American diet improves, Coke counterattacks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Aug 10, 2015.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

First, there was the news that people in the U.S. are actually eating a little better, cutting the sugary drinks, and, obesity among children is improving (though, older adults already obese seem to be largely stuck:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/25/upshot/americans-are-finally-eating-less.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

(lots more - worth reading)

So, we now have the Coke counterstrike:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

I figured it was worth a few minutes checking out Steven N. Blair, and, he definitely has co-authored some decent papers -- papers showing that moderate exercise is good for you. (I didn't see anything proving that sugary drinks are good for you.)

What would possess someone to damage their own legacy this way. The guy did some decent work quantifying the value of exercise. Now he's in bed with a sweetened beverage company. Strange.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

They are just shooting themselves in the foot. Exercise is actually a part of regulating what you intake. Ever heard of someone wanting a Coke or Gatorade after running several miles? Nope, they want PURE WATER!!!

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Scientists all over the world are being pressured to strike up collaborations with industry as public funds for research dries up. In any case, serious journals will have a conflict of interest policy in which any funding from a private company would have to be acknowledged explicitly, and there are ways of check for data massaging and publication bias.

I do, regrettably. I used to drain a Big Gulp pretty quickly after exercise.

4. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Probably a bit of a fixed test. I imagine coke drinkers are less likely to run a couple of miles to begin with.

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Depending on how much they sweat, they might want the gatorade as opposed to the water after running several miles. But I wouldn't drink a coke at all after working out. Jesus.

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I disagree. Every morning of every day I run two miles. It is very humid where I live, and my shirt is literally soaking with sweat between the months of June and September. I do not want pure water when I finish. I used to drink Gatorade but quit a year ago in favor of Propel. It has a light flavor, no calories. I dread the mornings that I've run out of it and drink pure water. Just don't like it after exercising.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Well let's just say the majority, from what I've witnessed. I bet if you didn't have a choice of something ice cold, you'll most likely choose pure water after exercise.

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

unless you're a college/professional athlete, or have just vomited, gatorade is useless

9. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Coconut water is the best for hydration after a workout (in addition to water of course), but when it comes to soda, I enjoy some Zevia now and then.

10. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Gatorade tastes pretty good after I exercise. I still prefer cool water, but I got hooked on the crackorade early on.

11. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Neon colored juices just can't be good for my insides. But I have to be honest, it has electrolytes, and that's what plants and I crave.

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Everyone is looking for an excuse. Coke is not the problem.

I eat whatever I want, drink whatever I want. I don't give it a second thought other than what is my caloric intake, macros, and hitting the gym 3-4 times a week.

If a person chooses not to do that, blaming Coke or whomever is the obvious answer/excuse.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Actually they commonly do.
    Many running events coke is featured at aid stations. Coke is very popular with fitness nerds.
    You don't have to take my word for it.

[​IMG]

14. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Corn syrup and aspartame are evil. Thankfully, the market gives us healthy alternatives.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Have you seen the video of how your stomach reacts while trying to digest the blue stuff, just do a quick youtube search..... :eek::eek:

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I've been running the NYC marathon for over a decade every chance I get. You might have some that intake a small portion of certain sodas due to it's caffeine. And also you might see certain beverages because they are sponsors. But at the finish line, I rarely see anyone go for anything but pure water.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

And also what happens when you boil coke or pepsi. :eek:

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Not surprising. Its a mid-distance frufru city pavement run.

19. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Probably the same thing that happens when you boil anything. Things evaporate in order , lowest boiling point to highest boiling point.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Haven't drank Coke in over a decade. I do use it to clean my toilets once a year. **** makes them shine like new.

21. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Maybe once a year and I hate myself afterward. Usually in a mixed drink. Never out of a can or bottle.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My own experience is that when I was young and highly active, a dedicated runner, I could eat and drink whatever I wanted including sugary soft drinks, no problem. But my humanity caught up with me, aging, parts wearing out, and metabolism slowing down. I'm about 20 lbs overweight, but thankfully not obese. Ironically when I'm out and about I notice I have less of a gut than many 30-40 year olds. Texas used to be the land of slim, hot chicks. Not so much any more.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I agree with you. But coke is still pretty terribly unhealthy.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Yeah, I used to be that way too. Until about 35 years ago. Now, not drinking soft drinks works for me.

According to the article, statistically, many people are in fact choosing to live more responsibly-- by not drinking soft drinks. And, statistically, it is working.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I've switched mostly to drinking seltzer water in lieu of soft drinks, save that one can in the morning I use for my caffeine kick.

...or at least that's what I want to do. I've started trying to develop the habit, but I still cheat a lot.