America can't afford to spend $23/pp in a year? 17 agencies to close?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chagla, Jan 25, 2017.

1. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

This is astonishing. How does this improve quality of life for Americans? I just fail to understand. It seems like anything that helps minorities, poor, women and disenfranchised groups are on the hate list. Or having a sick, poor, uneducated population is in the best interest of a certain political party? seems that way.

Full article from Time : http://time.com/money/4639544/trump-nea-sesame-street-budget-cut/

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Not one of those agencies is even remotely worth the taxpayer's dime. The "Office of Fossil Energy?" Really? When we already have a multi-billion dollar Department of Energy?

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This issue is how many of these offices are redundant? Why can't the Dept of Energy swallow the Office of Fossil Energy?

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You have to see how efficient they are, not just what they cost. You also have to see if the main duties can be transferred/combined with another agency that could make it more efficient. It's government.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can you tell us what areas each office responsible for?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The poor and disenfranchised are the easiest cuts for Republicans to make. If you put them in power, those are the people who will suffer the most. This should not come as a shock to anybody.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

By the sound of this we spend $2.9 billion to help BMW use cow farts to run some of their fork lifts.

"In one recent demonstration project, the EERE helped a South Carolina-based BMW plant use bio-methane gas from a nearby landfill to power some forklifts."
    --- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2017 ---
    Hate to tell you but the poor and disenfranchised are just as poor and disenfranchised when a Democrat is in the WH.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Humanity isn't efficient. So if efficiency is your guiding principle, humanity will suffer.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

And from saved Christians no less.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

These days they're far more Old Testament than New.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Not as a counter to your statement, but I'll say that humans are capable of some level of efficiency that is reasonable. Whether this is a case of removing bloat vs vital services, I'd have to know more.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Sure it is. Early man discovered is was more efficient to hunt a wooly mammoths as a group than it was to wrestle with one all by your lonesome.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Absolutely false and misleading. 100% misleading as a matter of fact. There are thousands of metrics that we use every day to measure if the program/department is efficient and none of them has the "ROI" as a private company would intend it.
    A "Literacy Program" that costs $1,000,000/yr is totally useless if it's used only by 10 people. Shut the program down and move the $1M to, I don't know, "School supplies for low-income families" easing the burden of schools supplies and making schooling easier to them. Even that new program has to be measured. How many families use the new program? Are grades getting better? Are drop outs diminished? You are still helping Literacy by providing more school supplies instead of forcing yourself in an asinine program that nobody uses just because it has the typical governmental "high respect" name. (Same goes for many other programs).

14. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Because sometimes having more smaller specialized groups are better than one giant conglomerate where things fall through the cracks or get locked up in bureaucracy.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

In other words, "I don't know what these departments do but I assure you that one should be closed to be merged with the other, they both have something to do with energy".

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

And when you're $20 trillion in the hole sometimes you need to consolidate.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

While handing out billions in tax cuts to the wealthy and hundreds of billions in subsidies to corporations. Need a service from the government? Are you a human being and not a corporation or uber-wealthy? Too bad.

18. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m too lazy to read right now. Are any of those closures going to hinder my ability to get an abortion in a unisex restroom at a gay owned pot brownie bakery? If not, then I’m probably fine with the closures.

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's time to cut back reliance on the government. Get used to it. It's called personal responsibility.

Oh and the corporate welfare BS doesn't fly - that has always been a liberal lie.

You guys need to understand why you lost. The inability to say no to government spending is a huge part of it.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No it won't, not even on Christmas Eve.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My group lost because both parties in the USA are wholly owned and operated by corporate money.

Yea, New York state (and many others) never offered things like 10 year tax free incorporation. That was just a big spooky lie. :rolleyes:

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Your answer is incomprehensible and overly hypothetical.

Just cut to the chase ... are you claiming Republicans are increasing humanitarianism in the U.S. by cutting these programs?

23. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yea you need a business that employs 50 and more employees and jumps through some big bureaucratic hurdles!

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And invariably the poor and disenfranchised are the ones who suffer first, and the most.

25. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Aren't they voting to make that $30 trillion in the hole?