America First - But at What Cost?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 19, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Tampa Bay Times to lay off dozens of staff in response to Trump tariffs

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/3...-dozens-of-staff-in-response-to-trump-tariffs

Are there alternatives. Perhaps. Can the alternatives be competitive and/or handle the influx of demand?

A "bonus" for Trump is that he might kill off the press ;) Hyperbole - obviously.

The brief article ends:
    American newspaper publishers and owners warned at the time that the tariffs would hurt U.S. newspapers and lead to job cuts.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I’m sure trump is thrilled that another “fake news” company is “failing”.

3. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Damn they use a lot of paper. This is obviously not good for the people losing their jobs, but isn't this a trend in the printed news industry?

4. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I mean, yes, but typically not related to the costs of physical materials.

5. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

That part certainly sucks. Sounds like this paper has been struggling for a few years now so this probably hit them particularly hard.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

They have been in a downward death print spiral for over a decade. This is a result of projected costs, not actual costs.
    I would have thought they would be in a sustainable model by now be that digital only or a combo.
    Another inflammatory headline.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I’m no fan of these tarrifs, but this:

Leads me to believe that these layoffs aren’t just about the increased cost of newsprint.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Inflammatory President ;)

9. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Overall trends in the newspaper business have certainly damaged their long-term financial stability and profitability, which is precisely why a 25 to 30 percent price increase in their biggest supply cost is financially devastating.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Agreed, it’s just that the thread didn’t seem to be framed in that particular way to me.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If you do the math the difference between new and old prices it's about 52 people with a total compensation package of 60K so the 50 people makes sense.

12. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Coal was in a death spiral but Trump saved them. Okay so nothing actually changed even after all his promises.

Maybe trump can go after online media for ruining the print industry like he did with Amazon

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

True, but typically, a business can pass on at least part of an increase in costs to the consumer without putting it all on headcount reduction. The fact that they couldn’t indicates to me that they were going to get crushed by something eventually.

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Trump is an absolute moron with his knowledge (or lack thereof) of the USPS. Amazon pays what they owe... its that simple. Whether its UPS, FedEx, USPS or some other service.

-Congress borrowing money from the USPS and not paying it back is what has caused the failure in the USPS, not the decline in mail.
    -USPS, FedEx and UPS actually use each other for package delivery. Just because a FedEx worker picks up a package and delivers it, it very well could have traveled through the USPS or UPS at some point.

Also really dumb to brag about how GREAT he's been doing at EVERYTHING, then pull stunts like this.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

With respect to trade wars, you just never know where they're going to go in an era of global trade.

So now we have Rwanda hiking the tariff on import of secondhand clothing from the USA, telling Trump that that stuff suppresses sale of clothing made in Rwanda.

The US promptly retaliated by saying it would suspend duty-free status of clothing imported from Rwanda under the African Growth and Opportunity Act.

Incensed at that, Uganda and Tanzania have indicated they will hike tariffs on import of US old clothes also and will further move to ban such imports by 2019.

Some Ugandan textile dealers suggested their country does not yet have the capacity to provide all the clothing needed, and that the result of hiking tariffs on secondhand US clothing will be that more clothes from China and the UAE will be imported instead...

Meanwhile where are Americans gonna dump the clothing now bought in Walmart and made in China, Cambodia, Peru, etc. etc., that we were dumping in African countries when we got tired of it and cleaned out our closets so we could buy more of it at rock bottom prices because it's made elsewhere?

I am not "entirely" sure :rolleyes: that all this is what Trump may have had in mind with his ideas to start trade wars in order to put America first again.

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Afr...-against-cheap-secondhand-clothes-from-the-US

16. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

Great Britain..... or is it England? I don’t know what the boundaries are all about really.... well them too are going through a similar thing with Brexit. People were tricked into believing we had no control over laws or immigration so voted to leave the EU bloc.... there’s a rise in nationalism and pride. Or there was as it’s more or less all come tumbling down now. It turns out 51% of the population were so blinded by idiots with megaphones and other mad cap far right clowns that they didn’t think about the REAL issues in leaving the EU bloc like having to set up and maintain a gigantic import and export system.... deal with borders in Ireland et al. And now the reality has set in. They’re not leaving the EU as they wanted it and in fact the country is going to be worse off as the previous Prime Minister negotiated a very favorable deal with the EU. NOW it’s looking like they’ll have to obey EU laws without having any contributing power to them!! And give more power to a government that ****s things up so royally that actual U.K. citizens are being deported back to Jamaica right now.

I wish wish wish people weren’t so shortsighted and thick. All in the shallow pathetic fantasy that isolation makes countries great again. Sad!

17. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

100% agree.

I really think the trouble with Trump's approach is that he tries to lead the country using the same business model he used for his properties. He's proven himself willing to take risks, damage relationships, call names, make threats and intimidate and bully to get what he wants.

That kind of "I win, you lose" style is effective in corporate America because there are millions of companies out there. If Trump burned one bridge, he could easily enough find another s/u/c/k/e/r company to replace that damaged relationship.

Not so with International Trade. There are less than 200 countries in the world. How many relationships can he damage before there is nobody left who trusts America?

It needs to be all about "I win, you win" when it comes to working with other countries...

18. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

His only “cost concern” is how much he can rip his base off. Those dumbass oversized generic plastic hats made in China mere him more money than most of us will see in a lifetime.

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It might have been the last nail in their budget. I agree that all news publishers are seaking new business models for the digital age.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When you are going down hard and you need something to get you in the headlines... Trump.

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

That's a little too cynical of a deflection for a discussion of tariff hikes that are strongly opposed by a lot of the people who voted for Donald Trump.

People in the heartland who raise wheat and soybeans... are pissed off. So are artisan bakers who import specialty grains from nearby Quebec in the Northeast now, worried about NAFTA renegotiation issues or else having to pay for domestic grains shipped from farther away.

And, people who are in the checkout line buying foreign-made cheap clothing this afternoon. They don't know yet they don't like the America First implementation, but when the price of those cheap Cambodian shirts goes up, Walmart will tell them Donald Trump made them do it.

Trump is having to provide waivers and promise discounts and dodge full out trade war (the battles are already happening) while trying to keep his "America First" theme going.

If he really wanted to put America First on a foundation of industries we long since decided to offshore, like a lot of inexpensive garment making, he needs to put some serious government money behind the restoration of domestic production capacity first, not start by hitting on Walmart consumers who don't have jobs good enough to buy clothing anywhere else. I don't see that serious government money for garment-making here coming any time soon, do you? Of course you don't, living across the lake as you do... but that's another issue.

Trump has adopted some moronic ideas and I dunno where his trade thing comes from. Nowhere practical, that's for sure. He should have asked his VP. Pence is a free trader with a few sensible "but..." stuck along the way on some issue. But CATO makes him 61% a free trader. Trump's trying to pull up the drawbridges.

I'm waiting for some of my truck drivin' friends to set Trump straight at the polls. They done got hornswoggled by this guy and they would still never have voted differently but they don't like his five-Pinocchio approach to telling them how great he's doing by them.

They know tariff hikes come with backlash at the checkout counter, which means backlash at warehouses and truck dispatch offices. So less money in their paychecks but their family paying for pricier foreign-made **** at Walmart, how great is that gonna be is what they're wondering. No one offered their daughters a job sewing clothes here yet. Just as well since they're trying to focus on getting good enough grades in high school to go to college and get tech or teaching jobs like their moms and dads intended.

Meanwhile Trump dodges, weaves and says he'll negotiate good deals. He's lying. He's doing it wrong. He's got the fixes upside down. He doesn't know how to stop trade wars he's launched. He's gonna give away what he thought he was making, plus we pick up unexpected expenses down the road. This is how he ran his other businesses into the ground, why would we expect different from him in the Oval Office.

So these truckers they're gonna take it out on the poor sod running as incumbent on the GOP line for Congress in 2018 and hold their fire on the top slot until the time comes. There's some union guy running in the Dem primaries, they're a little bit interested in him. As for 2020 outlook, one of those truckers doesn't even think Trump will really run for re-election. "He's a golfer now mostly, looks like."

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

...but, but trade wars are easy to win! I’m confident Trump will screw come through for his base of suckers. Not to imply his entire base are suckers, but I stop my clarification there.

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I'd imagine when a company is doing their projections & trying to account for future possibilities, trade war hasn't been a recent consideration. The business may have factored other ways to minimize hits, but this may have been completely unexpected & compounded any problems.

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You don’t have to be able to predict the future to insure that you can absorb shocks, particularly if you’re one of the largest newspapers in the country. How tight are their margins to where they would have to absorb that $3MM cost increase 100% through headcount reduction and not by reducing other operating costs? Or raising revenue? And why aren’t any other newspapers blaming layoffs on the rising cost of Canadian newsprint?

The fact is that they’ve been laying people off since 2016, long before tarrifs and Trump. Those 50 people were likely getting laid off eventually because the Tampa Bay Times has been struggling financially for years.

This isn’t a defense of the tarrifs by the way. The tarrifs are a dumb idea and bad for Americans (IMO). But I think it’s important to correctly identify why they are bad and not turn them into some easily discredited bogey man by making them the cause of all bad things in the economy.

25. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

As I mentioned, that maybe 3 Million in addition to any other shocks. Some companies run a very tight margin to stay afloat, which can become the norm in their ailing industries. As far as other papers, that maybe coming...

https://www.poynter.org/news/tampa-bay-times-ceo-says-dozens-layoffs-directly-related-tariffs

The point remains that while any business maybe struggling, when they do their factoring & projections in the near future, trade wars wouldn't usually be a consideration. When 45 first started floating the idea of starting a trade war that he imagines is easily winnable, many on both sides tried to talk him off that ledge. In any other administration, the idea of starting a trade war, just wasn't considered a strong possibility. Other possibly less effective strategies were the first choice, for fear of disruptions to the U.S. itself. With this administration where ego & pandering play a large part in the decision making, any actions can surprise those who forecast for the future. 45 & his supporters even pride themselves on such instability. Unless of course you're telling someone you're going to bomb then, when earlier you criticized a predecessor for doing such a thing.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/04/politics/trump-trade-war-contradiction/index.html

That's a rough backdrop to try and make future plans, and imagine you can account for so many scenarios & not miss one inflicted on you by your own president. Will some use the trade war as a justification for any cuts they've wanted to do? Of course, business loves a scapegoat. Problem, why is this president handing out such an easy one?