Americans, look out for your ass!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJohnHenry, May 21, 2012.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I just heard this on the radio, and I didn't believe it.

Now I do.

http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/23906.aspx

This is so far beyond brilliant, I can scarcely believe it.

Of course a Sigmoidoscopy only looks at the Sigmoid colon, which is, wait for it, about 21% of the entire large intestine.

My cancer was in the ascending colon, and I would be dead today if I bought into this 'technique' for saving money.

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Agreed 100%. Get the whole colonoscopy. Perhaps not as pleasant nor as cheap, but it is the gold standard of diagnosis. A sigmoidoscopy is the diet Coke of diagnosis. My father would be dead as well as his colon cancer would not have been diagnosed with a sigmoidoscopy either.

3. Huntn, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When my doctor was suggesting sigmoids, he also included stool samples, and something else, I forget. Last Summer I got my first colonoscopy. I had a couple of polyps removed and was diagnosed as being on the onset of diverticulitis and am currently scheduling my second colon exploration experience for this Summer. Sure hope I get propofol, the good stuff. ;)

Having a colonoscopy is more pleasant than a sigmoid because they knock you out. For the sigmoid they keep you awake and you get to sense all sorts of unpleasant sensations in your lower anal regions. ;)

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Sorry slip of the pen and brain. I fixed my post.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Most GI facilities will sedate patients for sigmoids if they ask.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

American medicine is garbage. I still have doctors who hand me pain pills for my back instead of letting me get surgery. (Pain pills wont fix if I move wrong and my back goes out again and I can't walk again.)

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It's all about the $

Blame costs, it's way cheaper to do a Sigmoidoscopy ($150-300 out of pocket) than a full Colonoscopy ($800 - $1,200) and most insurance companies would prefer the doctor perform the cheaper one. It is better than nothing and studies like this w/ Sigmoidoscopy procedures is made specifically for insurance companies to order more Sigmoidoscopies than Colonoscopies to your MD, making it harder for MDs' to get Colonoscopies approved by insurance companies.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Every bit of advice I've gotten regarding back surgery (I have degenerative disk disease) is that the solution is all most as bad as the symptom and does not guarantee it will be much better. Maybe you are at the can't-stand-it any longer, constant misery, this is when you should consider back surgery. Sounds like your asking and your Dr is saying no. Get a second opinion! Maybe you've done that too. :)

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Not in the NHS in Scotland. They'll give you a tranquilizer, but they do not want to spend for a proper anesthesiologist... It's one of the few things about which I think the NHS economizes too far. :mad:

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Interesting. I guess the universal protocol differs based by location. Generally speaking, within some areas in the US, doctors are very lax on the prescribing of opiates and sedatives versus other countries (though this seems to be changing)...if anyone is going to say "source?", then look up "oxycontin consumption" or "benzodiazepine consumption" by country.

12. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I recently had a Sigmoid done and they injected me with Versed and Fentanyl. I never asked them for anything (actually i had presumed that I would get something at least). It could have been because my heart rate was a little high from being so nervous lol.

All I remember is waking up in the weirdest/drunkest/highest state of mind in my life. Oh man...:rolleyes:

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you are going to take the time and trouble, next time demand a entire tour of your colon, a colonoscopy. A substantial portion of colon cancer occurs in the upper colon and does not necessarily bleed. This advice could save your life someday...

14. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    You might have to push the doctor, but you can do a colonoscopy without anesthesia, which I would assume lowers the cost. In some countries it's very unusual to be sedated for colonoscopies. I tend to notice a trend of seeing doctors want to knock people out for the things for which it's not necessary and also giving excess pain medications, which from what I've seen, tends to slow recovery. For example, I was not sedated for my wisdom teeth removal and I took no pain medication afterward, and I had no downtime, whereas people who were put out for it seemed to be sick for a week, which I think must have been partially the anesthesia for the procedure and the opiates they took for the following week.

I will definitely push for no anesthesia when I get a colonoscopy. They've tried sedating me before and can't get me to sleep. They've tried several times at an oral surgeon and also my dentist and I had a contra indicatory effect where I became very anxious and had really high blood pressure. Even though I had that reaction, they kept insisting on trying it again with different meds but I had the same result. But it ended up working out in the end without it. Ironically, I have extremely high anxiety and Tourette's, and I would have been the type of person that would not have normally been the best candidate for being awake during wisdom tooth removals, but I ended up doing it. Didn't bother me nearly as much as the trauma of the effects I had when they tried putting me to sleep. My one big worry is that if I ever need "real" surgery they won't be able to put me asleep for it.

15. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Right.

The prep is the worst part anyway. Might just as well go whole-hog. ;)

WTH, got for a 2-4-1, and get a gastroscopy at the same time.

It's not unlike being on a BBQ spit. :p

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What they use on you in the dentist office is not in the same league as what is used at the hospital. My impression is that you could be sedated although I might be wrong.

And I'm not an expert but my impression is that for a colonoscopy, sedation is both safer and quicker for the patient and the doctor, especially with Tourette's, and although apparently they are performed (see article) you may have trouble finding a doctor who agrees to do it. I remember my non-sedated sigmoid as very uncomfortable. I can't really imagine what a full blown colonoscopy would feel like.

In my colonoscopy they used propofol. The anesthesiologist told me that there were two levels of sedation, a mild level which puts you into a dream state where you are still breathing and a deeper level where they put a respirator on the patient. During this procedure I remember the passage of time in a dream state and woke up feeling great.

17. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I'm having pain in my lower left abdomen and no one's been able to figure out what it's from. So my GP referred me to this doc that asked a bunch of questions and suggested I start with a sigmoid because of the area of the pain.

18. Huntn, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't know how old you are. Unless there is family history of polyps/colon cancer they usually don't screen until you are 50. In your case it sounds like they are focused on a particular unknown issue? For general cancer screening, if you are going to have it done imo, you should have them check out the entire colon especially since you have to do the exact same prep.

19. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Good question, and very important, as is family history.

Hard to tell from his Profile, but if he keeps posting at his current rate, he will be allowed an avatar approximately March 17th next year. ;)