American iPhone 4 AT&T to Softbank in Japan

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TWS38, Jan 8, 2011.

1. TWS38 macrumors newbie

I am currently using an iPhone 4 in the US on the AT&T network. However, I might possibly be moving to Japan soon. It was my assumption that if I unlock the phone I should be able to enter into a contract with Softbank and use my iPhone in Japan. However, during my short trip to Japan, I stopped by a Softbank store and asked this question to which the answer was no. It did not seem like the person knew too much as she was not able to answer a different question that I had, but is she correct in that I would not be able to use this iPhone that I purchased in the States? If there is a way, would you be so kind as to explain how I might be able to do so? Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

All US iphones are locked to AT&T and will not work with other GSM carriers.
    You can JB and unlock it if you're on 4.0.2 or below. If higher there is no unlock.
    I'd suggest you sell your iphone here in the US and purchase one in Japan or any other country that sells factory unlocked iphones so you dont have any problems in the future switching sims back and forth.

3. TWS38 thread starter macrumors newbie

So is it impossible for me to enter into a contract with Softbank with an iPhone 4 that has an AT&T contract right now?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pretty much. The US iPhone 4 won't work or recognize the softbank sim.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

yup do as Applejuiced suggest it's the best option AT&T will not allow it to be unlocked trust us. selling your old phone and buying a new one is the way to go. plus Japan has it's own selection of phones some that are really nice shop around you might find one you like better. but get a phone factory unlocked or locked to your local carrier. Unlocked is best