Ambient Light Sensor (ALS) defective

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neebee, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Neebee macrumors 6502a

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

the iphone 5 is so clever it knows you are just playing with the settings, so it does nothing.

give it a rest man enjoy the phone no point in trying to split hairs.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Guy in video, over dramatic much.

I think you mis-understood Apple's interpretation of the word "Genius", this device just came out 6 days ago, chill, they are not wizards that "Know All" and "See All"

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

definitely.

he sounds as if he just found out an extra hand is growing out of his leg.

"WHY??!!, WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME??!! APPLE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??!!"

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's not a problem. The test doesn't prove it's defective.

My phone does the same thing shown in the video but I know for a fact my ALS works.

Try this. Set your brightness to a level and have auto-brightness on. Keep the settings open and move the phone towards a light source. The brightness level should move.

6. Gnarl macrumors newbie

Same issue here. ALS is unresponsive, it doesn't adjust brightness no matter what I do. I won't return my phone because of it but I wish it worked properly sigh..

7. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

There is no fault!

Read the change log for ios 6. They changed the entire brightness routine, it now changes more gradually so you shouldn't notice the shift. Also, where you used to have it at 50% you would now have it more like 10%. No, it doesn't mean your saving battery, it just means it handles things differently. This happens on all my ios 6 devices which are iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iPad 3.

The video is also deceptive, you think he's changing the brightness of the light in his room but he's just a dumbass who's conducting a brightness experiment with his camera set to full auto so it's adjusting the exposure based on the screen brightness. Ignore the video, it's about as scientific as a turd on a plate.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Exactly. People are creating things to complain about.

9. jredecop macrumors 6502a

This makes it work. I just did the opposite and turned my light off. Other than that my phone works like the one on the video. Like others have said, just different behavior.

10. Gnarl macrumors newbie

Thanks! With what kind of sorcery is this product imbued that it makes us all go nuts? This is a testament to apple, we are all worked up over their flagship product regardless of the issue.

11. DVDxR macrumors regular

So yea, it's not broken. I just tested it with my iPhone 5 and it works totally different with iOS6 AND the iPhone 5 than with previous phones (even with iOS6). I just tried this:

1) Set brightness to 60% (stayed on the screen)
    2) Dim lights in room
    3) Placed a flashlight ON the sensor and turn the flashlight on

The brightness control slider slid up from 50% to 100%.

After turning the flashlight back off, the slider slowly dropped back down to 50%

On my iPhone 4 with iOS6, it works like it used to. The slider didn't move and the changes were much quicker.

12. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, if you say so :cool:
    Like today in the mall after I got out of the underground parking I couldnt see my screen because it was all dark. Even at the Apple store it didnt work. But yeah, it's not a problem.

That works temporarily and then once again becomes unresponsive.

This phenom, defect, or whatever you wanna call it doesn't happen with the iPod Touch, that much is certain. I tried it in store and in home.

13. boshii, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

That doesn't make sense. If it moves, then it's not unresponsive.

14. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

You could be right that I dont understand how it works. All I know is I am quite happy how my 4G iPod Touch works in bright conditions and in darkness. With the iPhone 5 I have to change my settings manually or have my battery drain much faster. I think this is a s/w glitch and I (hope) Apple will come with a fix to improve the responsiveness to a level I have become accustomed to with the Touch.

----------

It does make sense. It worked for a short while and then it stays on high, even in complete darkness or on low if that was my condition previously. I've tested it out this morning alongside my iPod touch and that was the result.

15. DVDxR macrumors regular

He's expecting it to be instantaneous like previous versions were. It's not. It can take a couple of minutes to re-adjust. It also moves in small increments so you don't notice it. From what I can tell, the greater the change in light, the faster it changes. It also seems to ramp up faster than ramping back down. My guess is that they are trying to match the same speeds that the eye adjusts to changes in light. Your vision adjusts faster going from a dark room to a bright one than the other way around.

I don't think it's broken, just different and since Apple didn't really broadcast this change very well some people are thinking it's a bug.

16. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Changing my previous my example of what happened in the mall, the mall could've very well been a park or a trail. If there was an emergency that required me or the device user to call 911, i wouldnt be able to do so because 1. i would not be able to see the screen to enter their pass code 2. i wouldn't be able to see the screen to dial 911. I find it hard to believe this feature of ALS is intentional and I dont think we should try to justify it just because it is an Apple product, especially since no other device on the market functions this way.

17. DVDxR macrumors regular

Holy reductio ad absurdum Batman... If that is the case it sounds like you are setting the brightness WAY too low to begin with. All I can say is that I've tested mine for the past few hours and it appears to work fine, way better than my old iPhone 4 did (it got way too dim in dark rooms). When I go from dark to light, it adjusts in about 30 seconds, and when I go from bright to dark, it start adjusting in about 30 seconds and finishes in about 2 minutes. If I go to an extreme (see steps in my previous post) it adjusts in about 10 seconds then ramps down over about 2 minutes.

18. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, mine doesnt do that, except it did yesterday but not today. I could have a defective ALS but that would suck since my iphone is only 2 days old.

19. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

That's actually a positive. Be happy you found this problem now instead of in November when your return period will be over.

20. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know....I just hate the hassle. Do you think I should get rid of the iPhone then? Some carriers locally are giving people free upgrades to the 32 GB model and some rumours say that prices may drop every now and then within the next few months to under $100 for the 16 GB version.

21. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

You'd better return the iPhone 5 and get a free android since all iPhone 5 will work the same. lol...

22. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, maybe in 3 years. I can live with the ALS thing, it's a PIA but tolerable :p

23. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

The way it now works is you set your preferred brightness for various levels and it learns. So for total darkness I set to zero. In bright light I set to 50%. It will then adjust to your settings.

Try it and watch the slider move by itself. It's very slow but it works. Turning off auto just leaves it at the level you set permanently. The new way makes a lot more sense.

24. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

The ALS is working pretty good now. Sometimes it gets confused when I am driving in daylight and I drive away from the sun (iphone facing the sun) it is too dim but does eventually does catch up.

25. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Sorry...but the ALS sucks right now, whether it be the iPhone 5 hardware or due to the changes in iOS 6.

#1: The screen doesn't dim at night...at least, not quickly enough that my eyes aren't burned out before I have to manually go in and lower the brightness. This happens EVERY night. If it takes 5 minutes to adjust, that's a horrible behavior. I understand not wanting to constantly vary brightness, but anything longer than about a 5 second delay makes it essentially a useless feature. To test, I left my phone on with auto brightness at 50% in a completely dark room for several minutes, and there wasn't any dimming going on at all.

#2: There have been several occasions (including one time when I had autobrightness off), where the screen has gone to 0% backlight in bright daylight. I could barely see the screen and have to manually go into settings and hit the brightness.

You guys may say it's working fine, but it's clearly not. If this is Apple's intended function, it's very poorly implemented. It does work sometimes, but there are big fails like I mention above that happen regularly.

Now, this is a minor complaint, and I love the iPhone 5, but it IS an issue that I hope they remedy in the next iOS update.