America has underestimated the the threat of White Supremacist and NeoNazi Violence.

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2015
longish article in the New York Times Magazine:

U.S. Law Enforcement Failed to See the Threat of White Nationalism. Now They Don’t Know How to Stop It.

White supremacists and other far-right extremists have killed far more people since Sept. 11, 2001, than any other category of domestic extremist. The Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism has reported that 71 percent of the extremist-related fatalities in the United States between 2008 and 2017 were committed by members of the far right or white-supremacist movements. Islamic extremists were responsible for just 26 percent. Data compiled by the University of Maryland’s Global Terrorism Database shows that the number of terror-related incidents has more than tripled in the United States since 2013, and the number of those killed has quadrupled. In 2017, there were 65 incidents totaling 95 deaths. In a recent analysis of the data by the news site Quartz, roughly 60 percent of those incidents were driven by racist, anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic, antigovernment or other right-wing ideologies. Left-wing ideologies, like radical environmentalism, were responsible for 11 attacks. Muslim extremists committed just seven attacks.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
law enforcement and hate group watch-dog centers within the USA have never underestimated the problem.

it is the USAmerican public in general which has ignored the problem.
a racist is the president, you know.
he didn't just walk into the oval office.
you put him in there.

blue tsunami coming.
feel it.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Because "Nazi" is just used to mean "anyone who I disagree with" now. As opposed to, ya know, horrible *******s who like to gas Jews and gays and anyone else who doesn't fit their narrow definition of what is appropriate for the world.
You mean how like the safe spacers called women who dared to speak up for themselves as 'feminazis'?

---------

To take up the inevitable bit of enabling, are we sure they mean to be white supremacists? Maybe they are just people saying hateful things to others because they've had a bad day? :rolleyes:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
law enforcement and hate group watch-dog centers within the USA have never underestimated the problem.
I think they have.

At many of the alt-right rallies the police have been, if not overtly supportive of the marchers, at least a little too friendly with them in many instances.

They've also been remarkably reluctant to call out right-wing terrorists for what they are. Dylan Roof wasn't a racist domestic terrorist. He was a troubled individual. Just this spring, a guy here in Wisconsin, with an apartment filled with white supremacist literature and firearms, blew himself up cooking up TATP (a homebrewed chemical explosive.) And because he had neat hair and a responsible job at a nearby food factory, the local police chief theorized he was just a home chemistry enthusiast who got a little careless. (The authorities had to destroy the rest of the apartment complex in a 'controlled burn" because the explosion had spread dangerous material throughout it. Something like 40 people lost their homes.)

Let's also not forget the fact that local law enforcement in the pre-Civil Rights era were all-but co-conspirators with the KKK and other vigilante groups. Which is why so many lynchings, shootings, and burnings never were prosecuted.

This is a real danger. Because if the cops are sympathetic to right-wing extremists (and some of them are right now) - it makes the future of this country all the more perilous.

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I live in rural America and I can't say I've ever met a neo-Nazi, Nazis, white supremacists, or any of their ilk. Seems like a lot of scare tactics to me with the way the media covers anything these days. I've met some scary women though.

Reactions: linuxcooldude

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I live in rural America and I can't say I've ever met a neo-Nazi, Nazis, white supremacists, or any of their ilk. Seems like a lot of scare tactics to me with the way the media covers anything these days.
And I’ve never met any Muslim extremists. Doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

There are certainly plenty of rural Americans who can’t handle outsiders.

I've met some scary women though.
Which translates to “I met a woman who stood up for herself” once.

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
You're assuming a lot.

I've never met a Muslim extremist either. I have met a couple Muslims. Real nice people. She would give me a glass of Tang as I went by mowing the yard (I do apt maintenance). The kicker is that they watched Fox News!

Reactions: bambooshots

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
White supremacists and other far-right extremists have killed far more people since Sept. 11, 2001, than any other category of domestic extremist.
Once you start manipulating the data to get an expected outcome, you already lost the argument. Of course 9/11 was one of the biggest terror attacks in US history. Nearly 3,000 killed with another 6,000 injured.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I live in rural America and I can't say I've ever met a neo-Nazi, Nazis, white supremacists, or any of their ilk.
That is unsurprising. Rural America is where people just do their thing and get by. When population density is low, you just deal with life and mostly try not to make enemies. City dwellers learn to live together in comparatively close quarters, but they too are mostly just getting by. It is the boundary layers – the edges of the city and the suburbs – where you find most of the far-White.

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Sydde - you hit the nail on the head and I agree completely (as far as where I live/work anyway). In this region, we are all here to mostly work and take care of our families. A far right or left would be laughed at here.

Reactions: Eraserhead

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I live in rural America and I can't say I've ever met a neo-Nazi, Nazis, white supremacists, or any of their ilk. Seems like a lot of scare tactics to me with the way the media covers anything these days.
Are you trying to say that neo -nazi, nazis, or white supremacists are a rural America thing?

As pointed out, there's video documentation of them being around in large cities as well as other rural areas, for everyone to see. There isn't one home for such individuals. As pointed out, just because you haven't experienced them personally, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

I've met some scary women though
That sounds more like a local genetics issue.

Reactions: ronntaylor

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Are you trying to say that neo -nazi, nazis, or white supremacists are a rural America thing?

As pointed out, there's video documentation of them being around in large cities as well as other rural areas, for everyone to see. There isn't one home for such individuals. As pointed out, just because you haven't experienced them personally, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

That sounds more like a local genetics issue.
I honestly don't have any idea if they are a 'rural' thing or not. All I said was that I do live in rural America, and that I never have seen it personally. If I did, it would be shocking and highly frowned upon.

And women. I have nothing else to say there aside from it most definitely not being a local genetics issue. I can see what you're getting at though.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I’d argue there is a difference between Nazi (neonazi) and white supremacist. I think it’s important to accurely label these groups.

In the 17 years since 2001 there have been roughly 16,000 murders per year. Call that 272,000 murders. About 3000 people died on 9/11. That means roughly .001 of all murders have allegedly been white supremacist inspired murders- or allegedly hate crime murders perpetrated by white indivials. It’s not entirely surprising the majority of “extremist related murders” would be commuted by white people considering whites make up the majority of the population. I would be curious to see how the ADL determines if a murder is “extremist related”- whether that’s what the court decided or rather the ADL’s perception it is such.

The study also cites 26% of radical murders are committed by Middle Easterners The Middle Eastern American is said to be 3.7m- 1.1% of the population- which is probably why they garner so much attention.

White supremacy is definitely a growing concern, though I’m not too concerned about neonazis specifically, at least in the US. They seem to be a very small part of the white sumptemacist population. Anti-semitism however has skyrocketed around the world, which is just not acceptable in 2018.

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I live in rural America and I can't say I've ever met a neo-Nazi, Nazis, white supremacists, or any of their ilk. Seems like a lot of scare tactics to me with the way the media covers anything these days. I've met some scary women though.
I think it’s highly likely that you’ve met some, but you just don’t realize it.

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I think it’s highly likely that you’ve met some, but you just don’t realize it.
I meet a lot of people everyday, mostly tenants that I see often/daily (many many). I don't subscribe to the boogyman theory though. Unless you're constantly stereotyping people; which I've heard is bad nowadays.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I honestly don't have any idea if they are a 'rural' thing or not. All I said was that I do live in rural America, and that I never have seen it personally. If I did, it would be shocking and highly frowned upon.

And women. I have nothing else to say there aside from it most definitely not being a local genetics issue. I can see what you're getting at though.
It's also shocking & highly frowned upon in big cities. Basically until a couple of years ago, it was shocking & highly frowned upon to see racists of any sort in the U.S.. It just wasn't supposed to be United States thing, with the whole 'melting pot' thing we're kind of big on.

Sarcasm aside, what I was getting at, is that just because you don't see something in front of you, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist for others. It just means that for you, it's a local thing.
[doublepost=1541288697][/doublepost]
If anything, I am shocked that democrats/liberals don't talk more about the black-on-black murder rate. Or how many black children don't make it past Planned Parenthood.
You won't hear about dems or libs talking about such things, because those come from repubs/conserv playbook of talking points. Just like the imaginary hellscape of Chicago. Dems & libs tend to leave those stories for repubs & conservatives to scare their kids on every other day but Halloween.

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Fair enough. We all live in our 'local ecosystems' as I call it, and it's just difficult to make sense of it. Watching the news a lot of the time (especially in the last couple years), you have to wonder. It's a mad world out there for sure. I just hope next Tuesday people are making informed votes and not emotional driven votes based on media coverage.