American (I suspect a Trump supporter) goes to Germany

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kobalap, Aug 13, 2017.

1. jdillings macrumors 68000

No, he was just taking after this high profile Hillary supporter:
    [​IMG]

2. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Idk what your point is. The KKK actively supports Trump and the leader himself tweeted that. Definitely more racists support Trump than Hillary.

3. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

He should have been arrested and thrown in a German jail after he got random-punched by a German local. The American tourist dummy committed a crime, so he should spend jail time.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

More racists eat Doritos than Clinton supporters too I bet. Doritos are ****ing racist.

5. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Not really. Doritos have real nacho cheese in them. So they got some ethnic in them.

Lay's old fashioned potato chips. Now that's supremely white. Or white supremacist.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

drumpf should take a cue from this and go back to der homeland.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

They are talking about filing charges against him, and I agree, he should be jailed and fined.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It's probably wise to have a working knowledge of the laws of the country one travels to.

It occurred to me that in his drunken state he might have thought it would be humorous to poke fun at Germans by "heil hilter-ing" random people in the street, which would make him an idiot, but not necessarily a racist.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I guess he would be a Trump supporter in the same way a member of NAMBLA might be a Hillary supporter.

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Nah. A member of NAMBLA would likely be a Trump supporter as well. Perverts support eachother.

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Or Harry Reid.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably about the same amount of humor as reenacting 9/11 in NY. Imagine that would get you a punch in the face pretty quick as well.

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Well, like I said, it would make him an idiot.

Speaking of 9/11 I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't done this. Lots of people out there doing stupid and insensitive stuff in the world.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I believe kids these days see WW2 and the Holocaust through the lens of a video game where Nazis are just the super cool bad guys. I don't think Germans probably have much tolerance for something that destroyed their country.

15. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Yes, exactly that!

16. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

True.
    I think this was the beginning of the trend.

"Wolfenstein 3D"
    Nazis as gun fodder.
    [​IMG]
    Soon to become just another "fictional" evil like hordes of zombies.

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

There's some truth to that (even though it makes me shudder a bit). The further in history the Holocaust gets, the less "real" it will feel for the generations that come after. The last of the survivors will all be gone soon so we'll lose the first hand accounts of people who actually saw this happen.

We just need to make sure that it doesn't get buried in history books. Personally, I think every high school kid should watch Schindler's List as part of world history. I still remember watching it when I was in school.

18. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I can gather, Germans see the Holocaust as more than something that destroyed their country. They are not in denial about great sins their fathers and grandfathers committed. They don't water down or flat out re-write their history. As an example, they have turned former concentration camps into memorials to educate the public and to honor the victims.

If Germans had the Trump American mindset, they would try to use euphemisms in their text books - call the victims "guests". They would fly the Nazi flag over government buildings as celebration of their fathers' patriotic sacrifice to preserve the fatherland. And then they would say that the holocaust was never about exterminating jews and other subhuman groups - it was about celebrating and preserving the aryan race.

19. BoxerGT2.5, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

In Germany there is a term called "Vergangenheitsbewältigung" which means coping with the past. No, Germans don't water down their history books. In fact their isn't another country who has done more to remind everyone of their own past mistakes as Germany. There are countless memorials all over the country for the victims of the Holocaust. It transformed a country for generations (literally a transgenerational trauma) that caused them to shy away from the thought of national pride (some of that is lessening today) and a strong central figure. There was a time where no one would display a German flag in Germany, or it was rare. The world cup of soccer changed that. However, some would argue that German has taken their guilt too far even today and it has clouded their leaders judgment. The German people and the German government don't ever want the world to look at them and get an inkling of "not again". Hence the refugee issue that has angered many German's. They know it's the guilt of the past that has clouded their leaders ability to take a rational stand.