Amazon runs new ad supporting LGBT community.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrf097, Feb 21, 2013.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Personally I like they way they do it by just dropping that in at the end. It doesn't stray from the message they try to convey with the Kindle and doesn't shove the whole LGBT thing in your face (because we actually DON'T want people to do that, we just want to be treated exactly the same).

Well done Amazon, well done.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

3. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I usually stay away from this part of the forums.

Is there usually a lot of AntiLGBT?

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I actually rarely see any LGBT related threads/posts, so no, not a lot of Anti-LGBT. I'm surprised there's not more debate on it.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

There used to be a lot more than there are now.

I think we may have run them all away. ;)

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Anti-LGBT arguments always crack me up, though.

7. 2020mike macrumors 6502

8. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

For my fellow ignorant acrophobes, LGBT stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender. I had to google it.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Great for Amazon, but I can't wait for the day when an ad like this wouldn't even be a big deal. The day when we wouldn't even see a need to discuss this ad, and it would be just one of the other umpteen commercials that we fast forward through on the DVR.

10. vega07 macrumors 65816

Well...to get there, you're gonna have to endure many more of these commercials. ;)

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Disappointing. I was hoping to see her with another fine women.

12. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

And men wonder why women don't enjoy being treated as sex objects. Thanks for playing though.

This is a totally adorable commercial. Expedia did an amazing commercial where it follows a father traveling to his daughter's wedding, and he talks about how he's grown to understand his daughter's sexuality more and how he wouldn't miss the wedding for the world. The neat part, they aren't actors in the Expedia one, it's a real father and daughter. I freely admitted, I cried like a baby when I watched it, rewatched it with my dad, and we both cried.

13. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Seeing all this praisals for Amazon..no clue how it works overseas, but they have messed up BIG TIME here in Germany. Poor, poor working conditions, hiring kind of a Nazi-affiliated security firm (H.E.S.S) to put poorly paid employees under the thumb...not sure how it works in other countries though. Thinking of not buying there anymore :eek:

Not sure how to deal with that, since I buy almost everything from the UK though...amazing customer service too. Received boxes almost every single week in my office and got friends by that with the delivery guy too. :(

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I know ...... god forbid I think two women are sexier than two men. :rolleyes:

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It's certainly not the first, and it won't be the last .... but as a community, we are wholly underrepresented on television.

I can't wait until something like this isn't a "story", but why not highlight the companies who care about equality, instead of those who don't (like the Boy Scouts or CFA)?

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Well did amazon did this cos they are pro LGBT or just so that the commercial will be talked about over that rather lame&predictable joke (o.k. I was expecting her to have a wife....) ?

I'd bet my money on the later.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Amazon is historically a gay friendly company. Last year their CEO donated a good amount of money towards legalizing gay marriage in Washington State - I also don't believe this is the first commercial they've had featuring a gay couple.

Sometimes companies do the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing and not just for "publicity".

19. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Amazon is pretty complicated and badly represented in Europe. It's available in a few countries but they or their affiliates won't deliver everything abroad, which I rely on. It was much easier when I was living in the US.

That's a sketch from SNL, hardly a message from a legit company.

20. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

With abroad you mean Switzerland, right? I mostly get movies from the UK shipped to Munich, so without some rare exceptions, they ship everything. Also quite fast. Once I had a (minor) complaint and they responded in no time and with an outstanding service. So I don't know about it being badly represented here. But I guess you have your reasons to say that.

But what 'we' got to know now recently is, that (at least for the German part) the best thing to do would be to boycott it. But this doesn't have to be discussed here, as I believe it's kind of off-topic.

21. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I can forget buying electronics from Germany, and that includes all media. The UK is a bit more lax but most of the things I wanted to purchase from there wouldn't ship outside the UK... It can get frustrating when there's no place around here selling these items and customer service knows less than I do.

22. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Ha! And I want to buy electronics in the Swiss Apple shop. :eek: But I agree, things here could be integrated much better as they actually are. Feels like being in the Middle Ages at times..

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

...and now we know that humor and sarcasm sail right over your head unimpeded.