something good or unique.

And back to my tea.

4. poloponies, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

poloponies Suspended

Search for the same item five times during a single day and the result will rarely be the same twice (okay, maybe a tiny exaggeration). My wife will use my account but just throw things into the basket, expecting me to follow through. She very often selects non-Prime or non-Amazon sellers without noticing and simply going to the "other sellers" option will reveal a better price. So just check the list of other sellers, they make it easy for you by showing tax and shipping costs for each option. (And even Amazon's own prices can change throughout the day).

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

You can’t assume Amazon has the best price. If there are different prices shown if you are a prime member and that is verified, I say that’s not right.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Amazon is constantly adjusting prices based on competitors and other factors. It's not a conspiracy.

7. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Being logged into a prime account will default you to the lowest prime offering.

If you aren't prime you usually see the lowest 3rd party price.

8. gavroche thread starter macrumors 65816

gavroche

One example we found was Mccormick garlic bread sprinkle. The attached image is one item she gets in her search results. This item appears nowhere in my results (its not an ordering issue, i only get 18 search results, and its not one of them. She sees this item for $2.86... i only get one for over $9.00... so its not a minor price difference. And i'll put the link she sent me for that item as well...

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...argid=kwd-367486025983&ref=pd_sl_5or5jk3kfl_b

mccormick sprinkle.jpg

9. pdqgp, Oct 5, 2017

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Looking at that link I get about 12 options to buy it ranging from $2,86 to $18. IMO it looks to be based on the lowest price is an add-on item sold and shipping from Amazon. Perhaps they don't have it in stock at a warehouse local to you thus you won't see it. Again, for me it's an add on item as they won't offer it to me at that price if it's the only Item I have shipped. We have like 3 large Amazon Distribution centers near me, one of which is market pantry too. We also have a pick up location and locker too.

Not a scam just a way of keeping prices low and leveraging their logistics model.

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I believe there is a setting where you can tell it only to show Prime listings. Are you only seeing listings that are Prime?

12. gavroche thread starter macrumors 65816

gavroche

I purchase add on items occasionally, and we also get market pantry here as well. So i really dont understand why that item doesn't show up for me at all. I googled this issue last night and saw a number of articles discussing this issue, and some lawsuits that were filed in regards to it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    Nope. I sometimes click the box to narrow down a search for Prime only, when i need something fast.. but otherwise i get all results.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---

There are things i love about it. But i'll tell you what i hate. I have used Amazon since it first started. I've ordered so many things from them. And back in the day, shipping was always fast, long before they ever had Prime. When they came out with Prime, they obviously are trying to get people to sign up for it. So they purposely delay shipments to non prime customers now... to make the difference seem great. Example: After the first time i had prime for a month (on their free trial)... i went back to not being Prime. All of the sudden... my purchases started taking much longer. I live near Seattle, where they have a large center, and most of my purchases came from nearby. But after that first Prime trial... when i bought something it would quote me like 5-7 days to arrive... and everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) sat in a "awaiting shipment" status for about 3-4 days.... and then shipped... and always from Florida or somewhere on the other side of the country. So it never came quick. They clearly did this make you desire prime more.

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I've got half a dozen stuff awaiting shipment right now. But when they finally ship (5-7 days awaiting shipment), it's at my door within 2 days. I'm guessing they are moving the stuff through their internal logistics network to the distribution center near me. Once the have all the stuff in one location, it's ship via Amazon's delivery (a plain white van in my area).

The stuff that gets shipped from California or New York usually ship within 2 days, but it takes 5-7 days to arrive. It all balances out. I always plan on receiving my stuff 2 weeks after ordering it. I could always pay for faster shipping...nah.:p

Prime is good if you order A LOT of stuff or if you use other Prime services. I don't use video or any of the other Prime services, so there's little point in my subscribing.

14. TheHateMachine, Oct 5, 2017

TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

The cheaper one is an Amazon Fresh listing which is from one of their physical stores I believe. It says "fresh" next to the price.

I don't get those options because there are no Amazon Fresh stores nearby.

I believe this is where the price difference is coming from. Your mother may live within the radius of said store while you do not.

EDIT: I changed my location to LA in Cali and was able to get fresh listings. I found something similar but i couldn't find the Garlic Bread one. Probably due to the store it selected doesn't have that particular flavor.

upload_2017-10-5_13-30-50.png

15. gavroche thread starter macrumors 65816

gavroche

Amazon use to always ship out everything within one day. Always. Its only since they have their prime service that it started taking longer. As you said yourself, sometimes it sits "awaiting shipment" for 5-7 days. Thats absurd. And in my case, even after sitting there like that for so long, it then ships from completely across the country. Why so many days wait, if its still coming from as far away as they could manage? Its not coincidence. They are making normal shipments take longer, so that you will be incentivized to go Prime.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

I've actually noticed a decline in Prime shipping. Meaning - things used to ship same/next day. Now it's more like 70 percent true and 30 percent of the time it's a day or two. And in the past year I've had a few (well more than a few, but not a lot) of packages sent 2 day that don't arrive on time due to logistics issues. I will say customer service is great and the one time it was something urgent, they did manage to get me the package prior to a flight the next morning and also gave me a nice credit to use in the future.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not my experience at all with them this week. I ordered something that was supposed to arrive Saturday. Didn't come until Monday and in the meantime they sent a replacement that I never asked for which arrived Tuesday. So the Tuesday item took one day to arrive, while the original shipment took three days, four if you count Sunday which I'm not. They offered me...wait for it...$5 credit. And now I have to deal with returning the second item I never ordered. :rolleyes:

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Why do you have to return the item you never ordered? I have had Amazon mistakenly send me two items when I ordered one. I've never had to return the second, and even if they asked me to, I would tell them to come and get it themselves as I am under no obligation to move it one inch past my front door.

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

Amazon prices seem high to me. Recently I checked for a two year planner that retails for $6.99. Amazon price was $13.86 plus shipping of about $6. I bought two at local Office Depot discounted to $4.86 each. I ordered three directly from the vendor, $25.83 tax and shipping included. Shipping was flat rate $3.

This is not an isolated incident. It's the most recent.

I'm not a Prime member.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Uh, because I don't need, want, or have the space for the second one? I'm not going out of my way though. Like you said, they will send someone for pickup.

21. Gutwrench, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Amazon scammed their way to my door four times this week...twice today.

I doubt I’d have to, but I’d do it if they wanted it back because mistakes happen and it’s just the way I’m wired. An ATM once disbursed an extra $20. I returned it to the bank. Unless it’s an expensive item Amazon would probably give the option to the customer of returning it or not.

While this example is not the same situation, but in California appropriating lost property to your own use can be a crime of theft. The point is “finders keepers” is not actually a legal theory.

22. poloponies Suspended

They're never going to be lowest in every instance but they tend to be pretty low overall. Are you sure you weren't looking at a non-Amazon seller? Those can get outrageous. My wife usually just clicks on an item without checking if it's Amazon selling or someone else.

23. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Amazon has introduced tiered pricing, if they think you make more money than your mother, then your price will he higher.

Looking for a link, found this out on Twit.tv several months ago, but I'm not sure if it was just a test program, or if they rolled it out nation( world ) wide.

You'd be surprised what they know about you.

24. SusanK, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

SusanK macrumors 68000

I avoid Marketplace sellers and others as a result of disappointing experiences, difficult return policies etc. I'm not a Prime member. Shipping is costly and takes forever. One state away can take 10-12 days when fulfilled by Amazon. My impression is that Amazon delays in an attempt to motivate Prime. Just my .02.

The product was At A Glance planners. I ordered some from At A Glance at $6.99 each. There was a discount for an order over $25. Shipping was fast and inexpensive.

The planners were usually readily available retail sometimes on a closeout $1 shelf at Target etc. Not as of the past few years in this area. $6.99 was the going rate.

My experience with Amazon is that pricing is high. I can usually buy direct from the vendor for considerably less. In a way I do my show rooming at Amazon now. Amazon was my go to for many years.

I have also noticed that Amazon threads reviews for similar products together. That is misleading as features are different on each model. I bought a Canon scanner from Amazon with that issue. The product was not as described and returned. Amazon's returns are painless if Amazon is the seller.

I emailed CS on the threading of reviews from verified purchasers about two years ago. Response was that they are correcting. No difference as of yet.

Amazon stands behind sellers who offer deceptive descriptions of products and make returns too costly to be worthwhile.

I shop at Amazon but buy elsewhere. I'll do Amazon in a pinch but avoid essentially as a matter of principal. I think Bezos is getting too greedy. Others may feel differently.

https://www.amazon.com/GLANCE-Month...10&sr=8-31&keywords=2018-2019+pocket+calendar

https://www.ataglance.com/ataglance/browse/Pocket-Calendars/Format-Monthly/_/N-ozziyiZocgp3dZ1hplde3Zoue51o?
    Nr=AND(product.priceListPair:p2_p1,sku.active:1,product.siteId:ataglance,isDisplayable:1)

https://www.amazon.com/GLANCE-Month...-5&keywords=at+a+glance+2+year+pocket+planner

https://www.ataglance.com/ataglance/search?Ntt=2018-2019+pocket+planner+Blush

25. Zenithal, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

Zenithal macrumors G3

Some of my ordering mistakes were sizes. I almost never check out shipping sizes or item sizes if I know what I'm getting and bought it in person before.

Never an item being smaller than I thought it would be. More like larger or more than I needed of a certain item. I order bundles of tea now and again instead of through a restaurant supply for my employees at work, at both locations.

I forget the exact issue, but I recall it being instead of 150 boxes of tea I got four large boxes in one big box with a mixed collection of 1000 teas in each box. Same price as the previous orders, but it was set up differently. I suppose if it were in boxes too, it'd be more expensive.

Keyword is 'LOST' property. Unordered items are not lost property. Your penal code is about stuff with some form of identification to go along with the item. The California code is along the lines of 'hot' property but not quite there. Semi-hot.

The FTC has long since outlined that a consumer is under no obligation to send back an unordered item or be charged for it. The seller takes the loss and tells the consumer to either keep it or give it away. It's standard procedure.

I've had similar issues with getting stuff MTS has, and Amazon referenced me to that and told me to keep it.

Latest incident was a month or two ago with a few fairly expensive items. Nearest warehouse to us probably the one in the valley. An hour or two drive.

It's a bit strange and usually happens around the holidays when their systems get buggered.