American Man lives Homeless in London Apple Store

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AdaminOz, Jul 10, 2014.

1. AdaminOz macrumors member

AdaminOz

I am from Melbourne and I was recently told there's this guy who is homeless in London and seems to travel a lot by living in the Apple Store and first class seats on intercontinental planes. How does he do it? I think he's American. Anyone in London who knows this guy please help me out here.

It's not what you think. He was a normal person who went to a private school (they call them prep schools) and university and had a career in advertising before giving it all up. Now he lives in like first class chairs on aircraft and in airport lounges and first class trains and the London Regent Street Apple Store. Unbelievable but it sounded like something for me. How can I do something like this? What steps would I take to make this happen? How does he actually do it? My mate told me he spent some time here in Melbourne and actually gave a lecture in Collins Street and was wearing like a thousand dollar suit or something. I haven't met him but I want to know how I can do this in Melbourne or Australia. If I have to go to Sydney or even London to do it I ill.

He's called the Hobo Prep. If you search for "tumbler and hoboprep and MATHP" (More About the Hobo Prep) you will see the article and the guy I am talking about. My mate said his name but I forgot it. I am amazed!

Can someone go to the Regent Street store and tell him I want to know how to do this? He spends a lot of time there in the store in the "seats" (they have seats or a lecture room in the Apple Stores there?). This is a direct quote from his site.

Help me do this!!! I'm a University of Melbourne architecture student. I would love to know more! Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sadly, there is no hope for our next generation

3. AdaminOz, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014

AdaminOz thread starter macrumors member

AdaminOz

I can see why you would write that. However, it's not my intention to copy him to the letter, but merely to see how he has done it and work out what's behind it all.

Someone in London must know about this Apple store.

This is the guy : http://hoboprep.tumblr.com/post/71911548966/mathpa

4. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

5. AdaminOz thread starter macrumors member

AdaminOz

It's real all right. My friend met him when he was in Australia. Interesting guy. I've found him on Reddit. http://pay.reddit.com/r/london/comments/2aesdq/homeless_man_lives_in_regent_street_apple_store/

I'm interested in just who would buy him the gear. I mean, a Macbook Pro Retina, 16 GB Ram? That's like 4k AUD. And the harem. I had a friend from France who lived in Melbourne a few years ago and a lot of women here would take him out and buy him clothing and even take him home, so it's plausible.

What I want to know is about the seating areas in London's Regent Street store. Where could you just hang out all day and take your bag with you?

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Sorry but I call BS on this. First all Apple stores have security in London and it would not be allowed. Secondly I live in London have been in both the Regent street store and the Covent garden store very recently and have never heard of him. In addition the article you linked to is not a News article but a forum and if you read his post it is pretty obvious he is a troll. This would certainly have been in the news if real.

There are many people mostly Young people that seem to spend their lives in coffee shops in London with their MacBook Pro's. However, this is a much more comfortable environment than an Apple store.

7. AdaminOz thread starter macrumors member

AdaminOz

You live in London? Lucky man. You can go and see him. I received a PM from him on Reddit

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Why would a member that registered the other day ever post BS threads? This is totally legit guys.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

You're assuming "Homeless" means "poor". Not so.

I've worked with several highly-paid consultants who were "homeless". They'd get 6-12 month gigs wherever and have the customer pay for a nice hotel. First class air travel and top-notch restaurants too - all while being "homeless". It's not that difficult.

10. AdaminOz thread starter macrumors member

AdaminOz

Exactly! I can see now. He isn't a typical homeless guy but I still wonder how he can do it. You need miles on your credit card to get access to the lounges, so how does he survive? I will ask him.

He says that he spends 7 hours in the Apple Store which is amazing because I have spent 2 hours in the Apple Store using the computers and waiting for family to show up and meet me.

Can someone post a photo of the inside of the Apple Store in London with the "seminar room which is at the back of the store"? How big is it? Wouldn't they just come in and say "Seminar's over Hobo, time to take your trolley elsewhere!".?

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There was Paul Erdős, one of the greatest mathematicians of the 20th century, who had all his possessions in a suitcase and travelled from conference to conference, usually staying with some other mathematician.

On the other hand, I'd trust a Londoner more about what's going on in London than someone from Melbourne.

12. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Muahahaha.

You received a PM from a person on teh intarwebs ?

He must be real then.

-t

----------

Miles on your credit card ?

You obviously have no clue how access to the Airline Lounges works.

Also, most Airline Lounges are closed during the night.
    And you only get access with a valid ticket for air travel that day. It's not like a "free hotel" that you can just check in and out.

Again, this is just trolling.

-t

13. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

14. AdaminOz thread starter macrumors member

AdaminOz

Right! "Up in the Air" and he lives in the cheap motels paid for by his company but Hobo isn't employed.

Are the airport lounges closed at night? But he says that he uses them when he returns from his flights so I guess he must sleep in them during the day? He says on Reddit

My question is - HOW DO I DO THIS? :eek::D:cool: It' SO COOL!

----------

Please someone! Can you do this?

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

How do you do what?
    1. Post BS on the internet?
    2. Believe BS on the internet?

I rather think you've mastered #2. Sorry.

If you want to learn how to do #1, just go to the PRSI forum here and watch the masters at work! You'll pick it up fast. We all do! :)

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Even if this is real, why would you want to live this way? Are there people so rich that having a responsible life is just not for them? I don't think I'm on the level to understand the allure of this at all.

I'm grateful for my bed. My car. My job. My boring ordinary life. I could not be a dayfly or night traveler.

17. AdaminOz thread starter macrumors member

AdaminOz

What is PRSI?

WHY do this? Because I want to. I want to know how it can be done. Surely I can do this. I am an architecture student and I could spend all day in the Apple Store and travelling. There are no architecture jobs for all of us students, so why not?

Could someone here from London please post a photograph of the seminar room in London? I want to know where I can find the Hobo. Thanks! :apple:

18. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I can see why someone would want to travel all day, to see the world.

But all day in an Apple store? Come on....

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

according to the links you've posted, he says he works.....so if there are no jobs in your field, then you're out of luck. He mentions employers paying his plane fares and "small design jobs"....it all sounds like somebody's online fantasy though

20. AdaminOz thread starter macrumors member

AdaminOz

I think it's feasible. Think of it as a Starbucks with Apple products everywhere, and bring your own coffee. People in Asia sit in a Starbucks for 10-12 hours on a single coffee, so maybe I should do this in Asia?

It is my online fantasy to do this but this guy is very real. He was here in Melbourne and a friend met him and heard him give a lecture. He's sent me messages on Reddit and apparently is being interviewed by your newspapers over there in London, so it must be true.

I know some architects who do freelance jobs here and there but if he was an advertising professional then it would be even easier, wouldn't it? Those guys get paid to do nothing except dream up little things that are produced and published.

I want to know where I can find the Hobo in the store. Could someone post a photo of the seminar room in London's Apple Store? Thanks!

21. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Not to totally crush your fantasy, but you do realize that people can impersonate just about anyone on the internet?

Seems fairly simple. Make a bunch of contacts who will pay for your stuff, then sell your house and live at an Apple store.

From his website
    I Don't Know About You, But When I See Posts Written With Every Other Word Capitalized It Usually Is A Pointer That All Is Not As It Seems.

22. puma1552 macrumors 601

What? No they don't, I lived in Asia and this just isn't true.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

sitting in starbucks for 10-12 hours a day seems like a pretty dull way to live.........but you don't have to leave home to try such a lifestyle; you can sit in your local starbucks for 10-12 hours a day and see how adventurous it is.

Note that he says he works; having had a six figure job he had time to build up client contacts that now provide him work. He's not a "fresh out of school - no experience" type. He says client companies buy those airplane tickets and that he gets by with "Support Of My Harem, Followers and Friends"......in other words, he mooches off them. :p

All that's if you believe it.

24. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Do you believe everything that's posted on the internet ?

-t

25. AdaminOz thread starter macrumors member

AdaminOz

They do. And they do it when they leave Asia. It was front page of the New York Times only a few weeks ago and we are not talking about a $5.99 latte with the works, we are talking about cheap McDonald's dollar coffee. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/n...lds-for-the-right-to-sit-and-sit-and-sit.html

----------

I'm determined to do it, and I think it's entirely feasible because if he can do it then so can I. He built up contacts. So can I. I am in Melbourne, which is the best city in the world below the Equator. I will get my own harem, because I am 6'0" tall and good looking, and I would be even younger. I could sit in a Starbucks but the Apple Store would be better. There must be comfortable chairs there. What I will have difficulty with is flying everywhere because that sounds expensive. Also, how did he find a "kind benefactor" to buy him a hugely expensive MBPr? Does London have this culture of generosity and charity to people down and out?

Please, someone post a photo of the seminar room in the London Apple Store. Thanks!