American traveling to UK: What's the Best SIM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by WoodrowCall, May 10, 2011.

1. WoodrowCall, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I'll be traveling to Scotland and England for a couple of weeks during June. I've researched AT&T's exorbitant international charges and I'm ready to jailbreak and unlock my AT&T iPhone 4 to use while I'm there. My question is, what carrier should I use? I looked up Orange and saw their micro SIM for 25.00, but I don't have any experience with this? Can anyone tell me if this would work? Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, I'm still looking and noticed that the SIM I was looking at was for a monthly plan, not prepaid. Let me specify that I mean prepaid, since I won't be staying there :)

2. alangrehan macrumors regular

I think you're looking for somehting along these lines.

http://www.0044.co.uk/uk.htm

You might have to cut the sim to size though. I've done this and it works fine.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It's best to research the rates. You can go to the repective sites for info about pay as you go. Depending on the carrier, you should also be able to get data.
    You may need to purchase a SIM cutter, if you don't feel comfortable cutting it manually.

BTW, you do have either a factory unlocked or jb/unlocked phone, right?

4. dehory macrumors regular

I was in the UK last summer and used GiffGaff. I'm not sure what the price plans are now, but based on my experience, I unreservedly recommend it -- super cheap, good service, fast 3G data, and terrific community support to boot. If only the US had prepaid plans half as good...

Oh, and you can have a GiffGaff forum member send you a pre-cut Micro-SIM for free. (Junkiepilot's affiliate link will get you a standard SIM.)

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

6. bladerunner88 macrumors member

O2 Worked for me

Hi was just in London couple of months back,walked into an 02 Store and it couldn't have been easier to pu a Pay as you go card. Paid for the minutes and text bundle, inserted sim in unlocked 1st Gen and voila! No questions no contracts no ID. You seem to get reminders every now and then proclaiming your minutes are low Top Up! But in fact there were many minutes left as a trip to the 02 Web site will confirm.

7. declandio macrumors 6502

If you know roughly what your usage is likely to be, try this site

http://www.billmonitor.com/

8. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

The £25 Orange micro sim is fantastic mate, you can't go wrong with this sim. I have one myself and there 3G signal if fantastic. For £25 you get 250mb of data a month for 1yr.

The O2 sims are ok but in my experience there 3g signal doesn't compare to oranges.

I just saw your edit and Orange do offer a pay as you go sim, which has a one off cost of £25.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You might want to make sure your iPhone 4 is unlockable first before investing in this.

If your baseband is 1.59.00 you can unlock using Ultrasn0w.

10. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll do a little moremresearch and post what I end up with!