"Americans: what have they ever done for us?" - Split

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Mods Note: Split from "Beijing 2008 Olympic Games - Caution, may contain results!"

------

What's with all the America bashing? Is it like Microsoft bashing? Sour grapes and jealousy of that which has the most money? :confused:

Hey, if it wasn't for "Americans doing things different", much of the greatest discoveries and inventions would never have existed...like what you are looking at right now!

While all you other "patriots" of your own country are brainwashed by your culture to "follow the crowd", Americans who are taught to be "individuals" and think out of the box are supporting your lazy a$$ by bringing about the future.

And yeah...there are those who do what everyone else does in America too. They work to support those who do things different and capture the market.

So go ahead and retain your train of thought and accept being a lemming all your life! :cool: Nothing wrong with that, I mean. But even if you are, you have to accept that there are those who lead the way and it's best you don't mock them for doing so.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Which great inventions would these be? Tv? Invented in the UK? Computers? Invented in the UK. The English language itself? Also a UK product

Edit to add, perhaps you mean the World Wide Web? Also invented by a brit, not an American

3. Lau Guest

Robbie, Robbie, Robbie. You aren't thinking differently enough, you brainwashed fool. These aren't useful inventions! You must be thinking of wonders such as the Inside-The-Shell-Egg-Scrambler, Inflatable Headboard, or Laser Scissors. :D

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Probably more like the most debt.

Television, motor cars, movable type, penicillin, the internet, parliamentary democracy, the list of things not invented by Americans goes on and on. Which ones were you thinking of? :confused:

An excellent example of brainwashed thinking. Full marks for irony.

Your analogy is extraordinarily apt, but being a leader of lemmings is not a role anybody in their right mind would aspire to.

6. calculus Guest

calculus

We pretty much invented America come to think of it...

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

But we're not proud of it are we?

I think we should blame the Vikings or whoever it was that really got there first :D

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

nah, the vikings got there, promptly got they arses soundly kicked by the local native tribes, left, and never came back because it was "too dangerous".

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

one of the few things more annoying than american flexing their virtual muscles is britons inflating their imperial throats ;)

btw, most would credit a german (zuse) with the invention of the modern 'computer', although it pretty much depends on how you define it.
    same goes for TV, where i'd say 'the' most significant contributions were done either by a russian (Zworykin). in terms of of a 'real' (electronic) TV i'd have to go with american Farnsworth.

i'd give you the english language, except it was talked already by the saxons on the continent and certainly on the british isles way before the establishment of the United Kingdom...

10. Lau Guest

^ I think you may find that we also invented humour. :p ;)

11. calculus Guest

calculus

We also know how to spell it...

:D:

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

:D:D:D (not true of course ;) )

13. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

You mean like Benny Hill and Mr. Been? I'm not sure you can consider that a contribution to humanity... :p

14. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, let me tell you about the internet. It was a method to enable computers to communicate with each other in the event that a nuclear blast(s) will take out a cluster of computers. This will enable all other computers to launch a counter-attack toward the USSR during the cold war. I’m sure you can trace the “idea” to some other bozo before USA existed, but this was actually built and was “operational”. Is it no surprise that the WWW became public as the cold war ended? They actually called it the "information superhighway". ahh...remeber those days? :)

As for the nuclear bomb of course, we know who invented that one regardless of who “theorized it”. Before you start knocking that invention with peace loving bunny ravings, it prevented WW3 and likely in part powers what you are looking at now.

And where did you get that thing in front of you as well as your automobiles and many other things that were and weren’t invented in America? Robots (invented in America) made them.

Don’t give me this crap about who “thought of it first” or made some crude interpreted version in their basement. No one gives a crap about that. It’s whoever makes it producible in mass quantity that benefits everyone else that gets the credit. :cool:

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And, before we return to our regularly scheduled program, it's Mr. Bean, as in legume.

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

What the hell happened in here over night :eek:

Think we need to just calm down a little. Maybe we should just say that they are all pretty damn good at what they do. In fact, just becoming an Olympian is pretty impressive in its self.

And rasmasyean, it's not American bashing, most just find it funny/strange that America does some things different. Such as the medal table or the way you write the date 8/29/08 would be 29/08/08 to most others.

17. stoich macrumors member

All I have to say is Michael Phelps Rules and the Chinese gymnasts and the Judging are CHEATERS!!!

18. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Once again I find myself banging my head against the wall...

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dood, America is like....so rebellious! They count the medals wrong....and it's like WHOA! This is sooooo going to lead us to all these awesome things.

Let me put it to you this way: There are those who rebel for a cause....for a reason. There are those who "rebel" just to rebel. Rebel against what? Nobody knows. American isn't going against the grain because Option B is better than Option A. Using a different system for declaring the most successful country at the Olympics was done purely for ego. But go ahead and believe that Americans always do things their own way because it's better....*cough*lemming.

And I wasn't bashing America in general. I gave credit to "another great American Olympian" named Carl Lewis. You seem to have skipped that part. I wouldn't have given Carl that much credit if I hated America that much.

You do realize what's going to be in the history books, right?

"In 1995, a great American inventor named George Foreman revolutionized indoor grilling with......" ;)

Can you tell us what schools you have gone to so that we can avoid them? :confused:

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

China, I think, as it happens.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Might I just put in a good word about Lemmings,the behaviour attributed to Lemmings and used in previous posts to refer to non thinking blind following of the leader is in fact a total invention by Hollywood and has no connection to the animals actual behaviour.

22. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Most things aren't manufactured in USA or other Western Nations anymore including robots. But Joseph Engleberger is known as the "Father of Robotics" and made this... Unimate until these types of things were eventually manufactured and evolved in places like Japan, Germany, etc. likely due to the fact that much of America's Science and Technology resources had been diverted toward weapons research and production during the Cold War.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

To be specific, an invention of Disney.

24. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

25. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Guess I should be happy that the politics stayed out of this thread whilst the Olympics were on. So sad to see it descending in to a slanging match. Maybe it's time for the thread to be closed and you can take all the political crap into the PRSI area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.