American Footballers revolt

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by satcomer, Oct 20, 2013.

1. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

After reading about Grambling State football team revolted I am starting to think something wrong is wrong even in College sports these days. Where's is the NCAA and players health in this story?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The NCAA only cares about profit, the players are collateral damage.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

Yes and no. This is not only the FCS, but a historically black college (HBC). I doubt there's profit in the FCS. There's no sponsored bowls (playoffs instead) or real TV deals. There's no real profit for the NCAA to be had here.

However, the astronomical money involved with the top 4/5 conferences has lead to an unsustainable arms race in college football - whether that's upgraded stadiums, new facilities, or slick jerseys, it has caused the cost to play to rise significantly. While it's not even close to the same at the FCS level, there is still some trickle down in these tendencies. These poor FCS and HBC schools can't keep up - hell, most FBS teams can't keep up, as many teams there don't operate at a profit (or much of one).

Clearly the school can't support that many sports. They should phase out as many as they cannot afford. Taking general operating funds and raising tuition just to keep fielding horrible teams just to say you can field a team in X or Y sport is absurd.

4. satcomer thread starter macrumors 603

satcomer

Your speaking about US colleges correct? The last time I looked ( I received my BS in 1992) tuition has gone up to astronomical fees!!! I blame the whole college pay system scales because the pure costs of going to college is almost in the stars now.