American teenager admits murdering carabiniere in Rome

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jul 27, 2019.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

3. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

It looks like these kids were looking for trouble, and found a little more than they wanted.

Reading the story, it seems kind of fishy. Perhaps something was lost in translation.

It sounds like to me that the drug dealer called the carabiniere for back up.

4. raqball macrumors 68000

The drug dealer (aspirin in reality) had his backpack stolen by the kids. He arranged to meet them and probably promised to give them real product or their money back for the return of his backpack. After setting the meeting up he called the police.

I assume he was wanting the police to assist in getting his backpack returned and the kids arrested for stealing it.. No clue is selling a substance under the false pretense that is an illicit narcotic is illegal in Italy..

Many States in the US have laws against it and 18 USC § 1001 would cover such under Federal code...

5. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I doubt the backpack owner told the cops he was selling drugs. Unless the owner was a known dealer, that attribution could have only come from the kids. More facts are needed.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

Who said he did?

Also you give criminals way too much credit in thinking they would not tell the police they were selling fake drugs and got robbed.....

7. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

"According to media reports, the students – both 19 and on a study holiday in Rome – had gone to nightlife zone Trastevere in search of cocaine"

Doesn't make sense. Just tell the cops some kid robbed him of his backpack and the chase is on.

What's missing from the story is who told "media" that he was a pusher. It doesn't really matter as the kids are charged with murder.

8. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Something’s lost in translation. And I can’t rule out under the table BS being involved. Hope there’s enough surveillance video and hard evidence in play for justice to prevail.

9. giggles macrumors 6502

8 stabs to kill a newlywed 35yo Carabinieri officer

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/italy-detains-americans-19-slaying-policeman-64602777

huge commotion in the country, as it’s not a regular occurrence to die in the streets in a police interaction (whether you are the officer or the suspect).

The officer was also particularly beloved in the neighborhood and in his spare time he engaged in community activities for the poor on a weekly basis.

His funeral will be held next Monday in the same church where his marriage was celebrated a mere 44 days before.

In the first couple of hours after the murder there were rumors that the killers were “Africans” and immediately Trump-like right wing populist politicians were setting social media on fire, then when it became clear it was Americans the fire rapidly smoldered down to a more barebone “they ought to serve in prison” stance with no mouth frothing, after all “Italian Trump” Salvini and the actual Donald are BFF by virtue of being on the same side politically.

10. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Nothing will happen here, other than a couple of months of a media frenzy. These kids will eventually be acquitted or pardoned by the Italian President once Trump really leans on them by threatening tariffs or withholding aid. I remember Trump squeezing China to release some basketball players a couple of years ago. Even in prior administrations, I remember a girl being let go after being accused/ convicted of murder a decade or so ago.

11. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Amanda Knox? She was acquitted in appeal; no pardon. If anything, a POTUS intervention usually has the opposite effect on the Italian left leaning magistrature as they want to show their independence.

--- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2019 ---
    This is factually incorrect. Salvini is asking for the maximum possible sentence. Actually, he just made a point that in the US they would risk life in prison or actually life itself so Italy shouldn’t be shy in its sentencing of the murderers. The death of a cop and/or a Carabiniere is a big deal in Italy.

12. giggles macrumors 6502

Well since he is no judge nor jury and he’s in the executive branch, his “asking for” is completely inappropriate anyway, a despicable way to make propaganda and fuzzy the borders between the powers of the State.

What I was trying to say is that the name-calling (“a**holes”, “bastards”, as Salvini said in the first couple of hours) was greatly reduced once it became clear they weren’t Africans, a lot less mouth frothing from right wing populists in general (not focusing only on Salvini).

13. stylinexpat, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019

stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I don’t think these people who commit such crimes even bother to think about how the rest of their lives will end up over harming others. Life in prison or solitary confinement is as bad as it gets. 24/7 looking at walls for the rest of one’s life is pretty much a self applied death sentence. It’s much easier to just forget about something and move on. In the outside world one can move on but inside a prison there is no moving on.

Will Trump send out a Tweet and vouch for them..?

14. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

What kind of bubble you're used to live in if going on holidays in a foreign country with daddy's money means carrying a knife to stab whoever gives you trouble (that you were looking for, anyway)

15. raqball macrumors 68000

Murdering a police officer is slightly more heinous than shoplifting.. Well today at least.. But... The more and more the media portrays Law Enforcement as racist grand wizards the more acceptable the murder of them becomes..

In a nutshell: Murder > Shoplifting

16. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

When people are you they tend to get into fights with others and argue more often as well but it one thing to argue or fight with some then to kill someone :eek:.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

They probably bought the knife there.
    Anyways condolences to the officers family

18. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

It has begun. US media published an article calling an image of one of the suspects as "shocking".

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/28/europe/italy-police-killing-americans-arrested-intl/index.html

I can now anticipate an escalating campaign of news about these boys, their high schools, their dogs and what good boys they are; to build sympathy among the US public. There will begin an escalating campaign of pressure on the Italian police emanating from US non-governmental agencies, human rights campaigners, resolutions from senators and congresspeople, Presidential tweets, threats of tariffs, expulsion from NATO, activating the 6th fleet towards Italy etc.. Bottomline - these two will be out of bounds for Italian justice and will be brought home unscathed.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

20. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Salvini and the governing parties keep saying that blindfolding the murderer is not a big deal. I don’t think this will end up in the murderers being released, the murder of a Carabiniere is truly a big event, releasing the idiots could cause the fall of the government.
    According to the official autopsy the Carabiniere was stabbed eleven times.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2019 ---
    The US government through its embassy has to get involved due to the various international treaties.

21. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

From your lips to God's ears...

But I cannot help seeing the pattern setup for a campaign to impugn Italy, the Italian justice system in a goal to get these idiots spirited back to the US.

22. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I am sure there will be a campaign, but with a semi-nationalist government and nationalist feelings at a record high, I expect it to fail.
    As the grandson of a proud Carabiniere this pisses me off to a whole new level.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Not to mention prison in a foreign country where you probably don’t speak the language. I suppose Italian is easier to learn than Japanese.

The CNN article I read said that only one of the young men stabbed the officer. So I imagine one should have a lesser sentence.

The Italian police and Judicial system have a moderate risk of corruption. The Amanda Knox incident certainly won’t bode well for US perceptions. That said, if these guys are indeed guilty they deserve what they have coming.

24. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

They confessed. Knowing the Italian system the trial will likely take 10 years...

25. Zenithal macrumors G3

They do need to sell enough ice lollies to pay for it all.