Americans, Obesity and Five Guys

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tktaylor1, May 2, 2012.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

LOL that place is well worth it though :D

2. craigd macrumors 6502

Seriously dude, dont eat that ****. Its why so many Americans are FAT.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh because no one in your country is fat. :rolleyes:
    This is a purchase thread, not a "rate my purchase" thread. ;)

4. craigd macrumors 6502

No unfortunately Australia is fast catching up with the US. Its a crying shame that the world is so unhealthy.

Sorry you took offence to the comments. i hope I havent hit a spot.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not at all, I know what makes me fat. ;) FWIW, it isn't 5 Guys. I just hate when people generalize and then attack an entire country when I know that "Americans" as a whole aren't actually all fat.

6. craigd macrumors 6502

Sure I understand. I wasn't out to label "Americans" as fat, for that I apologise. I should have said this is why the world is fat.

Obesity in the Western World I think has reached epidemic proportions, I see young kids knocking back sugary drinks such as red bull, eating high fat high sugar meals like the one in the picture. Its a shame.

I just looked at the calorie content of those meals, pretty much an entire days calorie intake and not to mention the fat content :(

Anyway, be good

7. reubs macrumors 68000

That's crap. The obesity rate for Americans is high because of sugar-infused drinks, processed food, and a low rate of exercise. Eating fresh-cut potatoes fried in peanut oil and a fresh burger with natural ingredients is the least of our problems.

8. hafr macrumors 68030

Does that make the statement that many Americans are fat in any way less true?

He didn't generalize, he said "many Americans", not "Americans". Personally, I just hate when people can't read a post without taking it personal. Many Americans are bad at this.

You didn't, so no need to apologize.

It's not even that, obesity is because people eat more than they need. You could eat nothing but processed foods and soda all your life without ever becoming even the least bit fat, just as you can become morbidly obese by eating nothing but fresh products that you prepare yourself.

Basically, it's about the amount - absolutely nothing else. But for other health reasons than weight, one should be careful with anything "diet", processed foods, diets that exclude this or that macronutrient and so on.

9. balamw, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Americans, Obesity and Five Guys

You didn't get enough gas from the Five Guys?

[​IMG]

:D

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I went to Five Guys recently, and I have to say- yuck. I had heard all this great stuff about the place and...really? What's the big deal?

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No it isn't. Inability to moderate food intake and exercise is why people get fat. I eat hamburgers and fries regularly and I'm a saucy little minx! :D

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I will start off by saying, Five guys is greasy, but as far as I know they use natural ingredients and peanut oil.

Second, Alcohol, chocolate, drugs, cigarettes, masturbation, watching TV, McDonalds, sitting around being lazy are all bad for you if you to it too much.

I wouldn't eat Five Guys (insert gay joke here) 3 times a day, but in moderation why complain about it.

I've Enjoyed Five Guys, three times in my life and will continue in the future. Nothing like a bacon cheeseburger with jalapenos.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The first Five Guys to open in St. Louis closed recently and I understand why. Their burgers are greasy and highly overrated, there are so many other places around here to get good burgers.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And probably cheaper too. I was surprised at how much that place charged for what was essentially a mediocre burger that you could get for far less somewhere else.

16. malman89 macrumors 68000

No, Five Guys is too expensive for the random McPerson to eat regularly. It's still cheap McDonalds and fast food places like it combined with a lack of health education and exercise that is why Americans are fat.

I think their cajun fries are pretty tasty. I rarely have it, though one is down the street. A 'meal' there is so expensive for fast food prices and not really worth the price. At least with McDonalds you know that if you get a $4 meal, you know it can't be good. You'd figure a $10-15 meal would be pretty good, but in fact is not much better.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That too. A burger, fries and a drink was over 10 bucks. That's a lot of money for a fast food burger.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- they ring you up at the register, then you get the food and say to yourself- "Why exactly did I come here again?"

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Someone in this thread must be a shareholder of Five Guys because posts are being downrated for seemingly no reason. Oh well.

Yeah, the first time I went there and the cashier told me the total, I did a double-take. Couldn't believe it was that much.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's a burger (again, just an OK burger), fries and a coke in a fast food atmosphere. It should not be that expensive.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I agree...and if you're going to pay that much for a burger, you should at least be able to have it cooked to order. I can't stomach eating a burger that isn't extremely rare. Here in Houston, we have Beck's Prime and at least they'll cook it exactly how you want it - and it's about the same price as Five Guys.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Red meat should never be well done. It's a crime (not to mention carcinogenic). The closer to raw, the better. It's better for you raw, and you guys know how much I love steak tartare.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Never had Five Guys until maybe a year ago when they opened near me. Real tasty burger and love the cajun fries. Since then, I've been to two other locations and the burgers weren't as good. Went back to original place and burger was still good. I think they have a quality control problem among different locations.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Curiously, the burger is the healthiest and most balanced part of the picture. The huge wad of fries and the large soft drink are excellent for putting on the pounds (kilograms or stones if you prefer). The burger is the best value on the plate, too: the fries and drinks are like minting money for fast food outlets.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You most likely have a point.