American Idol, it's about time with first gay singer!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Feb 13, 2014.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/02/12/mk-nobilette-openly-gay-american-idol-contestant/?hpt=hp_t3#

While many TV shows, fiction, non-fiction, or "reality" have had gay or lesbian leads, contestants, heroes, villains, love interests, etc, American Idol has finally come out with first openly gay contestant.

While it's a good thing, I am a longtime fan of the show and I thought Adam Lambert several years back was depicted as openly gay. Season 2 had Clay Aiken who many thought was straight but then came out later. He was a big heartthrob for screaming girls and still is. It's no big deal for Fox since their show Glee has had several key stars who are gay. Of course the blogsphere on American Idol has always speculated about host Ryan Seacrest being gay or former judge Simon Cowell. But I don't really see the big deal about what anybody labels themselves as and for this new contestant, I hope the media focuses on his singing talent and not his personal life.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have no "gaydar" whatsoever, but I can't imagine for one second that somebody thought Clay Aiken was straight.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I wasn't sure but what I knew at the time was it was the making of a performer, win or not, who would do very well among teenage and 20-something girls. The craziness with the fainting fans on tour was not unlike what we see with One Direction or Justin Bieber today.

The "Clay-mania" with his "Clay-mate" fans was kind of a pop phenomenon. He nearly won season 2 but during the whole series that year he was nowhere close to eventual winner Ruben Studdard when it came to singing. Ruben was this 300+ pound singer who had the voice but Clay certainly got a lot of votes from the female majority. Common sense won out when it came down to the final competition if we were to vote for an idol or a singer. While part of the show usually focused on looks and marketability, it still favored singing as is evidenced by other talented winners like Taylor Hicks who looked more like a fat, middle aged parent of a teenager.

Adam Lambert, in no universe, would be somebody anybody had any doubt about and unlike Clay Aiken, Adam was the clear cut talent of his season. Adam also came in 2nd but later sales showed that the record selling numbers went to Clay more than anyone in season 2, and to Adam after his season. At least America, and the world, didn't hold their sexuality against them in a way that it noticeably dented record sales. Elton John came out at the height of his popularity and it didn't seem to slow down his career either. But had it been the 1960s or before, it may have doomed a person's career. With Liberace, everybody knew, but as long as he didn't make a "statement" then everything went smoothly. At least today nobody has to hide and it's more about the talent.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I guess everyone forgot about this guy from season 1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Verraros
    What do they mean by first openly gay contestant? Adam was pretty openly gay. Clay was gay for sure but not sure about being open about it.

All this has to do with is ratings. Idol has been slumping the last few years so they need a shot in the arm to keep going. I've watched idol on and off to listen to someone's singing abilities and not what their attributes are.

5. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

No. It's silly. Good for this guy for being open, but it's not sad about American Idol or indicative of some homophobia on the show.

Actually, good for American Idol! Up until now the gay community has found exactly what it wants in American Idol. All of the contestants are treated equally by the show and their sexuality isn't an issue.

Adam Lambert is gay. Everyone knew, no one cared. Clay Aiken was gay. Everyone knew, no one cared.

This isn't news.

7. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Except gays would vote for them just to show their pride and solidarity not talent. Don't try to lecture me that I'm wrong because I have gay friends who do this all the time.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Oh, okay. :rolleyes:

9. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Agree. My husband does it.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Good for him. Still not news.

Also, you seem to forget that the AI crowd is a relatively conservative group.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Odd, my gay friends wouldn't be caught dead watching AI because it's, well, gay. :D

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I don't have a problem with it but aren't you perpetuating the whole "gay" as a pejorative thing?

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

One could look at it that way. Was just a joke, in poor taste, but just a joke.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I ain't mad

15. dec. Suspended

dec.

What??! I thought these shows were all about the best singing technique and musicianship?11?!! I'm very disappoint.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Whatever gets the most ratings you can believe will be set before us.