Amazon rejected iPhone 4S trade-in because "Data could not be reset"???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pjstock42, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Pjstock42 macrumors regular

After waiting a week, Amazon lists my trade-in as being denied because "Data could not be reset"....I literally already reset the data before I sent it to them, now I have to wait for them to ship it back then figure out another way to sell it.

This is a complete joke, has anyone else had this happen to them?

2. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

Was it jailbroken?

3. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

its probably best to update the phone to the latest iOS before sending it in. I plan to do the same to mine in the next couple of days

4. kazpod macrumors member

I got the exact same email today.

I contacted amazon support and inquired about what that meant. They said that they could not say what exactly happened because it is done through a merchant they work with.

I traded in 2 iphone 4's, both exact same shape (excellent on their rating scale) and only got one accepted. Doesn't make sense at all.

I sent in both phones master erased. So I dont even get how they can say they could not reset the data, it already was!

5. M33-1 macrumors regular

M33-1

Sell it on Craigslist for $400. I just sold mine. But, I bought an S3 instead of another iphone.

6. Pjstock42 thread starter macrumors regular

Before sending it it, I updated it to iOS6 through iTunes and deleted everything from the phone, it was literally at the welcome screen where you set up the phone before I powered it off for the last time.

I'm incredibly pissed that Amazon takes no accountability in this and blames it on their "3rd party merchant". How do I know what to do so that this doesnt happen again if no one will give me a real reason for rejecting it??

7. kazpod macrumors member

What I am going to do is inspect the phone thoroughly when I get it back. If it isnt in the exact condition as I sent it in, I am going to raise holy hell with Amazon.

Again I sent 2 in, exact same condition, same OS, both master erased....but get 1 denied.... doesn't make any sense at all.

Seems pretty shady to me.

8. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

Should have used ebay instant sale, I had no problems with that

9. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

did you by chance locked in a price that is higher than what they offer now for the trade in? Maybe they are trying to weasel their way out of paying you the high amount.

I'm concern now because my trade in shows $375 for 16GB 4S...now its down to $340...I have till Wednesday of this week to ship it in...

10. Pjstock42 thread starter macrumors regular

That could be it, it was locked at $375 when I sent it in so they probably are trying to screw me over.

As said by another poster in here, if there are ANY marks on the phone after they had their hands on it I'm going to go ****ing nuts.

11. jumpmandds macrumors regular

12. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

Craig's list sold my 4 for 270 with box, cables and everything. Could have gotten more if I pushed but that was fine with me. A 4s will still go for around 400 though. Sell it there or eBay. Forget these trade in programs at best buy or amazon not worth it and they turn around and sell them for twice as much as they have you for it.