Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Fan and sleep still broken in final 10.13.2 release (build 17C88). Hopefully we'll see a difference in the 10.13.3 beta that should be released soon. Interestingly, if the iMac Pro is released this month it should be running 10.13.2 and since the drivers aren't quite perfect yet I think that suggests it will be delayed, unless of course these drivers are optimized for the iMac Pro. I think that would explain the fan running high, but sleep shouldn't be broken.
[doublepost=1512590447][/doublepost]A little speed bump with the latest build. 56 bios. Scored 23024 up from 22804 in last beta.

LuxMark 10.13.2 17C88.jpeg

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
I'm afraid we won't see much improvement in 10.13.3 for Vega cards in the Mac Pro tower. While I notice sleep and fan speed issues in the Mac Pro tower, Radeon Vega cards operate better in eGPU mode. Paired with a nMP for example, wake from sleep is fine and the fan always run but not crazy fast.

Reactions: dabotsonline

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I just updated. Noticed the performance is a little better in NeatBench (a special build the Neat Video folks sent me to test with. With all CPU cores and both GPUs going it's 9.5 frames a second. It was 8 last night.)

I can't find LuxMark anywhere to download...

Wake from sleep seems ok but the fans don't turn down or off.

The fans do modulate and speed up under load, but seem to pretty loud normally. Like an active blower. Not sure what is normal.

RED does not seem accelerated in FCPX, but other plugins and the app itself is. I expect when 10.4 comes out FCPX will pick up a lot of speed as it will run native Metal 2 and these seem to be the first drivers ready for Vega by Apple.

The GPU is still listed as "AMD RX xxx 8 GB" or the Vega10 Prototype depending.

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm afraid we won't see much improvement in 10.13.3 for Vega cards in the Mac Pro tower. While I notice sleep and fan speed issues in the Mac Pro tower, Radeon Vega cards operate better in eGPU mode. Paired with a nMP for example, wake from sleep is fine and the fan always run but not crazy fast.

So fancy people have troubles with the fans of these VEGA.

Haven’t had one single problems with fans or sleep with all the VEGA we installed.

Current biggest problem I had is actually with one of my own Mac Pros, which hangs once in a while when rendering in FCPX. I am so looking forward to try 10.13.2.

Because of these render problems, I finished a project on my rMBP 15” 2017 today (QC 2.8Ghz, 16GB RAM, Radeon 555), and was just AMAZED at how slow that laptop is in comparison to an old 6 Core 3.46Ghz + 1 x VEGA 56.

I really don’t know how people cope with editing on stuff like video editing.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.

Haven’t had one single problems with fans or sleep with all the VEGA we installed.

Current biggest problem I had is actually with one of my own Mac Pros, which hangs once in a while when rendering in FCPX. I am so looking forward to try 10.13.2.

Because of these render problems, I finished a project on my rMBP 15” 2017 today (QC 2.8Ghz, 16GB RAM, Radeon 555), and was just AMAZED at how slow that laptop is in comparison to an old 6 Core 3.46Ghz + 1 x VEGA 56.

Well this raises the question what are you doing differently then those who are having fan issues?

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013

Simple. You run FCPX in better performance mode and use an SSD. Yeah it renders slower (around 3x slower than the same laptop with a Vega 56 eGPU, never mind a CMP with a card in a slot) but it works. 4K compressed footage and all.

Adding the eGPU I found I could edit in Quality (full rez) mode at the same speed as I can with somewhat blurry performance mode. That's the big win. That and of course the render out time. Currently it all slightly exceeds my old 2013 8 core trashcan D700 Mac Pro. Not bad for a laptop with a box.

(Incidentally, it seems FCPX is the only thing that actually can use the eGPU effectively. RED's redcine sees the card but doesn't use it. DaVinci Resolve - same thing... unless oddly I select the internal Radeon 460... in Metal - then it uses the Vega eGPU. So weird).

I use mostly FCPX anyway so it's not a big deal. And I expect FCPX 10.4 which should come out soon will enhance things all the more.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Has anyone with RX Vega fan speed issues tried doing a 100% virgin re-install of Hi Sierra 10.13.0 to a HSF+ formatted drive with NO 3rd. party software installs and THEN a 10.13.2 COMBO update followed by a PRAM reset?

That might help to isolate the problem or definitely confirm that the hi-speed fans are indeed an Apple driver or Vega brand issue that could be bug-reported ?

Personally, I partitioned a spare 1 TB spinner to 8 partitions, each named consectutively from 10.13.0 up to 10.13.8 assuming it goes that high but did not include 10.13.1

This at least gives me a good clean test bed and a good idea of how the OS is performing on it's own merits with installed hardware.

The fast fans could well be related to 3rd. party soft incompatibility.

( NOTE 1 : Disk Utility in Mavericks 10.9.5 made a 10.13.0 DMG which I successfully restored to the 1st. HS 10.3.0 partition. )

( Note 2. ) My first ever install of HS 10.13.0 was done to a 100% virgin install of Mavericks 10.9.5 ).

I'm going to update from a clean 10.13.0 to 10.13.2 today and will report my findings - I don't have a Veganow but perhaps will when Vega problems have been sorted out. my HIS 7950 is very nice with HS 10.3.0.

Additionally I feel that APFS may need further developement inhouse at Apple before I can 100% trust it as much as I do HSF+.

Last edited:

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
I tried updating a couple of time but it's like the update does not succeed?
I am running 10.13.1 on a 960 EVO with boot redirecting from a SSD

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
Hmmm... gfx options winter 2017 for the cMP really seems to be in a sorry state of affairs.

For all the goodness of being able to basically pop in any PC card into our computers, it's the last little bit that is missing.

Nvidia cards have drivers now, but key apps like FCPX and Motion don't seem to work quite right and same goes for some games.

AMD cards are supposed to be cheap but are pricier due to mining, and even those seem to be plagued by issues that I'm not used to from my 280X or RX480 days...

I think I'd really like to see the iMac Pro release now, to evaluate that, and see if any last second changes happens on the Vega 64 front in terms of MacOS driver support for the cMP.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
One reason I'm stepping back from Vega 56 and waiting for the dust to settle is it looks like Apple's making pretty large changes to their graphics stack.

Will probably be good for everyone until it's done, but until then it's going to be a mess. By the end we might end up with something more modern. Maybe.

Might as well just wait until Vega Nano. For the work I do, the Mac Pro 2010 can't take advantage of a 56 (see Barefeats), and a Nano, even if slower, might be more appropriate.

I think if you're doing compute and are not as CPU constrained as someone doing Metal or OpenGL, the Vega 56 is an awesome choice still.

(From what I'm seeing, it looks possible that Apple is also putting a lot of work into third party GPU compatibility, which again is going to be messy before it's done. Probably related to eGPU, possibly/hopefully to the Mac Pro too.)

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
One reason I'm stepping back from Vega 56 and waiting for the dust to settle is it looks like Apple's making pretty large changes to their graphics stack.....

(From what I'm seeing, it looks possible that Apple is also putting a lot of work into third party GPU compatibility, which again is going to be messy before it's done. Probably related to eGPU, possibly/hopefully to the Mac Pro too.)
What are you seeing?

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Too many bugs where there shouldn't be bugs right now. Someone is touching a lot of levels of the system. There are reports here but some of the stuff I'm working on it broken in interesting ways.

None of that is specific. :) Do you have any concrete examples?

For what I've tested (and it's been pretty extensive), I have seen no issues except for those fans blowing and some oddness in what apps see is available vs what they use, GPU wise

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Whatever Apple is up to, it'd be nice if it didn't break things or killed performance. I've measured a sever performance drop after the 10.3.2 update in DiRT rally if MSSA is enabled.

Last edited:

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am on an NVME boot drive, so it took a while to update to 10.13.2
Now I am in 10.13.2 and guess what... I got the fan-bug on my VEGA 56! This is hilarious.
I didn't have it before. Now the fans spin relatively much, no matter which BIOS I select on the card

Performance has gone up though, so I am pretty happy.

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
I am on an NVME boot drive, so it took a while to update to 10.13.2
Now I am in 10.13.2 and guess what... I got the fan-bug on my VEGA 56! This is hilarious.
I didn't have it before. Now the fans spin relatively much, no matter which BIOS I select on the card

Performance has gone up though, so I am pretty happy.
If you don't mind sharing, how did you get the NMVe drive to used as boot on cMP5,1?

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I just updated. Noticed the performance is a little better in NeatBench (a special build the Neat Video folks sent me to test with. With all CPU cores and both GPUs going it's 9.5 frames a second. It was 8 last night.)

I can't find LuxMark anywhere to download...

Wake from sleep seems ok but the fans don't turn down or off.

The fans do modulate and speed up under load, but seem to pretty loud normally. Like an active blower. Not sure what is normal.

RED does not seem accelerated in FCPX, but other plugins and the app itself is. I expect when 10.4 comes out FCPX will pick up a lot of speed as it will run native Metal 2 and these seem to be the first drivers ready for Vega by Apple.

The GPU is still listed as "AMD RX xxx 8 GB" or the Vega10 Prototype depending.

On my MacPro 6 core 3,33 Ghz with a Geforce 980 I get 11.8 frames/sec in NeatBench. Is this Vega really that slow?
You can download Luxmark here: http://www.luxmark.info/
I get 12910 with my Geforce 980, so in this case the Vega is significantly faster.

Last edited:

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
On my MacPro 6 core 3,33 Ghz with a Geforce 980 I get 11.8 frames/sec in NeatBench. Is this Vega really that slow?
You can download Luxmark here: http://www.luxmark.info/
I get 12910 with my Geforce 980, so in this case the Vega is significantly faster.

Really depends which config he was testing with and what config you were testing in Neatbench.

Also, Luxmark has not been available for some time now from their website, at least here in Europe. Wonder what’s up
[doublepost=1512945408][/doublepost]

Haha joke’s on me. Point taken. ;)

Didn’t actually know Apple released combo updates in their support website

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.