American Carnage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jan 20, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I never thought I would hear that phrase uttered anywhere besides a poorly translated ISIL video. Or maybe a D-list slasher film.

And yet that is the way Donald J. Trump, our 45th President chose to describe this great country of ours.

If there is "carnage" anywhere in American society, it might be used to describe our murder rate. It might be applied to the soaring rate of deaths from opioid overdoses. It might (at a stretch) be applied to the alarming jump in traffic fatalities linked to testing-while-driving.

But for most of us, "carnage" is simply not the adjective that describes our daily existence.

I look at the city where I live. I see the lawns, the parked cars. The strip malls and coffee shops. I see the gleaming office towers, the spotless, well-stocked supermarkets. I see the freeways packed with people going about their business. I see yellow school buses picking up kids. I see families of every description eating in restaurants and watching TV together.

But I don't see "carnage"

That's not say there aren't problems in our country and our society. I do see too many vacant commercial buildings. I do see potholed and cracked roads. I do see inner city neighborhoods beset by crime and poverty. Plagued by drugs and gangs.

But whatever shortcomings we have in America today, whatever failings we have in opportunity, and infrastructure. They won't be solved by Donald Trump's lies and boasting. And they certainly won't be solved by a Republican Congress giving millionaires and billionaires another massive tax cut. They won't be solved by Trump and the Republicans stripping health insurance away from twenty or thirty million of our most vulnerable citizens.

If there is to be "carnage" in America, it is going to be the financial kind. When we wake up one morning and find that half or more of our 401(k) account has been wiped out. That our Government really can't raise the money to pay the interest on the extra $10 trillion in debt the Republicans just promised they are going to run up.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I would worry about some of you but there is no point in doing so

3. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, but you are going to have to explain that to me.

What are you worried about? That I'm going to be murdered by bogeymen? That I'm failing to account for the macroeconomic effects of tax policy?

You spent the best part of the last eighteen months shrieking about how Hillary Clinton needs to be imprisoned. I fail - utterly - to see how that would make the slightest iota of difference to pretty much any American's daily way of life. But taking away health insurance from twenty million of your fellow citizens is just something we should ignore? That burdening the 320 million or so of us who aren't making $5 million a year with an extra $10 trillion of Government debt is somehow a good idea.

4. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I think people read to much into his statements. He is not the speaker Obama has been.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I admit that I was also surprised by the word carnage. It's a very strong term, an interesting choice.
    On the other hand, when I go to the board meetings of the local school district or when I volunteer etc and see all the lost potential of this country - which many take for granted, especially young people - "carnage" might be close to adequate.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

He's also a complete imbecile. He thought carnage was a salumi tray.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Yeap. No point worrying about you guys.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Make it Zombie/Horror themed and the Carnage Salumi Trail (TM) could be a successful hot seller

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Nothing short of carnage describes what's happening in cities like Chicago.

10. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Criminy people will bitch and moan about anything, won't they? I don't see anything objectionable in his speech. Wow, just wow.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It's pretty irreverent to the real carnage in the world

Also, it's not factual.

12. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

That may be true.

But I still fail to see how giving multimillionaires an even bigger tax break is going to do anything to change that.

Maybe you can tell me.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Dayton, OH has a higher murder rate per capita than Chicago.

So, what's your gun control plan?

14. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Not sure about that. He bested anything the Right and left tossed at him. I thought he had zero chance a year ago. If he's an imbecile whats that say about the 20+ candidates he beat?

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

He has a knack for catering to imbeciles like him.

And Democrats put up an historically bad candidate and it cost them dearly.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

He's definitely not an imbecile. Calling him that an imbecile is very reductive, the same way that people belittled Obama as an idiot and bush before him. If you get to that office you might be despicable, but not an imbecile.

17. Gutwrench, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Coming from a staunch anti-Clinton person watching the anti-Trump crowd's head popping everyday during the campaign was darn amusing. I was a bit saddened to see November come.

But watching the endless over-zealous hyper-criticisms of Trump since has given me a new joy. The mindless irrational over-reactions are comical. Can't those guys just have some patience and wait until he does inevitably f up and then make hay out of that? They're looking like fools!

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Keep It going and you'll see a second term. Never underestimate (and insult) the other side.

19. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

No kidding! I guess hindsight is 20-20 but the complete butt-kicking she took by Trump, of all people, ought to wake them up.

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Trump's second term depends almost entirely on the Democratic candidate. He has the approval rating of a one term president and he hasn't actually done anything. It would take another Clinton type candidate to lose the 2020 election.

That being said, based on the way the primaries were run, the Democrats could easily find a way to screw this up.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Birth control. Welfare depo shots would go a long way.

22. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Who says Trump doesn't step down after four...he'll be 74 by then. If this election and Clemson taught us anything is that people ought to be more careful over predictions.

23. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

"Carnage" accurately describes what now exists in many former Middle America/Rust Belt manufacturing and mining towns. Places where populations have fallen, houses are in disrepair, jobs are hard to come by, and the towns have little but a McDonald's and a couple bars.

People who years ago had stable, blue collar jobs but now only have anger and frustration- that's Trump's territory, and his use of that word spoke directly to them.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What's it say about the people who voted for him?