American Women Vandalize Rome's Colosseum

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LadyX, Mar 10, 2015.

1. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I've just read this and I'm really shocked! The Colosseum is considered one of the greatest works of architecture and engineering, so what did they decide to do? Carve their initials and on top of that, they took a selfie!

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

3. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

American Women Vandalize Rome's Colosseum

I forgot to post the link so thank you for doing that. This is the first time I hear of someone vandalizing a landmark. I mean why would you carve your initials on an almost 2,000 year old historical structure?? There are English and Italian signs all around the Colosseum warning tourists against defacing the landmark. So I don't know what they were thinking.

----------

From Daily Mail:

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

"we did not imagine it was something so serious"

I'm awestruck...far to much empty space between their ears.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The authorities should throw them in jail for at least a year and then post a picture of them in jail alongside the selfie they took.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Should really get some serious jail time for this like 5 years IMO.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The first time?

You'd better get used to it, it's a pretty common occurrence.

Just within the past week there was a news story about fundamentalist Muslims destroying museum artifacts and historic sites.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

There were reports in photography circles of a woman going around to historic park land in the United States, painting her initials on rock formations and taking a selfie of it.

9. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Oh gosh, yes, of course! How did I forget.

Unbelievable.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

11. Roric macrumors regular

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

Again, I'm always a little bit conused what to think.

Whilst I think that graffitti, generally isn't too big a deal, and actually with regard to historical context is very important in clues for archeology, doing it on something this historically valuable as a part of contemporary trash culture is pretty abhorrent.

I don't think jail time will do them any good, but they should be forced to pay a whopping fine that will pay to fill what they've done, and go toward the upkeep of the place.

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I would also think something along the lines of fine and labor to keep the place clean, and to possible speak in front of others on the importance of not doing this. Make them clean up the area, pick up trash, scrub walls, etc. Nothing like a little elbow grease! :D

14. vrDrew, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Not to excuse what is essentially criminal vandalism, but human beings have been doing stuff like this since the dawn of time. Ever since the first caveman (or woman) daubed mud or blood or feces on the wall of whatever rock or cliff they happened upon.

It is essentially human nature to wish to leave one's mark on the world. And the distinction between what is art - and what is vandalism - is arbitrary, at best. (Just ask the owners of buildings with a Banksy work on them.)

Our present sensibilities regarding historical monuments are comparatively recent. Napoleon Bonaparte thought nothing of dragging Egyptian monuments back to Paris; and British diplomats freely looted the art treasures of ancient Greece. I myself can remember, as a child, wandering through Stonehenge, where - at the time one could freely reach out and touch the ancient stones.

Archaeologists will tell you that we learn much more of the ancient world by studying the garbage and graffiti of the original residents than we do through any surviving official accounts - which tend to be colored by the lies and half-truths of hindsight.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

Well I don't think thats practical..... they're tourists.

Plus the costs of having someone with some authority to keep and eye on them would be more expensive than the duties they'd complete ;)

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I also thought that their tourist status changed how the law might deal with them, favoring fines over jail or service.

However, it struck me that this could be an opportunity for international law to step in, where vandalizing a World Heritage site would be a crime that follows a person back to their country (or the country most fit) and punishment could be applied there. This would allow community service (or the like) to be meted out more easily.

17. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

I know. How could they possibly think it not being a big deal? I don't understand.

What the heck??! :eek:

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Some people are really stupid. I hope they get a really big fine, get deported and banned from ever coming back to the EU. I'm not sure if the law there allows for that though.

19. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Would it be too draconian to just ship them to Thailand and cane them?

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I am shocked! Because, usually, in my experience, it is men who have been drinking. I guess I am old-fashioned.

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I suggest the fine be the greater of $10,000 or 5% of their annual income AND deportation (for tourist) or detention (for residents). I believe, like Napoleon, that a punishment should harsh in order to instruct and deter. A fixed fine would hardly be a deterrent to most rich bastard.

23. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

'Muricans. You can dress us up but you can't take us anywhere.:(

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

honestly think this is an overreaction, but i guess that shows my morals

25. aaronvan, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Destroyed works of art generate more righteous outrage than decapitated reporters or gays thrown from roof tops.