America is no longer a democracy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Aranince, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aranince macrumors 65816

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=80688

I really don't care what your opinion is of Prop 8 or that whole situation, that is a whole other topic. What I find stupid is that the government can overrule your vote. This means that your votes do not count, and it means that we are no longer a democracy, but a oligarchy on the line of a dictatorship. A country once run by the people, is slipping into the tyrannical government America was founded to get away from. This is outrageous.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yea, sucks that they can overturn discrimination right?

Damn all my homework would be done fast if the government hadn't taken away my slaves!:rolleyes:

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The civil rights of the few should never be taken away by the majority. I'm glad the governator is fighting this, as should every single American concerned about their own civil rights, gay or straight.

4. Aranince thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't care what it is or what your opinion of the matter. The voters voted, the prop passed. Get over it. If the people vote, and something passes, that should be it.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No it isn't! How can people be this ignorant? Please, for the love of God, read the Constitution of the United States. When you're done with that, read the Bill of Rights. Minorities' rights are absolutely protected from tyranny of the majority. Without that, blacks and women still probably couldn't vote.

You cannot take rights from people just because you disagree with them. You can't. Get used to it. This is the USA, not Iran.

6. Aranince thread starter macrumors 65816

It's going to become Iran with all this big government and power the democrats and liberals are giving away.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What if Proposition 8 was shown to be illegal under the Constitution? Would you have a problem with that?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats a very ignorant statement to make.

Again, discrimination should not be tolerated in the country. Why a majority vote can take away from the minority rights is completely beyond me.

Get over it? What if we voted to take your marriage rights away?

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

No. Discrimination doesn't work that way.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Vote for a poorly written law, and the law gets repealed. Case in point: Prohibition. Ask your grandparents and (if they are still alive) your great-grandparents what it was like to have a poorly written initiative/proposition voted into law when so many people were against it. Ask about the events that happened for 15 years until that law was repealed.

A poor law even passed in the name of family values, religion, or what have you is still a poorly written law that needs to be either repealed or seriously revised.

Like I just said, don't let the 18th and 21st Amendments to the US Constitution slap you in the face too hard. :rolleyes:

BL.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

See- you don't even know what the United States of America means or what it stands for. It stands for freedom. I can no more take rights from you than you can from me. This proposition runs contrary to the US Constitution.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are you kidding? The reason we have courts is to make sure laws and propositions are Constitutional. In this case, it is not and will be overturned. This is about civil rights, not marriage. Get over it.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Iran you say?

14. Aranince thread starter macrumors 65816

Passing prop 8 discriminates against my views and oppinions.

15. pooky macrumors 6502

I saw the thread title, and who the OP was, and my first thought was, "This is going to be good..."

Don't see what is undemocratic about the people working to have legislation enacted. Isn't that what democracy is about? The Gov's point wasn't to go around the democratic process, but rather to examine the amendment as passed to see if it is legal. There are many of the opinion that it is not. If it is overturned, supporters of discrimination are welcome to try to put a better measure/amendment on the ballot next time. Along the same lines, supporters of equal rights can float attempts to repeal prop 8 as often as they want, until one passes (which is inevitable).

See, that's how democracy works. Citizens get involved, they work within the system to change things (hopefully for the better, but obviously not always). If we truly lived in an oligarchy, the gov could have overturned it without having to deal with pesky things like courts and law.

Like it or not (and I know conservatives usually don't like it, especially when it doesn't go their way) an active judiciary is an absolutely essential part of a functional democracy. Sometimes judges have to overturn the voters. That's the way the system is supposed to work.

Ok I'm done </rant>

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow, its official.
    Guys:

[​IMG]

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

And the local bank not giving me 1 million dollars because I ask for it discriminates against me fulfilling my dream of belly-flopping into a pool of jello.

LET'S PROTEST!

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Your views and opinions are not civil rights. Gays' and Lesbians' rights to marry are. my rights as a half Black/half Amer. Indian to marry a white woman are.

BL.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sorry, our views and opinions have no bearing on other's civil rights.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Reality and logic discriminates against you views and oppinions.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Your views and opinions end where others' rights begin. That is all there is to it.

22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

How dare the government want people to be equal.

It has been known for sometime (Women's suffrage, civil rights movement) that majority rule is NOT always a viable solution.

I would suppose then that if there are more men then women in America we should revoke the right to vote, own property and the like? I mean majority rule right?

23. Aranince thread starter macrumors 65816

Whatever, let them get married. America is already perverted beyond repair, whats the point of fixing it.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

better your discriminative views than love, right?

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.