American flag graphic on police cars divides California town

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 14, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.foxla.com/news/american-...urx9jNlUhcN8nInMsgLciQO4eveg_m3RAYttn_03PoUo0
    OMG, there is a flag painted in the car......someone got triggered :rolleyes:

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I am confused. :confused:
    I see some red, white and blue graphics over the word "police", but I don't see anything that I could ever call a flag.
    Is there something wrong with me?

4. AsherN macrumors 6502

It is somewhat in the pattern of the flag. Personally, I think it looks tacky on a police car.

5. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I am sick of there flashing Red, White and Blue lights!!!

They drive through our community day and night with sirens blaring and those lights of oppression flashing!

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It refers to the striped pattern and white stars over the blue portion. This is meant to resemble the appearance of a subset of the US national flag. It looks a little silly to me, as I would assume a solid color would be more readable given a split second glance. I'm skeptical as to whether anyone was genuinely triggered. This seems more like Fox is just reaching for rageclicks.

7. jerwin, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019

jerwin macrumors 68020

8. Solomani, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Rageclicks, rageclicks, whatcha gonna do?
    Whatcha gonna do when they trigger you.

Rageclicks, rageclicks, whatcha gonna do?
    Whatcha gonna do when they trigger you.

9. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Since 9/11 EVERYTHING has to wrap itself in the flag and faux-patriotism.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Assault flag?

Sorry, just couldn’t help myself. :D

In fairness, it’s probably just 2 or 3 local loons “objecting” to this.

11. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

If there is an issue this would be it, draping everything in patriotic colors, along with the stars to mimic the US flag, as to appeal to the public, as in look, we are patriotic police, we love our country as if that needs to be said.

Why does it need to be said? How insecure are we? Admittedly I am annoyed when I have pickup trucks driving by with giant US flags mounted and waving. Look, we support _______ (what exactly, your country, political party, President), and do you always wave your flag, or just when you party or President is in power, or there is a war you support?

D75FF18B-3A58-47DA-986A-EB60416E29E5.jpeg

Then there is the fact that I don’t find the design on the black car to be esthetic. Having the large blob of white defined by the doors is too large, overbearing, and just not esthetic. :)

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    I may have to drive down next weekend and check it out.
    So overblown by the media :rolleyes:
    *snip*
    “My purpose for standing before the council was the fact that a design was put before council and council approved the design,” she wrote. “Then the police cars showed up with a different design that was not approved. My `shock’ was in seeing a design that was not the approved design. Not shock at the American flag. As the original design Included the American flag.”
    https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-lb-council-preview-20190412-story.html

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

14. raqball macrumors 68000

Yeah it's pretty fugly but I don't get the outrage over it. If that's the design they want, rock on...

Is this a case of a few wackadoodle liberals being vocal about the oppressive, offensive, aggressive and disgusting US flag or is it mainstream liberal outrage?

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

This really annoys you?

This seems like such an odd take. I get that someone would feel that it isn’t necessary to have the flag on display, but to be annoyed by it and make assumptions like it’s about insecurity or political party affiliation makes me wonder what’s really at the root of what’s bugging you about this.

Do all flags bother you? If it was the California state flag would you feel the same way? Or a USC/UCLA/Stanford flag? Or is it just the Stars and Stripes?

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So the issue being the design ended up being changed from the initial one that was approved by the council( which both contained the American flag) and the outrage over the changed design is being construed as being hateful and anti-American? Did I get that right? The outage isn't over the American flag itself people...... It's just the design and look as the initial approved design also contained the flag.....

But hey people hating on the American flag gets more comments and outrage over just a design being ugly and changed without permission.....

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I love the flag, but that design is ugly as f-.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I feel the same way about *******s in a Prius with a Coexist bumper sticker. Makes me wanna drive them off the side of the road.

19. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

21. laptech macrumors 6502

laptech

I'm not an American but i like it. To me, to display a police logo like that says 'I am proud to be an American, i am proud to serve my country and uphold the law, i am proud of the flag'.

Now that might not be the intended message but to me, that is what the logo says and as such the logo should stay.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Oftentimes things are said not because they need to be said, but due to true desire of expressing an opinion and/or a feeling.

Since when expressing love for something by applying a bumper sticker, or waving a flag, or whatever is insecurity? There's absolutely no connection there.

I don't like it for safety reasons, but other than that I truly don't understand why you would be annoyed by someone that you see for about 0.5 seconds of your life only because he/she expresses something in a way you wouldn't do.

Yeah, the design is truly awful.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

And pro-choice/pro-life bumper stickers....those idiots can pound sand as well. The marathon, 1/2 marathon, 5k runners who plaster numbers on the back as well, as if anyone gives a ****. Luckily the dickwads in Monte Carlo's with Jeff Gordon's Nascar number in the rear port window have become a dying breed. It's a good thing for these people I'm not a traffic cop.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Maybe it’s people who think the design is crass.

25. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Not true ...
    My backup car - Escape, has been doing great. Do not jinx me ;)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2019 ---
    NB is a rich and heavy tourist town. They need something to stand out.
    Now the design ... could be better. JMO