America, Were the Good Guys, Because We Are

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Mar 16, 2012.

1. malman89 macrumors 68000

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So sad that you get more real news from a comedy show than our joke media.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Disgusting.

I am truly ashamed of this country.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Then move.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wouldn't mind.

But for now, you're stuck with me.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Your black and white text on a forum is making no waves in my existence or my quality of life thereof.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Some who'd move out of the United States over a Daily Show segment wouldn't actually have the balls to move out. True Story.

8. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's more that it's a pain in the ass to move out of any country. I'm not afraid of leaving but acquiring a new country is generally a-lot of work.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Seen with foreign eyes, you haven't been the good guys for a long time.

I would say Kennedy's white house, was the last time you were seen by the world as the good guys.

10. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

The thing is you can't tell that to a solid percentage of the American people. If we're in a conflict were on the "right" side, if we say someone is "the bad guy" than they must be etc.

You're from Germany (I believe) and your nation has made a real effort to recognize and atone for the mistakes of its past.

American foreighn basically refuse to admit that we make mistakes, and commit atrocities (and I'm talking about our worst behaviors and human rights violations here). And we sure as hell don't learn from those mistakes, or educate about them so as to prevent them coming around again.

11. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

What a joke. It's part of this "American Exceptionalism" rhetoric, which is some of the biggest b.s. ever invented. Just take a look at the US political and military history, and the motivation behind US involvement in most of wars abroad... and not to mention US war crimes. So much for the good guys.

Does anybody seriously believe this? and how ridiculous it sounds when broadcasted outside the US?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

When has this argument ever made sense?

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You actually know someone who decided to emigrate because of a Daily Show segment, only to back down because of fear?

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Was more of a statement than an argument. He is disgusted and ashamed of the US. Moving sounds extremely reasonable in such situation. Unless there isn't another place where he/she could find accommodations and a lifestyle better than his/her current one; wherein it seems the US isn't so bad after-all.

15. diazj3, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

yeah, but... don't you see the irony of it?

Basically you are saying that whoever disagrees with things their government does or says, and has a negative feeling and opinion about them should either shut up or move out. But this good-guys-american-exceptionalism b.s. is heavily based on the arguments of personal freedom, democracy, free speech, and so on. The US has even invaded countries on the (false, of course) pretense they'd bring such values there.

So, wouldn't telling someone to move out because she/he disagrees with this crap be proof that the US is not the "good guys"?

And furthermore... if you don't see the irony, wouldn't that alone be proof that this "good guys" idea is just a rhetorical cynical lie, and therefore, shame and disgust are logically justified?

Just think about it...

cheers!

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This is supposed to be a country where people stand up and fight for their beliefs. Not leave with their tail between their legs.

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Really?

Because its piss simple to get into New Zealand.

True Story.

18. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Noted, for future reference.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

oh btw,

wiki

I love all the haters based on one daily show segment vs a little research. :rolleyes:

[whine]wwwweeeeehh, i can't believe i live in a country with so many *******s wwwweeeeehhh[/whine] lol

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Basically what I'm doing is agitating posters that bitch and complain about the US on the regular when the US is one of the reasons they can bitch and complain to begin with.

Do I agree with everything the government does? No. Am I ashamed of the country? No. I know the heart and soul that Americans have and just because a few elected idiots are making poor decisions doesn't mean the original fight, morality and heart of the American people is lost as a whole.

Maybe a better response next time would be:

"Quit bitching and go fix it then".

21. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Life's to short, and you can't fix stupid. Let the "America is the best because" crowd do what they wan't and they'll soon figure out how much a false sense of superiority is worth.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

but you won't go right?

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A nation's standing in the world should not be measured solely in monetary terms. Nor does foreign aid in any way excuse bad behavior.