America doesn't have a Muslim ban but Europe wishes it could

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by unlinked, Feb 7, 2017.

1. unlinked macrumors 6502a

2. Zenithal macrumors 68040

What's the total voting population of those 10 countries?

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

In the most recent Gallup poll, 52% disapproved of trump's performance.

If you think public opinion should drive political decisions, then do you likewise want trump to resign?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

From the article

Retired, older aged cohorts, the most likely group to be willing to stop and take a survey and moan about stuff too.

5. unlinked thread starter macrumors 6502a

I imagine they balance for age groups like most polls do.
    It does go as low as 44:27 in favour of ending immigration from majority Muslim countries for the youngest adults.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's not a huge issue. 10k people is actually a pretty decent sample size if the sample is performed with an adequate level of randomization. Sometimes surveys are over-engineered, the analysis of the questions is suspect, sampling is bad, or they do not obtain sufficiently candid answers. Don't focus on the size of it. 10k people is quite a lot if the likelihood of containing any particular citizen is well distributed.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This poll, and other recent events, simply proves the need for 'eternal vigilance'... but not against Muslims.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It depends where you live. California is outrageous. In my current area, you could find something in that price range. In my previous overpriced yuppified neighborhood that I'm glad to be out of, you couldn't buy a one bedroom conversion for that amount.

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Isn't it more interesting to discuss the results of the poll and the reasons behind them? If other polls are similar it's a very important step change in attitudes to Islam in Europe and it would be unwise to ignore it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2017 ---
    Even completely disregarding all other age groups, only 27% of 18-29 year olds disagree that migration should be stopped. That's a surprisingly small number.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah, so that sounds cheaper :). Obviously some areas are a lot more expensive than that, this is the average first house over the country.

I think a better way of looking at it is that the median income for a first time buyer is around the 12th percentile. So maybe 1/4 of the population will be able to buy a house now. Under Thatcher it was 3/4.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Probably upset with the large increase in rape and other molestation of women. The financial drain on the welfare system is becoming unaffordable.

13. kobalap macrumors 6502

14. unlinked thread starter macrumors 6502a

When one of the worlds most influential think tanks starts making fake news you gotta worry.

15. kobalap macrumors 6502

If mainstream media can put out fake news and NOAA and NASA can put out fake data, why not some "think tank" that almost no one has ever heard of?

16. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Actually that's probably more an indication of your ignorance in such matters. Chatham House is a long established, well regarded and well known body. Somebody that posts in PRSI should have heard of them before now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatham_House

17. kobalap macrumors 6502

Being long established and well regarded does not disqualify it from being something almost no one has heard of. Well known is relative. And well known to whom?

And besides, no matter how well regarded and well known they are in your circles, it doesn't stop them from coming up with fake/biased information. NOAA and NASA are well know and well regarded. Yet we dismiss their data at our convenience.

18. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

It's not fake information, it's a poll. If you wish you can be one of those in the survey that 'disagrees'. There is nothing wrong with that.

To stick your head in the sand because you think it's biased and ignore the fact a large proportion of the population feels that immigration should be stopped is storing up trouble for later. If these opinions are not addressed then cohesion between the Muslim community and others will undoubtedly break down, possibly resulting in very dangerous flashpoints.

19. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Central Europe, right now I would say the percentage is around 70% agree.
    Source: I live here.

20. kobalap macrumors 6502

I see. Some polls are to be believed and others are not. Some news is to be believed and some not.

Could you help a guy out and let me know which polls/news are good and which polls/news are fake?

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

22. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Check out prices in Hong Kong,Singapore or Taipei to see what 50sq. Meters would cost you

23. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Have you mistaken me for somebody else? I have no idea what you're on about. The comments you're making have no relevance to anything I have said. I haven't made any reference to fake news or polls but it appears to be something you have got yourself worked up over without any prompting.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm aware of that. I don't understand Singapore. Salaries aren't that high, yet housing is quite costly.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't always agree with Steve. But I see no evidence he has a selective view of the truth.