Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you've purchased an Amazon-branded power bank from Amazon recently, you should be aware of a recall that Amazon issued today due to reports of overheating. Amazon has received 53 reports about defective power banks that have, in a few cases, led to chemical burns and property damage.

Affected AmazonBasics models that are part of the recall are listed here: 16,100 mAh; 10,000 mAh; 5,600 mAh; 2,000 mAh with micro USB cable; 3,000 mAh and 3,000 mAh with USB micro cable. All impacted units are rubberized or metallic power banks with the AmazonBasics logo printed on the front of the unit.

amazonbasicspowerbank-800x610.jpg

These Amazon-branded power banks are affordable options that many Apple customers users may have purchased to charge their iPhones and iPads.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which shared details on the recall, consumers should immediately unplug any recalled power banks and contact Amazon for details on how to return them for a full refund.

Amazon is sending out emails to all customers who might have purchased one of the faulty power banks.

Article Link: Amazon Recalling 260,000 'AmazonBasics' Power Banks Due to Overheating Risk

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
This is one of the reasons why I don't use power banks. I'll just charge my phone once every 2 days instead of carrying around a potential chemical bomb.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How is this Apple related?

Because this type of news should be spread directly to all consumers who purchased this product for safety reasons, being MacRumors is a tech site, there are those who may have purchased this product that could be directly affected without knowing until they read this article. This news Doesn’t have to be related to “Apple”, as it’s related to personal safety.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This is one of the reasons why I don't use power banks. I'll just charge my phone once every 2 days instead of carrying around a potential chemical bomb.

Your phone could blow up too, plenty of cases that happened.

Lithium ion strikes again. This battery chemistry is inherently dangerous.

Any chemistry package that holds a charge is potentially dangerous, one more so as the other though.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Your phone could blow up too, plenty of cases that happened.
It's extremely unlikely with an iPhone. There's way more scrutiny there. Power banks are wild west. Also, they're a lot bigger.
[doublepost=1520977979][/doublepost]
Ah ... I thought Alexa could've warned their customers about this ... guess she's not that smart after all ;)

/cheeky.
Well, she kept laughing randomly. I guess that was foreshadowing.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've had a Kmashi power bank overheat, melt the plastic, and let out some fumes. Haven't had an Anker battery die on me but I know someone who says one did - but I've had a lot of these and they're usually above average.

Never bought AmazonBasics' batteries. Can't find them anymore on Amazon (makes sense I guess).

I've taken apart li-ion batteries before for fun (in controlled experiments with safety gear) - that fruity smell it gives is just strange.

Love having 4-5 Anker external batteries hanging around. With my 21 watt Anker panels - I figure during the Zombie Apocalypse I'd be able to keep my Day One journal going for awhile and take pictures. <cough> :p.

Hopefully they find a way to recycle these :(.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005

You're phone has the same "potential chemical bomb" IN IT ALREADY! Yet you don't think twice about it, do you?

Reactions: kdarling

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
If your phone lasts you 2 days without charging then you barely use it lol
IDK. I'm in contact with all my friends and my 2 jobs. Either way, can't imagine it lasting less than 1 day for anyone. iPhone 8 supposedly lasts through 12 hours of internet usage or 13 of video streaming on LTE.

Reactions: arkitect

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
AmazonBasics Power Bomb

Returning them should be interesting as USPS, UPS, and FedEx aren't looking to ship what could potentially be a fire bomb.
But these carriers WILL transport Li-ion batteries and related items as long as they are marked as such.
You gotta be careful with Amazon basics. Some of it is just rebranded Chinese garbage.
Careful! You're close to legal retribution.
If your phone lasts you 2 days without charging then you barely use it lol
Not exactly true. Some people use their phones as … PHONES … and not all the other things that phones are used to do today.
[doublepost=1521000289][/doublepost]
I've had a Kmashi power bank overheat, melt the plastic, and let out some fumes. Haven't had an Anker battery die on me but I know someone who says one did - but I've had a lot of these and they're usually above average.

Never bought AmazonBasics' batteries. Can't find them anymore on Amazon (makes sense I guess).

I've taken apart li-ion batteries before for fun (in controlled experiments with safety gear) - that fruity smell it gives is just strange.

Love having 4-5 Anker external batteries hanging around. With my 21 watt Anker panels - I figure during the Zombie Apocalypse I'd be able to keep my Day One journal going for awhile and take pictures. <cough> :p.

Hopefully they find a way to recycle these :(.
AmazonBasics batteries ARE available on Amazon in AA and AAA sizes in either alkaline or rechargeable flavors. Do your own searching if you want other sizes.
No AmazonBasics Charger / Power Bank is available now.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Ill need to check mine, got it for free a couple of years ago during a prime promotion.

Edit:

And I cant register through the site because I have an international phone number.

Guess Ill have to contact support.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.