Amazon's stock falls further as Trump again lashes out at company

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 29, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

There would need to be personal trading of the stock at some point, or someone close to that person.

To me it merely seems like more ramblings from an idiot.

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Not enough to stop me from ordering a sonic pest repellent to keep the cats off my lawn this morning.

4. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Trump's hella jealous of Bezos lol. Real billionaire versus repeat BK-er. Who do you want running your business?

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Trump hates the Washington Post. This is him lashing out at the Post/Bezos. Nothing else.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Trump is actually correct here on the tax issue. Amazon does get away with a lot when it comes to state and local taxes being paid.
    If you sell something via commercial means, all appropriate sales taxes should be paid.

I don't get Trumps' comments regarding the USPS. Amazon negotiated a delivery contract with them.
    They got a great deal. The hypocrisy in Trump's criticism of the deal only shows his dislike of Bezos. After all, Isn't that Trump's mantra.... get the best deal you can?

As for Amazon's impact on other retailers... welcome to Capitalism 101 Mr. Trump. You can't have it both ways.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I had thought that since 2017, Amazon was collecting/paying all appropriate state taxes. Am I incorrect?

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

They still have the ability to avoid sales taxes in many states that they don't have a physical presence in.
    Some states have countered that with state laws that require ALL sales to residents of the state must collect sales tax, but some states still don't have this on the books.
    It's irresponsible for a state legislature to not enact appropriate laws to capture sales tax revenue regardless of the retailers location.
    My own state doesn't collect taxes on sales from retailers with no physical presence here. Amazon has a huge distribution hub located here, so they do collect sales tax on sales in AZ.

9. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

In my opinion Trump has no right in trying to manipulate the marketplace.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Then I would say that's not Amazon's "fault" - they are taking advantage of current tax laws. Just like Trump would done. As you pointed out - it seems hypocritical coming from a man who bragged about being "smart" because he didn't pay (a lot) in taxes.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Exactly.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2018 ---
    Politicians and regulators manipulate the marketplace all the time. It's not a matter of a "right", but more a fact of life.
    Negative or positive discussions over potential legislation or regulatory measures impact the market on a daily basis.

Every time ANY President starts talking about regulating <insert object, industry, company, here>, it impacts the marketplace.
    Every time Obama opened his mouth about guns, sales went through the roof.

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I hear ya, bro. I just ordered a capacitor kit (125 piece variety pack) and some ceramic fuses to repair a LCD TV that won't power on (one blown 3.15A fuse and 2 1000uf caps). I was gonna hop over to a Radio Shack, but ordered from Amazon just to spite Trump.:p I only needed 2 capacitors, so I spent more money than I needed. I'll keep the extra to repair future electronics.:cool: I'm willing to spend an extra $10 to stick it to the man.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

What is Amazon's most used shipping service? I rarely get shipping from USPS, even on very small and cheap items that can fit in an envelope. It's mostly UPS and FedEx. Rarely USPS or DHL.

14. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's a regional thing.
    Almost all my small orders are sent to my mailbox.
    They use the relationship UPS has with USPS for "last mile" delivery. (UPS Mail Innovations program)

15. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The results of a president who leads by vengeance, since day one his entire thing is to beat people down and then kick them afterwards.

16. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

“Why is the United States Post Office, which is losing many billions of dollars a year, while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the post office dumber and poorer?” he tweeted. “Should be charging MUCH MORE!”
    ---
    What!!!! Trump talking about economic gap and fairness? What of the trickling down here?

Same guy giving tax breaks to ultra rich... Can we put a picture of Trump in the dictionary with word hypocrisy?

17. 0007776 Suspended

They also avoid paying local city or county taxes. I live in a state with no sales tax, but the city I live in does have a sales tax, I don’t have to pay it on Amazon.

18. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

That is just out of date.

1. Amazon has tax agreements in place with EVERY single state that has a sales tax. This is true even in states that do not have those capture laws you mention.
    2. They have been paying state sales tax tax on EVERY Amazon-sold good since April 2017, where the buyer lives in a location with a state sales tax.
    3. Every state has regulations regarding which purchases require sales tax, based on location of the sale. That's why Amazon had to put agreements in place for every state.

On the other hand:
    4. In most cases, these state agreements don't cover municipal sales taxes, which Amazon does not collect in the vast majority of cases.
    5. Because the agreements are with Amazon, they do not apply to third-party companies using Amazon Marketplace services.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2018 ---
    And, by the way, Amazon has a physical presence in 43 states. It's called "Whole Foods".

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It his obvious, but Amazon doesn't pay sale taxes, WE pay sales taxes. I for one don't like how the Government spends my tax money. The only taxes I don't mind too terribly paying are property taxes ($20K every year), since that money is used locally ie Schools, trash pick up, law enforcement.

20. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Here in Ventura I see lot of FedEx, UPS, USPS, UPS > USPS (especially Sunday delivery), and a lot of OnTrac.
    I would say UPS/UPS>USPS is what I see the most.

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

People try far to hard to come up with justifications for Trump’s completely unsupportable declarations. There’s a very simple explanation: he’s an imbecile.

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this same concept applies to any online retailer. That’s doesn’t seem to me like Amazon’s fault, it seems like the States’ own negligence. I’m sure Amazon skirts taxes through loopholes and such though, just like every other company with substantial revenue.

I remember when Amazon decided to put some sort of warehouse in Connecticut, making “Nutmeggers” succeptable to sales tax when purchasing from Amazon. People were super upset.

Living in Boston, I rarely get packages via USPS from Amazon. The vast majority comes through Amazons our courier.

The only exception to think of where a couple items sent from a 3rd party, and a 100” electric projection screen that somehow USPS temporarily lost despite the package being about 9ft long.

23. JackieInCo Suspended

You're supposed to pay the sales tax when you file your taxes every year but no one does that.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No real denying this.

25. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

It's like something pops in his head and for the next 24 hours it's all he can focus on, then it's gone on to the new thing. It's sad and amazing to watch. The guy is unable to govern.