America First!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CmdrLaForge, Feb 7, 2017.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

IMG_0449.JPG Just found this article from the German website "Der Spiegel"

Thoughts?

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

"Donald Trump did not decapitate a person on the cover of DER SPIEGEL, he decapitated a symbol. The Statue of Liberty has served as America's symbol of freedom and democracy since 1886 -- one that welcomes refugees, migrants, "the homeless, tempest-tossed," according to the inscription that it bears. Donald Trump despises and threatens liberal democracy, he despises and threatens the world order and he is the most powerful man on the planet. The emergency is already upon us."

A German magazine self-promotes itself as the judge of what is American freedom, and what are its symbols, and when they die...After a democratic election, in which the candidate was elected because he promised what he's actually doing.
    One day the media will learn the lesson.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That right there is what they are afraid of. I quit reading when they said he is a racist.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Ironic the headline under is "Is it fair in Germany".

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And that lesson is ...?

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Because all people living in the country must surely still be nazis.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

He promised to drain the swamp of cronyism and kowtowing to lobbyists. How is he "actually doing" that?

There hasn't been a day in his presidency that he hasn't outright lied to the American people (and countless days in the campaign where he lied). This is not a person anyone can trust to do do anything he "promised."

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I guess he is turning out to be a good politician.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

There's never been any question about that. It's just that the people who voted for him actually bought the bull he was spewing on the election circuit.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

He always said that he was going to bring in successful people, and not the usual crowd.
    So far he brought in people of the caliber of Mattis, Flynn, Tillerson (at minimum). We can discuss about others such as Sessions or Rebius. DeVos is the only really unqualified for her job. With the exception of Session and Rebius there is not a single insider around him, and Bannon... well he has nothing to do with pre-Trump D.C.
    (the fact that we like or not who got selected for a post is irrelevant to the conversation).
    So yeah, he's draining the swamp as promised.

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

An election where 2 of the most despicable people to ever live were the only 2 options in a corrupt system that insures there will only be 2 options. You’re giving Trump and America’s false democracy way too much credit.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Maybe. They went through two primaries (D was not that hard, R had 17 candidates), and we also had Independent party candidates. I give the sense that there was a process, it was accepted, it was respected, and we have legit results.
    They were not the only 2 options, they were 2 out of 21 at bare minimum.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I don't know, did you watch the CNN debate last night between Cruz and Sanders? Sanders didn't look or sound like someone who was going to get much done either.

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

On the D side we got the candidate big business deemed would do their bidding. That is crystal clear. Independent parties? A distraction big business only allows to go so far. US democracy is a complete sham. Wake up.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You know where the sham is?
    Most people don't even know their senators, or their Rep., or their state reps/senators. At times I find people that don't even know who their mayor is, let alone councilmen, or worse the city manager.
    If people were more active in these "minor" races (which are NOT), we would have a much better government. Instead while everyone is looking at Trump, no one knows what is going on in the state legislatures that influence our daily lives even more than a president.
    Until I see this trend changed, I won't blame the Presidential selection process which is just a drop in the bucket.

16. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Agreed. Another problem is in CA (where I live, hi) everywhere is blue for the most part. I’m just wondering if CA is going to politically (not just individual ideology) move to progressive blue or stay status quo corporatist blue. I think democrats are just waking up to the difference but I have no faith they will put as much energy and outrage into things like income inequality as they put into gender identity acceptance. At this point the only thing liberals can successfully pull off is EDM festivals.

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I saw it several days ago. I have no thought. It's speech.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Some of you may have seen this similar cover from The New Yorker:

[​IMG]

I personally do not have a problem with Der Spiegel's cover, nor do I think a German publication has no right to criticize us. They are uniquely suited to see the kinds of mistakes we are making.

And what do we do about that?

Seriously, what in the world are we supposed to do with a purblind electorate that chooses to get its "news" from Facebook, Breitbart and the like?

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

The New Yorker cover is very classy. Although I do not agree with its meaning, I certainly appreciate the artistic way they used to carry the message. There is no polemic, no shocking image. Just a pure, deep image. This is how you do it.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Patriotism makes the German people uneasy. I don't think Trump has plans to set up gas chambers and "work camps", hence I'm not quite sure what mistakes we are making that they are so uniquely suited to see.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There are at least three that are pretty obvious. Most of us here could probably name them right off. Think about it.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think its far more likely the US voters will learn a lesson. :(

23. pdqgp, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

he's doing exactly what he promised going right down the list even.

Too bad for America that Obama lied about the ACA and the plans, their doctors, etc.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am open to the possibility. We will see in a few months/years when the craziness (both on the L and R) is gone/diminished.