America, land of the free

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 11, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Good old Gwinnett County in the last clip.

Cop Block and Sovereigns provide for hours of YouTube entertainment.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Seriously, of all things that make us not so free, these checkpoints are super low in priority.

How about the fact that Republican/Conservative groups are trying to block a CFPB rule to ban clauses that prevent consumers from opting out of arbitration. Because freedom requires waiving your rights through adhesion contracts?

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Who doesn't like a little "papiere bitte" every once in a while./sarcasm

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

My information may be dated but here it is.

Sobriety check points (in CA) were announced in advanced along with exit points to avoid them. The courts upheld them as constitutional back then.

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yup. My understanding is that they do it in Fulton and Cobb as well.

I'm torn on the forced blood draws. You can get a warrant for hair samples, I suppose blood isn't much different. And it's the only reliable way to get a DUI conviction when someone refuses the field sobriety tests.

On the other hand, it's creepy as all get out. I hate needles, and the thought of getting pinned by some meat head cops while they ram a needle in my arm makes my skin crawl.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They're also sometimes strangely avoidable. Last time I saw one, I just made a slight detour to avoid it. I had just hit the gym prior to closing then the grocery store. Traffic was backed up due to that check, and I didn't feel like dealing with it. I suspect drunk drivers could do the same though.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They announce them here in the papers and local news. I'm not sure if they tell you paths to avoid them.

If you refuse here drunk or not you lose your license. Cool thing is we have "party tags" to spot the drunks.

[​IMG]

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

On the other hand here we are carping about being oppressed, instead of eating maggoty stew in a slam for having insulted the monarch's dog or some such.

But yes, our freedoms have been both expanded and curtailed in my lifetime so far. We don't seem to pick up real fast on the idea that the hammer slammed down on someone else today could hit us tonight. Yet it's one of the most obvious lessons available from history. There was a time more Republicans would have objected to some of the restrictions went up around us after 9/11. There was a time more Democrats would have stood up to some of the elisions of freedom that took place under Obama in his renewal or extension of some of those same measures.

We watch, and wait... for what, exactly? For when they come for our tribe, famiiy, us personally?

We have got pretty dumbed down. It's not simple to decipher what the Congress is trying to do now in some of their deregulation efforts. Cheering on "deregulation" per se, without understanding the protections being removed that way, is pretty dumb and pretty disturbing to see happening. But not enough people have stood up and said wait a damn minute here this sledgehammer to the EPA is not what the Republican party was once all about. And not enough have called up Dems to say 'Why are you not objecting to this legislation?" The Democrats sit there cowed like they're still in November 9th's funk and blues. Meanwhile the Republicans skate on with no effective countermessage from the other party. Neither party is dealing to Americans with all due respect.

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Cherokee, Douglas, and Paulding as well. Cobb was taking suspects to Kennestone for blood draws, and the hospital policy said the suspect has to consent or they wouldn't do it. Not sure if the other counties use hospitals or do it like Gwinnett.

The easiest way is to suspend their license like Drew posted above.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Since I understood they were legal I didn't give them much thought. I worked two of them (assigned) and hated it. I hated most things traffic enforcement related...except for pc stops.

Btw - I heard some departments actually added directed traffic patrol on the escape routes to monitor cars using them. If true I think that might undermine the legality of the check point.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah I'm not sure of the details. I wasn't stopped, but I also wasn't drunk. It wouldn't have been difficult to conceal officers on the off routes. The sobriety check was right before a freeway on ramp, which was quite annoying. I'm not much of a drinker anyway. I have a tendency to space out at times, so I hate anything that makes that worse.