American Students Kicked Off American HS Campus for Wearing American Flag T-Shirts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, May 6, 2010.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

Are people really bothered by the sight of an American flag? Good grief. :rolleyes:

3. blinkie macrumors regular

Who are you trying to challenge? And why bother?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who would try to justify it? It's stupid. Why do you think anyone here would defend this?

5. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Apparently not

Apparently not the Huffington Post (SHOCKING I know). I could not find any reference to the story anywhere on the site. They did not even deem it news worthy, yet on their front page I see stories about

"Kim Kardashian's Ex: She Is A Plastic Surgery-Loving 'Fame Whore' "
    "Republicans and Teabaggers Finally Embrace Big Government"
    "Jennifer Aniston Put On Baby Food Diet By Tracy Anderson... "
    "Phoenix 'Los Suns' Playoff Jerseys To Protest Arizona Immigration Law"
    "PHOTOS: Michelle Obama WOWS At Cinco De Mayo Celebration"

I never thought I could laugh, cry, and herniate simultaneously.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't read the Huffington Post either. Why do you? What is the point of this?

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It is, of course, silly that they got into trouble for merely wearing the shirts. It does sound like they intentionally planned their statement of "American pride" to coincide with "Mexican-American" day. If they accompanied their pride with disparaging attitudes, I can understand them getting into trouble.

Excessive nationalism is bad. We should celebrate our differences and similarities happily without trying to pit one "side" against another.

8. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I think the students were looking for some trouble/attention and wearing those 'merican clothes on purpose was an act of defiance. How would I know? Cuz I would've done this as well to cause a little bit of a tussle with school leaders, cuz I'm oh-so rebellious (at least I was). If my high school did that, I would've done it for defiance and not so much the principle.

But rebellion aside, banning the American flag on Cinco de Mayo is ridiculous. It's like telling mexicans they can't wear mexican flag clothing on the 4th of July. I think it would've been better to encourage students to wear mexican flag clothing and not so much completely ban the other. stupid stupid stupid. Tell kids to not do one thing and they'll do it. Don't teachers know this by now?

9. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

^^ This.

I read this article this morning, and felt exactly the same way. Yes, these kids constitutional rights are being bended here, but the only reasons these TEENS wore those shirts on 5/5 was to start problems and get attention. I bet they could care less about their country and it's pride.

That being said, I think the kids get the edge over the school in this one, just because the school handled it so poorly.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Based on what's in the article, it sounds like the school administration made a really stupid move here. Unless the student's attire violated some kind of established dress code, they should be allowed to express their patriotism.

However, I'll probably come back and comment again, as I just happen to know someone who works at that particular school. I'll see if there's more to this story than made it into the news article.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

American flag bandanas?

What are the chances that the students were purposely wearing these just to make an in-your-face political statement?

I'd say the chances were pretty good.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

So on the 4th of July, I can go to Mexico and demand they remove all Mexican flags for the day? Thought not.

Here is a link to the local story (includes video). What it says that the OP's article does not is that at least two of the students involved are part Mexican.

What I don't get is why it's seeming acceptable to celebrate anyone else's culture but our own.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm not saying it shouldn't be celebrated, but what is "American" culture? Whatever it may or may not be, by virtue of being in the USA, are we not steeped in it daily?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That sounds a lot like people complaining about gay displays of affection while they ignore that we're soaking in hetero displays 24/7.

Don't worry.

American culture is alive, well and celebrated. You're just so used to it that you don't see it anymore.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'll justify it. Schools have the right to control speach of students in ways that may not be Constitutional if the government attempted to control that speach by you or I. In other words, schools have more rights to restrict speach of students clothing, speach, and actions than the government has on you or I.

So, a school may restrict clothing so long as those restrictions are reasonable in certain ways. Here, the school offered the students an opportunity to change their dress so as to avoid problems within the school. The students chose not to do as requested, and as a result, they were suspended.

The school had every right to do what it did.

In other news, the only Indian kid in his class showed up for school in a t-shirt bearing a picture of a white cowboy being scalped. The school was not allowed to send that child home.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What do you call President's Day, the 4th of July, Martin Luther King Day, Thanksgiving, etc.?

Those are not celebrations of American culture?

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Since when is an indian scalping a white cowboy and wearing the flag of your nation even anywhere remotely close to parallel? I think all public funding should be cut to this school.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You are exactly what is wrong with american political discussion. Your attempt here at a baited culture wars thread replete with a second bite of the cherry with a huffpo link is utterly pathetic. And it has absolutely failed. Nobody is going to defend these students getting sent home. It's absolutely indefensible. Just as nobody is going to come rallying to the defense of the huffpo.

The problem is that you're so partisan that you think everyone is like you. The fact is the rest of the world (including most posters here) can call a spade a spade and criticise stupid decisions like these irrespective of whether they perceive it is their "team". Nobody has allegiances to huffpo like people do fox news.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if there's much more to the story than is being related in the article.

Individuality is the last thing patriotism is.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Unless you disagree with years and years of judicial precedent, they are identical. Neither student's clothing is "appropriate" or may cause problems in teh same way, and if a school asked either student to go home and change, the school would be within constitutional guidelines.

(By the way, I love that I'm actually debating ZA and he's taking the liberal point of view)

20. Shivetya macrumors 65816

What if they were? I bet the school does not bat an eye when other groups do it for similar reasons.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There may be a problem with the argument when they are allowing many kids to wear mexican flags on their shirts and then suspending kids who wear American ones. Under their own guidelines:

“The school has the right to request that any student dressing inappropriately for school will change into other clothes, be sent home to change, and/or be subject to disciplinary action.”

Its going to be a hard sell that allowing one kid to express his freedom of expression through a flag of their ancestors nation and then restricting all others.

I imagine if this story were turned around and they sent kids with mexican flag t-shirts home ACLU would be burning the school down though.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So I'm hearing that these patriots were also chanting things like "we live in America" at the Mexican kids celebrating five de may.

Still doesn't make the way the administration handled this right, but it's starting to sound like everyone involved acted poorly, not just the administration.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Right- because the school obviously "hates America". :rolleyes:

Look- they made a stupid decision, one I doubt they'll repeat.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I dunno.....I mean doesn't the same happen with war protesters on soldiers funerals? Yet they are permitted

Of course it is about the timing

The United States is not Mexico so why kids were sent home is byond me

However, I also have the mindset that the flag should NOT be worn/modified into clothing and only displayed as a flag in the traditional manner out of respect

25. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The irony of this story kills me. Cinco de Mayo is more an American holiday than a Mexican one. And if you want to stretch it to be a holiday celebrating Mexican-American heritage, then that is definitely only celebrated in the US.