Americans, have you voted already?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

California has mail in voting. I received my ballot today, ticked the appropriate boxes and mailed it in.

Anyone in the state can apply to become a permanent vote by mail voter.

I know that Oregon has only a vote by mail system and I believe that Thomas Veil said that he already voted in Ohio. Any other states have a vote by mail system? Do you like it? Have you encountered any problems?

Vote by mail is great and I think it should be expanded. However, it does pose a problem for college students, transients (both the homeless variety and those who simply move around a lot) and this year especially to those who've lost their homes. For those of us who are less mobile, it's a fantastic idea.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Actually, it's great for college students. You can maintain your residence at home, while having the ballot sent directly to your college residence. Very convenient.

Generally I'm against absentee voting without reason, because it's a greater financial burden than voting at polling locations. However, that's not possible for me this go 'round, so that reminds me... I need to mail my absentee voting request form. :eek:

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I haven't yet. I plan on going during early voting that starts on October 20th here in Colorado. I normally go to the poll and vote, but I am working at a different precinct, so I'm voting early.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm expecting my ballot in the mail any day now. I had to re-register because they changed the street address of my house, despite me not moving.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I always pre-poll when we have an election (Federal, State, Local, whatever) because I hate having to line up on election day.

It's compulsory to turn up to the polling booth (wherever you happen to be) and be marked off the electoral roll. You don't have to actually cast a vote but you may as well.

I like the system, means that whoever wins actually has a mandate to lead.

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Interesting that most would like to avoid the polls. How many poll locations are used, are they sparse and centrally located, or are there many small locations throughout an area?

My polling booth (for the Canadian election) is actually located in the building I live in, and I know there's another location within two blocks as last election I was living only two blocks from here. I chose not to vote early this year because I want to show up to the polls in my pajamas with my hair in a towel and a toothbrush sticking out of my mouth.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

In Australia they are freaking everywhere. Schools, community halls, churches etc etc. Mail voting is really easy which is good. Although unlike humbug Chundles I love turning up to vote in person ;).

Usually the local schools have fairs on that day and sell cakes and handicrafts. It's got a good community vibe. At our last local election the local school had a fire-engine there for kids to climb all over as well as a jumping castle and face painting. I wasn't allowed on the jumping castle (apparently it was only for kids :rolleyes:) but I did get to sit in the driver's seat of the fire engine after I voted.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, Missouri doesn't have early voting, just absentee, which, having done it while in college, is a pain in the ass since you have to get the ballot notarized. I'll be voting at my usual polling place on election day

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

We should hang out.

10. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Wow, that sucks.

I'm continually amazed that so many states view voters as though they were criminals.

The envelope my ballot goes in is pre-printed with my name and address as well as a numerical code. I also have to sign the back of the envelope and print my address.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Polling stations are based on precincts, and there is (at least in California) a maximum number of people who can be assigned to one specific polling place (I'm not sure on the exact number, but it's rather low, as in my parents neighborhood, there are two polling stations within a five-minute walk from each other, and it's a residential area).

As for the thread's primary question, I haven't voted yet. It's not that mind isn't made up (because it is), rather I enjoy the "going to vote" experience :p. I usually go in the morning when there are fewer people (and since I vote every time, most elections have virtually no crowds anyway).

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We don't have early voting in NY.

I just moved and have re-registered but don't know where my polling place is. :eek:

13. pooky macrumors 6502

In California. Plan to vote early, but I have to decipher the propositions first.

Whenever I get propositioned, I know I'm about to get screwed...

14. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Just got my ballot at school here in PA from VA. I'm sending it in tomorrow and I'm so happy to be voting in my first election!

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Generally the polling booths here are in public schools, community halls, town halls etc. The pre-polling booth is in an empty space in a building next to the bottle shop - means I can go and vote and pick up some beer for the rest of the morning. Very handy indeed.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I did indeed. I cast my ballot yesterday, in person.

I'm in Ohio, where you can walk into the county Election Board, sign an absentee application, and walk right up to a voting machine and vote for your guy.

I'll tell you, when I went yesterday, it was busy. Not just young people registering, either. Middle-aged and older folks as well.

BTW, my wife voted for Obama too.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I like going in person. Last time it was in an auditorium down the street. The one before that was in a church. Not sure where the next one is, haven't looked yet, but I'm sure it's close.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am in the process of getting the mail in ballet in my state. I found out to late my voter registration was screwed up and is for the wrong county (300 miles from where I currently live)

I figure out it was wrong day after I last day I could of moved it. I want to vote so I will have to mail it in..... but already have the ground work ready to go to move the location of where I am going registered to vote.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Tehehe, beer and voting-a true winner! :D

Seriously, they use schools, firehouses, churches, etc here too. A lot of people donate the use of their garage also (I volunteered as poll worker once, and the woman who owned the house was kind enough to bake us cookies throughout the whole day! :D).

20. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I've got about 12 days before early voting starts, and I'll probably find an hour or so on a Saturday to run out and vote. Of course living in TX, it's probably not going to make a lick of difference who I vote for, but at least I can feel like I tried.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I could vote early, but I like voting in person. It makes it seem more "official", I guess.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That's one nice thing about the early voting in TX, and some other states. I get to go into a polling place and cast my vote on a Diebold just like I would on November 4th without the long lines and skipping work since I can do it on a Saturday. Nothing absentee about it.

Of course whether or not the Diebold accurately counts my vote is another matter, but I can at least pretend I voted.

23. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The law in Illinois is that first time voters must vote in person. Since I am living in California from May-December this year I can't vote in person, so I can't vote at all. :mad:

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I changed my address on my registration last week because I moved. I'm all set and I'll be voting on voting day.

25. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I'm in California. I haven't voted yet; I'll be doing it on election day. I like the official feel of that too. And I have to be there anyway since I run my local precinct.

We have our precinct in an elementary school auditorium a block and a half from my home. And there are about four more within a five minute walk. I'm in Long Beach, which (for our international friends) is a medium sized port city on the southern border of Los Angeles County. Urban, very diverse, and liberal, in American terms. ;)

LA County does have early voting in person, but it's only in the county registrar building, I believe.

As for absentee ballots, I voted absentee all through college, which was great. Massachusetts didn't require notarization, just a signature from a witness.