America votes for terrorism

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
156
0
America has voted and she has said:

It's ok to use lies to invade a country that is of ZERO threat to you.

It's ok to kill 100,00 people, many women and children.

It's ok to withdraw from international arms limitation treaties

It's ok to f#@k the environment.

I really thought that judging by the good people on this board, the US might really have enough decent people to change direction.

Apparently not.

It now is my fervent hope that as America sows, so shall she reap.

Who now will save the world from the US?
 

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
1,208
4,026
PDX
DG, as much as I tend to agree, I am not sure that such a polemic post is justified at this point. Many of us are weary post-election, and as the polls have shown, we are a minority opinion.

I would ask that you attempt to suck it up and hope for the best in the coming four years. I realize there is not much evidence for such optimism, but I do hope the country can somewhat unite for the betterment of us all.

I am not excusing anything, but I am of the opinion that if we elected a child-molester (hypothetical), I am not going to gripe about it, I am going to work towards helping the kids.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
diamond geezer said:
It now is my fervent hope that as America sows, so shall she reap.
Sheesh. Can we get more hateful, fear-mongering, bitter posts today? Kerry lost. I'm pissed, sure, but I can either spend my time wishing ill upon everyone around me, or I can keep trying to work for a better life. What America "sows" goes well beyond what you have put in your post, as well as beyond our choice for president. Is there more we can do? Yes. Is there more that every single country in the world can do? You bet. Let's stop bitching and actually do something.
 

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
156
0
emw said:
Let's stop bitching and actually do something.
Do what, can we do what America does and invade? All that the rest of the world can do is bitch and you lot take no notice.

How long do we let America kill, maim and murder (all in self defense of course).

An eye for and eye is the only language your country understands and so is the only language that can now be used.
 

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
1,640
1
State College, PA
diamond geezer said:
America has voted and she has said:

It's ok to use lies to invade a country that is of ZERO threat to you.

It's ok to kill 100,00 people, many women and children.

It's ok to withdraw from international arms limitation treaties

It's ok to f#@k the environment.
As opposed to voting against the majority of military aspects that would protect us should an attack happen?

As opposed to having a "plan" that would solve every problem you mentioned, and never saying exactly what that plan was - only referring to it being on your website on occasion?

Concerning terrorism and your vote, if you're against terrorism, you can be asured America made the right choice.
 

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
156
0
makisushi said:
How is wishing ill will against our country at all productive?
Does diplomacy work with your country? NO.

Should the lies and murder in Iraq go unanswered? NO

If America had shown itself to be a decent society then I would be singing it's praises, but todays America bears no relation to the America that the world used to look up to.

America just had it's chance to show its true colours and it has done that.
 

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
2,435
5,496
OBJECTIVE reality
makisushi said:
How is wishing ill will against our country at all productive?
Don't you sense the irony in that question, though? If America is doing good, it will reap those rewards. That's not "wishing ill" on us. But you're inferring that bad things will come back to us, which automatically assumes we're doing bad things.

And while diamond geezer is blunter than perhaps I would be, he's not wrong...unfortunately.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
diamond geezer said:
Do what, can we do what America does and invade? All that the rest of the world can do is bitch and you lot take no notice.

How long do we let America kill, maim and murder (all in self defense of course).

An eye for and eye is the only language your country understands and so is the only language that can now be used.
Ah, you're not from America. In that case, I feel for you since you really can't do all that much.

However, you are generalizing an entire country here, and many of us do not support the war or many of the current administrations policies. Unfortunately, enough of us do (or at least didn't trust the new guy) that they were able to vote Bush back in.

Perhaps you'd be willing to share where you're from so that we could understand your point a little more clearly?
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
edesignuk said:
"diamond geezer" - that's gotta be a brit!
If he is, indeed, from England, perhaps we should be talking about who all sent troops and support to Iraq.

Ah, it's not worth it. I couldn't even get my parents to vote for Kerry, how am I going to convince someone halfway around the world that many of us aren't just bastards looking for a fight?

I'm going to go talk about Keira now...
 

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
156
0
Josh said:
As opposed to voting against the majority of military aspects that would protect us should an attack happen?

As opposed to having a "plan" that would solve every problem you mentioned, and never saying exactly what that plan was - only referring to it being on your website on occasion?

Concerning terrorism and your vote, if you're against terrorism, you can be asured America made the right choice.
A plan that didn't involve invading a defenseless country that has never attacked the US and had no connection to 911 would have been a start.

Iraq now suffers the equivalent deaths (factored by population) of a 911 EVER WEEK and you sit there and talk about keeping yourself safe.
 

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
1,639
0
Plant City, FL
HA HA HA HA HA!!! It's great to see people cracking some pretty good jokes! This thread is a good laugh. Thanks for keeping me entertained, guys.

Daniel
 

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
976
0
Kerry quit. Bush won fair and square. It's true...The American people voted and they picked Bush by a large 4 million people. It would have been a feat if Kerry did it, too.
 

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
7,028
1
back in NYC!
jet3004 said:
Kerry quit. Bush won fair and square. It's true...The American people voted and they picked Bush by a large 4 million people. It would have been a feat if Kerry did it, too.
No one is denying that. We are just surprised that people could vote for him.... twice.

scem0
 

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
1,639
0
Plant City, FL
Well, being on the other side, I can't believe that anyone voted for Kerry. But, the great thing about America, is that we have the freedom to have completely opposite opinions and express them through voting for our government officials. America is the greatest nation in the world because we have that type of freedom, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. I hope that you all agree with me, at least in that respect. Never be ashamed to be an American.

Daniel
 

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
648
0
Planet Earth
diamond geezer said:
America has voted and she has said:

It's ok to use lies to invade a country that is of ZERO threat to you.

It's ok to kill 100,00 people, many women and children.

It's ok to withdraw from international arms limitation treaties

It's ok to f#@k the environment.

I really thought that judging by the good people on this board, the US might really have enough decent people to change direction.

Apparently not.

It now is my fervent hope that as America sows, so shall she reap.

Who now will save the world from the US?
Well said, diamond geezer.

Let us all say a prayer for the estimated 100,000 people killed by the Americans in Iraq, as well as the 1,000 U.S. soldiers.

Bush supporters: this weighs very heavily on your shoulders and your conscience. Do you know what 100,000 people means? What that looks like? How many lives destroyed and how many will never be the same again?

I am honestly not sure how you can sleep at night; perhaps you don't.
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,889
25
Northern Virginia
emw said:
Sheesh. Can we get more hateful, fear-mongering, bitter posts today? Kerry lost. I'm pissed, sure, but I can either spend my time wishing ill upon everyone around me, or I can keep trying to work for a better life. What America "sows" goes well beyond what you have put in your post, as well as beyond our choice for president. Is there more we can do? Yes. Is there more that every single country in the world can do? You bet. Let's stop bitching and actually do something.
I think the point is that we as a nation has led a sheltered life in regards to the rest of the world. I surely wish no ill on our nation. Though to have us "suffer" in some degree as the rest of the world has over the years, may humble us and make us better equipped to meet the needs of the world as a whole. Rather than thinking just of ourselves.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
alexf said:
I am honestly not sure how you can sleep at night; perhaps you don't.
They don't think about the 100,000... only the 3,000 that died on 9/11. Even though Iraq had nothing to do with it. Apparently not enough people thought Kerry would be strong enough against this imminent threat. Not that Bush is doing much against Bin Laden, and we're making things worse just by being in Iraq. Apparently more than 50% felt the domestic issues were not as important, or that Kerry couldn't do better. Or Kerry just didn't speak to them. The undecided and apathetic did not vote as much as people were expecting, while the people who Bush targeted came out in droves.

Fear is a powerful weapon, as is hope. As is fundamentalism. Plus people liked Bush's simple answers to complicated questions versus Kerry's long, boring lectures.

I will admit I voted against Bush, not for Kerry. I liked some of his more moderate domestic positions, but I did actually vote on for him mostly because of terrorism. I do not feel Bush has done a good job against the real terrorists and Iraq just seems to be making things worse. Anybody else think it's funny that New York, where 9/11 actually happened, voted for Kerry? I sincerly hope all of Bin Laden's talk is just that. Talk. That he sees us self destructing, and doesn't see the need to try for another 9/11.

I hope it doesn't take another attack to bring us together... I do not want to be proven right that way.
 

kjgnola

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2004
179
119
New Orleans
dsharits said:
Well, being on the other side, I can't believe that anyone voted for Kerry. But, the great thing about America, is that we have the freedom to have completely opposite opinions and express them through voting for our government officials. America is the greatest nation in the world because we have that type of freedom, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. I hope that you all agree with me, at least in that respect. Never be ashamed to be an American.

Daniel
Daniel,

I really try not to argue ad hominem, but you obviously don’t get out of the TB/St Pete area too often. Quite a bit of the world gets to vote these days. Hell even Afghanistan held elections this week. The French, British, Germans, and yes even the Russians hold elections to elect their leaders. And maybe your contention is not that others don’t get to vote, but that is what it looks like.

And for your statement of never be ashamed, that is like saying ‘you are either with us or against us.’ There are things, actions and policies, that I am ashamed of that this country has done and enforced. So am I ashamed to BE an American, hell no. Are there times I am ashamed, well yes there are, and this is one of those times. And are we the greatest nation on earth, well we are quickly becoming not that country. We have lost the respect of most of the world that we once had and have entered into an era where Just War theory has been evicted from Washington and pre-emptive strike is the heart of the Bush Doctrine.