American Athletes to bring their own meat to Olympics

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tjcampbell, Feb 22, 2008.

1. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

China hurt over U.S. food plan for Games

The United States Olympic Committee is planning to transport tons of meat and other foods to a training camp at Beijing Normal University. The 600-plus American athletes are expected to eat their daily meals at the Athletes Village, USOC spokesman Darryl Seibel said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/02/22/olympics.food.ap/index.html

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Why not. It's been done at other games according to the article.

And right now, there have been some food issues concerning China.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That must be the MacDonalds sponsorship then…
    ;)

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

5. Becan macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

ha, brilliant

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Even as an athlete, would I want to go to China and eat American food?

Gimme some rice, bitches.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Irony? No.
    Just coincidence...

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I read somewhere that american basketball players in China have a really hard time finding food. Many of them just eat rice and whatever is familiar...

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They're not willing to try anything.

I've been to China. Just eat. My friend is teaching there at the moment, and he's loving the food. He's also quite happy about being able to drink anywhere he wants....

10. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

I think that it's a smart move. I personally would not want to eat food that was made in China for a number of reasons.

11. carlgo macrumors 68000

They work for years and go through all kinds of trials to get to the Olympics and do not want to fail because their body is not used to the local food.

Athletes from other countries do the same when they come here to compete. Nobody has the time to aclimate.

On vacation, food is a different subject, eat local because that is part of the fun. Still, there are limits. I couldn't eat what that Bizarre Food guy does on TV.

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

The thread title immediately reminded me of Linford Christie's lunchbox.

13. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

The odds are you are eating food made in China.

14. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i think that's expected, dieting is very important for athletes. i'm no pro, but i bring my protein bars when i travel so i get enough nutrients.

poor gal is gonna develop eating disorder now...

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok, fair enough, but I think the food the athletes receive at the Olympics would be rather standardized for universal tastes, and absolutely full of the good stuff (and not pure crap). They're probably getting organic food as well, with certain farms growing/raising food especially for the Olympic athletes.

If I was an athlete, I wouldn't be too worried. However, I can understand your point, particularly if the coaches and athletes haven't seen the menu yet.

16. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I say its a non-issue as long as American Olympic committee (whatever the organization is called) is willing to pay the cost.

17. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

And I believe the Australian team is bringing their own water. Perhaps if each country brings something extra they could have a party!

18. nplima macrumors 6502a

conspiracy theories aside, if athletes wants to be at their absolute best, should they travel to a place 10 time zones away and go for exotic/experimental cuisine?
    don't think so...

19. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

note to self - never invite aussies to parties. :p

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's nothing new – sports teams have been taking their own foods and stuff to foreign climes for years. For one thing, it stops any unfortunate disagreements between the local cuisine and athletes digestive systems.

As an example, when the 1970 World Cup was held in Mexico the England team took their own food and drink with them. 'Keeper Gordon Banks decided to sample some local food (I think it was a salad that had been washed and prepared using the local water, but I might be wrong) and ended up bedridden with an upset tummy. As a result, our first choice shot-stopper missed the quarter-final against West Germany – we lost the game and were out of the tournament.

I imagine that the various national Olympic associations wouldn't be keen on any of their athletes having to miss competing after four years worth of training for it. I'm certain many other countries will have similar policies regarding taking their own supplies to China, I'd be highly surprised if the US are the only ones.

21. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

awww c'mon....