American jobs: Trump to approve Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines...today!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 24, 2017.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

America First!

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the real Americans won't be first.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thank god we are building another pointless pipeline.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

How many people died in that oil spill (of which 170,000 liters has already been recovered) -vs- how many died in the Quebec oil train crash?

Pipelines are much safer.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, nobody gives a **** about cancers resulting in oil spills into water supplies. Those people can just **** themselves if they don't die in a fiery fashion (the only deaths that actually matter apparently).

Really? There's NOTHING safe about putting a pipeline over one of the three largest water aquifers (that supplies the middle third of the nation) in the country. Think a little.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

America first is why we want to make it easier for Canada to sell their oil to the rest of the world instead of us?

8. macmee Suspended

macmee

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am NOT an expert on pipelines, and I haven't investigated the keystone and dakota access pipelines enough to judge, but I don't get the meaning of linking such article. An accident happened, a bad one; I get that.
    But should we stop stuff any time an accident happens? Should we ban cars? Should we ban planes? Should we ban space travel?

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I think you mean Canada First!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2017 ---
    Definitely not. I think we all know someone we'd like to launch into space ;)

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I will have to wait until the payload is equivalent to a mid-sized town...

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Look into it. Pipelines have been empirically shown to be quite unsafe. There is a reason oil pipelines are never run through well-off rich white neighborhoods.

The truth is there is no safe way to transport oil. Trains crash, boats leak. They're all various shades of bad.

The only safe thing is to work towards ending our dependence on oil, rather than expanding it. By building yet another pipeline, it is saying we are ok with adding to the amount of oil we consume daily. We should be going the other way, and reducing the amount of oil we consume daily.
    Moving large quantities of oil, no matter the means, is unsafe. Why not just burn it where it is and send the energy over wires? Much safer.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

While I certainly I don't disagree that we should work towards ending our dependence on oil, we still have to work with what we have until a feasible, long term solution is in place.
    But again, not an expert; I am out of my league here by my own admission.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Oil profits first.

People ... a distant second.

15. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Every silver lining has a cloud, eh? American jobs = long faces for liberals.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yeah. Liberals hate jobs. :rolleyes:

17. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

If you want to end dependance on oil at some point you have to actually take action. Trump is proving he doesn't give a **** about long term.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Do you realize how many wires, poles, transformers etc. would be needed to transfer power from let's say Egypt to Greece? That would be an ecological disaster.

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines go to Egypt and Greece?!?! Quick, someone call Donny because he things there are American pipelines.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It was an example. I thought you could figure it out. Transporting energy through wires would be an ecological disaster, and I am also pretty sure that much energy would be dissipated (some expert might fill in here) causing the need to burn more oil than needed.

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Look, Trump wants to end inefficient government spending, so he issues a hiring freeze. This is a reasonable approach to ending a problem.

You can't on one hand say you want to end depending on oil while at the same time building more pipelines. That would be like trying to end inefficient government spending by hiring more redundant government employees.

Let's work with the pipelines we have, not build more, while instead spend building resources on a more long term solution. Everything is feasible once you have a plan, and nothing is feasible if you keep insisting on doing things the old way.
    Transmission of AC electricity over wires is actually very efficient, 95+% efficiency over very long distances. THe inefficiency is a drop in the bucket compared to the general inefficiencies of burning oil to move oil. Source: The PHD in electrical engineering that is sitting next to me right now.

22. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

As I said, I am not an expert and I don't know the solution to this specific problem. I honestly haven't an idea. I know that for now we have to work with oil. Strategically, we have to get rid of it. As the tactics of doing it, I don't think that reducing oil availability right now is the key, especially with a broken infrastructure and nothing in sight that can replace it quickly in an efficient manner. You can't risk hyperinflation as that would completely halt the need for research and infrastructure.
    Thanks to your PhD friend.
    How much infrastructure would we have to build in order to carry the same level of energy that carrying oil would produce?

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

25. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Wasn't sure if you would be willing to go or not. :p