America for Sale: Is Goldman Sachs Buying Your City?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 15, 2011.

1. rdowns, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sure, let's let the guys who brought us Financial Collapse 2.0 sell off our cities.

Link

2. 184550 Guest

This is nothing new. Remember all the hub bub when it was revealed who had bought contracts to manage certain American ports a couple years ago?

Also, you appear to be missing the source/ link.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

America has spoken, we don't want government or taxes, we want for-profit corporate control of public resources. A toll road at the end of my driveway, an annual fee at the local park, book rental from the library...anything to ensure the share price goes up and the CEO can afford a new jet next week.

4. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

And you wonder why a LOT of people don't like Goldman Sachs.

Read up on their history--it was that company's involvement in margin stock trading that contributed to the 1929 stock market crash and they were heavily involved in questionable investments that caused the housing bubble and the Greek financial crisis of the last decade. I'm actually surprised the European Commission has not gone after Goldman Sachs for securities fraud and sue the company out of existance.

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You think the only politicians they own live in the US?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

To all of you across the country, do what you can to stop this. It's a nightmare. Since our parking meters got privatized, rates tripled and the meters don't work half the time. It is defintiely NOT the way to go.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Goldman owns our govt both democrat and republican and the fed is ran by them it appears. America is for sale and the prostitutes we call politicians have about sold it all. Oh we still have our vote but thats about it.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I suggest everyone read a copy of The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism.

This has been the norm for quite some time. Disaster strikes and companies come in and low ball property owners to take the land. The new twist is that now the disasters (and wars) are planned. Does anyone here really wonder why there hasn't been investment in the country, rebuilding it? Why are we pushing for austerity policies which will only end in a double dip?

Because there is money to be made and resources to be grabbed for a select few. Welcome to America 2.0, privatize everything.

9. samiwas macrumors 68000

The same kind of thing happened in Atlanta. They privatized parking enforcement, and since then every single street space that used to just be a "2-hour parking" type spot is a pay spot. There is hardly any free parking any more. And it's enforced heavily. And (I need to read up more on it), I think the city doesn't see any of the extra, as they paid a straight sum to the company. I am probably wrong on that.

10. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

The government denies it, but the truth is that eventually we will be a megacorp society. And one day corporations will have their own military and power such that the "government" will be just like the UK's royalty.

11. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

And when we privatize the police and military, oh boy are we in for one hell of a ride.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The ant farm is one stop closer.

13. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Heck, maybe it would be even better. Currently, we basically get much of those workers from people who want a "free job" or have "few other options". If employment is via market rates, maybe the "best" security personell shall be hired.

Besides, in the far future our values and life perceptions will be totally different. I mean, if you think about it, we are already moving toward megacorp ideals. Your "worth" is based on how productive you are and how much money you have/make. It's about profit profit and profit, and consumption with those profits. One day, this will be a determining factor on weather you get thrown in jail just because you're a "disruption to productivity". And heck, maybe it will only be illegal to kill "employable" ppl...in United Microsoft! :p

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

We're already more than half way there (sheer number of contractors used).

Not to mention that war is on behalf of financial/corporate entities anyway....

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

None of these items would be for sale except that the sellers are in deep doo-doo from decades of fiscal mismanagement. The accumulation of debt has necessitated desperate measures--and from desperation comes bad judgement.

"Blood in the water" and the GoldmanSucks crowd is a bunch of sharks looking for an easy meal. Getting it, too.