Americans work too hard

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eraserhead, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

We earn 5 extra vacation days for every 5 years of service (starting with a base of 10 days plus holidays). Been at my job 17 years now and get a whopping 32 days of vacation time each year now.
    There have been several years where I couldn't use all of it, including last year. You can't roll it over and they don't compensate you if you don't us it. Basically a use it or lose it policy.
    Hopefully this year I'll get to use them all.

As for Trump, they're basically being kicked out the west wing while renovation work is done... so it is what it is as they say.

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

In my earlier years as a resident I worked crazy hours. Now that I'm a full time, regular employee I have a much better schedule.... usually slightly over 40 hours per week. The great thing with working in a psych hospital is they're pretty generous with vacation time, mental health can be very challenging emotionally. They actually encourage people to take time just for their own sanity.

But I also am a partner in another company. In the beginning I was supposed to be involved in setting up the policies and procedures, and that was going to be it. But I find myself drawn into working another 15-20+ hours a week on top of my regular job. But at least I get paid for it on top of getting paid to really paid to do nothing. At least my hours there are flexible, but I find if I'm not involved certain things begin to slide. Also, the different owners have different backgrounds and plans/goals (healthcare vs business), so I feel it best to voice my opinion. So it's hard to step back, especially when IMO things don't run as well when I'm not involved.

My hospital job is also difficult to step away from. I feel a profound responsibility to my patients and the timeliness of their treatment. If I'm not there, more than likely their treatment might be delayed. So I feel guilty taking time off, especially something like sick days.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

have you seen how many post we do here??????????? still think we work too hard? :p

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I wonder. I can work and post at the same time unlike some posters here

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

In my experience, Mexicans and Asians work much harder...

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

But do they work smarter? ;)

Personally, through out my entire life. I've refused to mentally or physically put myself through long term stress, to help others get richer. I can't even count how many older Mexicans, South Americans, and Asians I've seen with physical issues due to decades of back breaking labor. And those in corporate in some Asian countries, well we all know about that.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Ha! Indeed. Corporate Capitalism can be brutal - no matter what color your collar is...

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

Germans get that day 1 and only work a 35 hour work week. My contract here is ****... I get no paid days off. The contract goes for rebid in May, so hopefully that will change soon.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I’m always shocked by how few holidays people get in general. The UK doesn’t seem so bad, and lots of US software houses are very flexible with their staff. A friend runs a game studio over there that lets their staff work from home, take as much time off as they need (so long that they don’t abuse it). Morale there is incredible. I contract people and my policy is that so long that the work is done by the deadline I don’t care what you do with your time.

I believe part of the mental health epidemic is due to overly stressful lifestyles and work habits, and that progressive businesses have the right ideas.

I remember the only time I worked for someone else, a desk job (producer), and I found myself and colleagues only working directly on projects for maybe half the day. The rest of it was spent chatting, playing games, checking social media, but in a way that was just killing time rather than relaxing. It was dull.

11. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

My new job starts in August. It pays mid 50's, is on a 9-month schedule and includes 18 days of vacation per year that must be taken within the 9 month period, so I only work roughly 8 months of the year, for mid $50k a year. Not too shabby.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

My observation, based on a fair amount of experience on both sides of the Atlantic, is this:

US companies are incredibly stingy with vacation. Especially for people in their first few years of employment, which of course tends to happen a lot more these days than previously, when people (and jobs) tended towards much longer service. I've known several companies that offered precisely zero paid time off in the first six months to a year. And - as several people have noted - even people with "generous" four or five weeks rarely seem to take them all.

The flip side of this is that (and this is a huge generalization) Americans tend to engage in a heck of a lot of pointless (even counterproductive) "busywork." Employees - and many managers - tend to equate effort (and hours) with productivity. Which is not always the case. I can remember one week in particular, when I had landed one of the most lucrative contracts my employer ever saw, later getting pulled into the sales manager's office and being not-so-gently reminded I was supposed to be at my desk at 7.30. What's worse, many employers tend to look at only the hours one is "on the job" as being worth paying for. But they seem to feel empowered to expect their employees be accessible via e-mail or mobile phone pretty much 24/7.

Come the revolution, things will be different.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Canada is somewhere between the US and Europe. I got 3 weeks starting.

14. statik13 macrumors regular

Depends on industry and location in Canada. I'm pretty happy with my 6 weeks plus Christmas closure.

I think the bigger indicator is how much time you can take off for parental leave when you (or your spouse) give birth or adopt.

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I don't fuss about the vacations presidents take. They work pretty much 24x7. I do get a little fussy on the family traveling at the public expense. But that's the way it is.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you think tweeting is working 24/7?

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How many years you in for that much vacation? I wouldn't say that's the norm for Canada unless you are a teacher or politician. I've worked 3 employers here 2 were 2 weeks, last one was 3. In the US I can't remember getting vacation.

18. statik13 macrumors regular

Twelve years in IT project management. High stress at times but also some nice benefits. Agree that 6 weeks is not the norm. 3-4 weeks seems to be the average around Alberta industries.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I get 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays so it works out as 32 or 33 I think? I work 40 hours a week and never work weekends. Family time is important, I can't believe some countries have so little annual leave?

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

My most recent job contract comes with 6 weeks PTO.

I still lose money talkie it though. I'm on a base salary + productivity bonus structure. Can't earn productivity while not working.

21. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Obviously some industries require more formal scheduling, but my previous company we ran pretty loose - it was more about deliverables, less about M-F/9-5. Of course, some operational and business considerations still need _some_ specific coordination, teams in the same place, same time, client consults, recurring meetings ... BYOB nights :D

I haven't "worked for anyone" since my very early 20s, and that's allowed me the freedom to be very flexible with my schedule - I tend to be heads down, very intense, for 1-2 week sprints, then kind of in wait-and-respond mode, where I can just disappear for 3-5 days, several times a year :)

22. Zenithal Suspended

I work 30-35 hours a week at work, then work anywhere from 15-20 hours from home. I take every Friday off and have been for years. I get every holiday off. I can get a bonus if I want. I can take weeks off without doing much from home. The possibilities are endless. :)

If it hasn't made sense to anyone yet, when you're your own boss and one of three owners of two firms, you pretty much get to do anything you want. I can count the jobs where I've worked for others on one hand. Similarly, my wife is the same, though she'd started years before I met her. She owns a few locations. Different field, and far more complex than the stuff I understand.

The world is our oyster. Though we're focusing on less work and more time with the kids now since they're getting older and better at forming memories. Though for 10-16 weeks periods I'll often work anywhere from 70-90 hours a week to ensure what's planned becomes reality. No one ever said being your own boss was easy. I can't count the number of times I've spent laying in bed wondering about an employee of mine and how they'll deal with an issue I heard through the watercooler. It's a lot of juggling.

I really wish that being your own employer was easier for Americans. It's truly a rewarding experience. Not just money, but how you grow as as individual. The only downside is if you've got nothing to do and everything's running along tickety-boo, you find yourself engaging in a lot of useless personal projects. I myself love DIY. I've redone our driveway about twenty times in 15 years. I've redone the front lawn and garden so many times I'm sure I've got several pairs of sunglasses or reading glasses buried there for someone to find in the future. Or how every fall I strip every sealant on a door or window and redo it. Even if the damn thing comes with a 10 year warranty. It's a waste of money, but it keeps me occupied.

Just the other day I was looking into making your own red bricks. I may have a problem.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2017 ---
    I've always pretended you own a wetworks company.

23. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

That's more of a hobby ... our primary service is custom made adult content.

24. Zenithal Suspended

How kinky. Is POTUS a client? I can keep a secret.

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Or piece work as it was called BITD before we managed to stop it...Oh wait?